Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 03-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #151
Cruel Intentions

Goths in general are not apathetic (although some may be), in the simplest terms, they just do what they want. How else could we get away with all that stuff we wear/do/drink/etc?

If we were apathetic we wouldn't do anything. We would sit on our backsides all day thinking about doing something and then deciding it wasn't really worth it.

Goth - to me - symbolises the freedom to explore my darker side without fear of prejudiced reprisal.

That's why (I use the word loosely) 'normal' people are so damn sacred to sit next to us on the bus. Or it could just that they don't want to be lacerated by the spikes on my trousers...
Cruel Intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 PM   #152
WolfMoon

Normal people are sacred?

So we really are the freaks then?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #153
Pathogen.

Normal people are sacred? To whom?!!
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #154
Reject_Bunnies

Maybe this is what he was trying to say:
"That's why (I use the word loosely) 'normal' people are so damn scared to sit next to us on the bus".
Reject_Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #155
Magpie_Tendencies

We know. It's funnier with the typo though .
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #156
Reject_Bunnies

I know,I know...sacred