Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Commentary

Commentary Dicussion and feedback for Gothic.net articles, fiction, and news. This is where the community gets to add their thoughts and perhaps constructive opinions about the fiction and articles and such.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Eeegor

Game of Thrones Episode 204, Garden of Bones

Quote:
This week’s Game of Thrones propelled the story forward in leaps and bounds. Robb Stark waged war, Joffrey revealed the depths of his cruelty, Daenerys got out of the desert, the brothers Baratheon vied for the crown, and Davos Seaworth helped Melisandre enact one of the most bizarre incidents in the entire Song of Ice [...]
Read the full article...
Eeegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
CuckooTuli

I never noticed that this was being reviewed! And no discussions? You guys suck.

I'm getting a little tired of seeing tits in every shot. The constant nudity was not in the books and is, probably 80-odd% of the time, unnecessary.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
I never noticed that this was being reviewed! And no discussions? You guys suck.

I'm getting a little tired of seeing tits in every shot. The constant nudity was not in the books and is, probably 80-odd% of the time, unnecessary.
I'm interested in the books, but the constant nudity and from what I'm told, an unecessary **** scene that was consensual in the book makes it sound like its not my cup of tea.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I'm interested in the books, but the constant nudity and from what I'm told, an unecessary **** scene that was consensual in the book makes it sound like its not my cup of tea.
I think I know the scene you mean, and I actually thought it was an improvement on the book version, which basically treated the scene in question as **** fantasy turned sexy. I felt that the series depicted it far more realistically: this is a girl who's basically been sold into sex slavery. I actually found it kind of offensive, the way that the book afforded the consolatory bullshit of "But it turns out okay on the wedding night, because Mr. Buy-A-Bride isn't really that bad of a guy deep down!!" It pretty much turned into "They learn to love it", whereas I felt that the series was more into locating her eventual sexual prowess as a matter of survival, rather than simple pleasure in being dominated.

I'm with you on the constant nudity, though. Totes not necessary; the books were all over the repressed sexuality of medieval culture, and its unpleasant classist manifestations in how ****** a peasant is TOTALLY NOT THE SAME as ****** women of gentle birth and breeding. That's not really seen in the sea of nipples that is the series; it becomes hard to distinguish one from the other.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
april13

Wait, what scene is that? I seem to have totally missed that in the books as well as the show.

I was unfamiliar with the books but have read the first 5 after seeing the first season of the show, and thusfar I feel they did a pretty good job transferring them to the screen. Also, I don't feel there is that much gratuitous nudity but maybe that just means I'm a perv.
april13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
*Twitch

They are referring to the Daenerys and Khal Drogo in Episodes 0101 and 0102.
Who condones this bloodlust?

-CONFLICT
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
april13

Right, makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

I don't quite remember the scene in the show but in the book it didn't come across as 100% consensual to me. (as was the case for all 'beddings' described IMO) I also think it was quite annoying how Dani's feelings for Drogo evolved so quickly.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by april13 View Post
Right, makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

I don't quite remember the scene in the show but in the book it didn't come across as 100% consensual to me. (as was the case for all 'beddings' described IMO) I also think it was quite annoying how Dani's feelings for Drogo evolved so quickly.
From what I remember he took her away on the horse he'd just given her and she was terrified about what was about to happen, but once he started he was gentler than she'd expected and she ended up liking it. There was the implication of consent by the time they really got down to it (from what I recall, he can't say anything besides "No" in English, and says "No?" as he hesitates over putting his hand in her knickers, until she lets him). Personally I found the show's approach more honest.

And yeah, the speed with which she fell head over heels was something I found annoying too. And *****SPOILERS***** even after he's dead, she clings to the memory of him with this total unconditional adoration that doesn't square with the fact that she stands against slavery and wanton brutality, which are pretty much the foundations of the Dothraki way.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
april13

Good point about the slavery bit, it hadn't even occurred to me but that's definitely not in line with her character, as was her falling head over heels for no reason. And that sun-and-stars drivel is beyond annoying.

She's one of my least favourite characters anyway.