Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
Fleshmechanik

Exclamation Vampires and Subcultures Survey

Hello!

I am new to this forum and registered here to gain some information on gothic subculture. Just so you know, I am a part of it and am trying to research all the implications of belonging to a subculture and the society around it.

I am a student in the UK and am writing a dissertation of how vampire films (mainly True Blood and Twilight) affect gothic subculture and what gothic people think about these films/series.

Please help me with this and fill in my Survey here! It shouldn't take long and please answer as sincerely as possible. Also if you have any ideas feel free to add them. All your help and effort are appreciated! Thank you! :wink:

Miss Fleshmechanik

P.S. If you are interested I can write here more about my findings or what I'm interested exactly in finding out.
Fleshmechanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleshmechanik View Post
I am a student in the UK and am writing a dissertation of how vampire films (mainly True Blood and Twilight) affect gothic subculture and what gothic people think about these films/series.
Theoretically it shouldn't affect the gothic subculture since it wasn't about the vamps in the first place.

Personally, I think they've ruined the vampire "mystique" with the new movies. They turned monsters into cuddly things. Not cool. Only show that did it in a nice way (i.e tongue in cheek) is Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which ofcourse is a couple of years old now.

All in all, vampires are dead to me now (pun intended).

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Fleshmechanik

EDIT: What I mean is I'd like to know how gothic subculture MIGHT be affected. Sorry, I left 'might' out of the sentence. I'm not saying it IS affected, but it could be. So what I'm researching is the opinion of gothic people and what they think about vampire movies in relation to gothic subculture.
Fleshmechanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Bete Noire

In general I think you're going to find "gothic people" thinking much the same as others on Twilight:

Twilight is a good book... had it been written as fan-fiction by a pre-teen...

Personally I love True Blood, but I'd always filed that under "guilty pleasures."
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Mariner

I found the first Twilight book so uninteresting I couldn't finish it...
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
I had to struggle through it. I can read prettymuch anybook in a day or two..... this book took weeks(This was back when the book first came out), immediately I thought that was the worst vampire book/book I ever read and was glad to be done with it. I expected to never hear of the book again, I never expected all this trash that followed.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Still Jack

Twilight is the literary equivalent of an 8 bar enema of nails and gasoline.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Alan

I like how you included Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That was a good 'goth' show if anyone was.
It was fun and campy, yet with some thought put into it. It's the Siouxsie Sioux of TV. Then again, Sioxsie's a bitch and Sarah ******** Gellar is cool.

EDIT: Check it out. I just found another arbitrarily censored word - the female version of the name Michael.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Angelic Dissonance

Holy Crap, Common Sense!!!! It's not obsolete!!!!! Thank God, man!!!! My theory? DRUGS!!!!!!! DON'T EVEN TOUCH THE BOOK, IT'S EVIL!!! Every page is soaked in a skin-peircing, highly addictive chemical substance, which builds up a need in the reader to turn the page, even though they are still vaguely aware of how bad the book sucks! By the time they're finished, it's too late, and they're convinced that the book was good--even the whole series--but really, it's only a chemical dependency on Twilight merchandise! Then, when the movies come out, they just sit back and rake in the bills by the millions as the Living Steph-Heads come straight to them!!!!! I refuse to even touch them, and thank God I saved my girlfreind in time... She still displays symptoms, but with coaching, she's pulling through!

It's a conspiracy, man......
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I had to struggle through it. I can read prettymuch anybook in a day or two..... this book took weeks(This was back when the book first came out), immediately I thought that was the worst vampire book/book I ever read and was glad to be done with it. I expected to never hear of the book again, I never expected all this trash that followed.
I didn't think it was worth struggling through lol so I didn't bother. I also expected to hear nothing of it ever again...*sigh* I was so terribly wrong.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I like how you included Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That was a good 'goth' show if anyone was.
It was fun and campy, yet with some thought put into it. It's the Siouxsie Sioux of TV. Then again, Sioxsie's a bitch and Sarah ******** Gellar is cool.

EDIT: Check it out. I just found another arbitrarily censored word - the female version of the name Michael.
That particular CENSOR was put in place after a G-Net member got in trouble for revealing the real name of one of the moderators who was in place at the time.

BTW, I like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" a lot (having watched most episodes live when they originally aired and collecting the series on DVD now - I have 4 out of 7 seasons), but I'd also like to include two other shows as my favorite Gothic horror television shows. "Millennium" consistently creeped me out. And for pure Gothic thrills nothing has ever matched the fun I had watching "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" in the mid-seventies.

The pilot movie "The Night Stalker" originally aired as a stand-alone made-for-tv movie in 1972, but it's ratings went through the roof the night it aired. Even though the film has dated music and some campy sexist banter between the TV reporter lead character and his girlfriend, it also has one of the best vampire mythos representations I have ever seen on television. Janos Skorzeny was convincingly superhuman, animal-like in his attacks on people and correctly portrayed as a creature of few weaknesses. The vampire confrontation around the swimming pool where he took out a dozen cops freaked me out. And the sounds he made when they finally cornered him with sunlight and Kolchak staked his heart ... as creepy as fingernails on a blackboard! *shiver*

You can see that movie HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightStalker-Intro
"Chapter One. This is the story behind one of the greatest manhunts in history. Maybe you read about it, or rather what they let you read about it, probably in some minor news item buried somewhere in the back page. However, what happened in that city between May 16th and May 28th of this year was so incredible that to this day the facts have been suppressed in a massive effort to save certain political careers from disaster and law enforcement officials from embarrassment. This will be the last time I will ever discuss these events with anyone, so, when you have finished this bizarre account, judge for yourself its believability, and try to tell yourself, wherever you may be, it couldn't happen here."
This was followed by another movie, "The Night Strangler" in 1973 and the TV series "Kolchak: The Night Stalker", which ran for one season from 1974 to 1975.

You can see the first episode of that series, "The Ripper", HERE.

Modern vampire tales and Gothic horror in general pale in comparison, although I have heard from people I respect that True Blood is a decent "guilty pleasure". Maybe I'll check it out one of these days. I have no interest in reading "Twilight" or any other novels that dilute Gothic horror conventions for the sake of telling a story about teenage romance.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post

Modern vampire tales and Gothic horror in general pale in comparison, although I have heard from people I respect that True Blood is a decent "guilty pleasure". Maybe I'll check it out one of these days.

It's worth checking out, I really liked the first series, and the second was good enough.

The vampires were nicely menacing without being cheesy horror-movie cliches or loved up teens, which was kinda refreshing.

Also, they occasionally feature awesome bluesy music.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
Ben Lahnger

Bete Noire, good to know. Thanks!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Despanan

Vampires are just pretentious zombies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
cultistofvertigo

I took your survey. I've got one issue with it: Dracula isn't a vampire. I really shouldn't have to get into this, but I'm just going to say that Vampires can't turn into wolves, if they could they would be Werewolves and not vampires. Dracula shoots fireballs, teleports, can turn into a giant bat monster, a wolf (and I think a werewolf too), a dragon, a gigantic, 50 meter tall monstrosity, a big ball of faces, and on and on and on. It was cute in the book, because that book was ridiculous, but since then there's no excuse.

That was my only peeve with the survey though. I think this is an interesting question though, because I've been thinking about the same thing. Like, subcultures have their own "norm" view of various monsters and such that's influenced somehow by that style.

Like, goth kids have some affinity vampires, but what you're probably thinking of is the influence of 30's and 40's universal horror movies on the late 70's/early 80's goth rock scenes. So, it's really Dracula that everyone loves. Which is fine, because Dracula is a serious badass and deserves respect. By extension, the vampires goth kids would tend to gravitate to are ones that share something with Dracula, like Count Orlock and the like. You know, monsters.

Emos on the other hand, are whiny bitches, so they tend to glamorize vampires of the pretentious whiny rich kid with super-aids kind. The ones that don't get to turn into cool bat monsters, but still have all the crippling weaknesses. Well, I don't get that at all, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

But what really pisses me off is when they take the powerless version of vampires, take away the weaknesses (we all understand that vampires dissolve in sunlight right? This isn't new... shit, Dracula is weak against sunlight too, and he's on par with King Kong and shit) and give them a bunch of powers in human form I've never heard of before. So now you get whiny rich kids that run faster than the flash for some reason.

So I get the curiosity about the relation between subcultures and perceptions of monsters. Here's a neat parallel: so I've never actually fallen in very well with the general perception of vampires by goth kids, or zombies for that matter (although zombies are more of an ebm thing). But now I'm a haunter too, and I've noticed that the general view on dinosaurs (being the regression to the stupidity of the 60's and early 70's and the complete disconnect between birds and more basal theropods) makes me wanna hit somebody. Shit, Ariel Pink even has a song called "Evolution's a Lie," which is great, but given that there are still a handful of people that genuinely believe that, it's hard for me to laugh at.

Point is, I have a harder time ignoring facts than opinions. Subculture differences are one thing, but screwing up an already established mythology is beyond irritating, especially if the mythology doesn't need to be fixed.
cultistofvertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultistofvertigo View Post
I took your survey. I've got one issue with it: Dracula isn't a vampire. I really shouldn't have to get into this, but I'm just going to say that Vampires can't turn into wolves, if they could they would be Werewolves and not vampires. Dracula shoots fireballs, teleports, can turn into a giant bat monster, a wolf (and I think a werewolf too), a dragon, a gigantic, 50 meter tall monstrosity, a big ball of faces, and on and on and on. It was cute in the book, because that book was ridiculous, but since then there's no excuse.

That was my only peeve with the survey though. I think this is an interesting question though, because I've been thinking about the same thing. Like, subcultures have their own "norm" view of various monsters and such that's influenced somehow by that style.

Like, goth kids have some affinity vampires, but what you're probably thinking of is the influence of 30's and 40's universal horror movies on the late 70's/early 80's goth rock scenes. So, it's really Dracula that everyone loves. Which is fine, because Dracula is a serious badass and deserves respect. By extension, the vampires goth kids would tend to gravitate to are ones that share something with Dracula, like Count Orlock and the like. You know, monsters.

Emos on the other hand, are whiny bitches, so they tend to glamorize vampires of the pretentious whiny rich kid with super-aids kind. The ones that don't get to turn into cool bat monsters, but still have all the crippling weaknesses. Well, I don't get that at all, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

But what really pisses me off is when they take the powerless version of vampires, take away the weaknesses (we all understand that vampires dissolve in sunlight right? This isn't new... shit, Dracula is weak against sunlight too, and he's on par with King Kong and shit) and give them a bunch of powers in human form I've never heard of before. So now you get whiny rich kids that run faster than the flash for some reason.

So I get the curiosity about the relation between subcultures and perceptions of monsters. Here's a neat parallel: so I've never actually fallen in very well with the general perception of vampires by goth kids, or zombies for that matter (although zombies are more of an ebm thing). But now I'm a haunter too, and I've noticed that the general view on dinosaurs (being the regression to the stupidity of the 60's and early 70's and the complete disconnect between birds and more basal theropods) makes me wanna hit somebody. Shit, Ariel Pink even has a song called "Evolution's a Lie," which is great, but given that there are still a handful of people that genuinely believe that, it's hard for me to laugh at.

Point is, I have a harder time ignoring facts than opinions. Subculture differences are one thing, but screwing up an already established mythology is beyond irritating, especially if the mythology doesn't need to be fixed.
You're just awesome cultistofvertigo.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultistofvertigo View Post
I'm pretty sure vampires can turn into wolves since they are fictional and can do pretty much anything the author wants them to, and at the time in several places in Europe it was believed that vampires could turn into wolves or werewolves, and people who were executed as suspected werewolves were burned rather than buried because it was believed that they would only rise as vampires after death. Vampires back when they were in scary stories had far more powers than the ability to sparkle.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #18
KontanKarite

Quote:
zombies for that matter (although zombies are more of an ebm thing).
What the hell are you on about? Zombies are not an ebm thing. EBM is an ebm thing. Even in the arbitrary goth = vampire sentiment, you'd be incorrect. Everyone knows that zombies are associated with Deathrock or maybe Horror Punk.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
creature6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
twilight is crap(book/ film).
Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
What the hell are you on about? Zombies are not an ebm thing. EBM is an ebm thing. Even in the arbitrary goth = vampire sentiment, you'd be incorrect. Everyone knows that zombies are associated with Deathrock or maybe Horror Punk.
Seconded, and extended to meet the character limit.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
kosK1D

the only they could affect our culture is word of mouth if idiots start saying "of they are like that b/c of so and so" then we are screwed. the gothic community is already having to deal with the whole emo thing and im still not sure whats happening there.
in the end i say we'er fucked if more preppies go goth b/c of these movies and tv shows.
kosK1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #22
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
That particular CENSOR was put in place after a G-Net member got in trouble for revealing the real name of one of the moderators who was in place at the time.

BTW, I like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" a lot (having watched most episodes live when they originally aired and collecting the series on DVD now - I have 4 out of 7 seasons), but I'd also like to include two other shows as my favorite Gothic horror television shows. "Millennium" consistently creeped me out. And for pure Gothic thrills nothing has ever matched the fun I had watching "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" in the mid-seventies.

The pilot movie "The Night Stalker" originally aired as a stand-alone made-for-tv movie in 1972, but it's ratings went through the roof the night it aired. Even though the film has dated music and some campy sexist banter between the TV reporter lead character and his girlfriend, it also has one of the best vampire mythos representations I have ever seen on television. Janos Skorzeny was convincingly superhuman, animal-like in his attacks on people and correctly portrayed as a creature of few weaknesses. The vampire confrontation around the swimming pool where he took out a dozen cops freaked me out. And the sounds he made when they finally cornered him with sunlight and Kolchak staked his heart ... as creepy as fingernails on a blackboard! *shiver*

You can see that movie HERE

This was followed by another movie, "The Night Strangler" in 1973 and the TV series "Kolchak: The Night Stalker", which ran for one season from 1974 to 1975.

You can see the first episode of that series, "The Ripper", HERE.

Just watched the movie, and might I just say that it kicked total ass.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #23
Rylee

Has anyone else watched the show Dark Shadows? I found it interesting.
Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
blindNsect

Fleshmechanik- You would come out better approaching Gothic subcultures with qualitative methods. For example, I refuse to do this survey, therefore yer Quantitative Methods are not representative of the sample because I am like, TRUgoth.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #25
humandeathdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
i was like that too but i like the books
humandeathdoll is offline   Reply With Quote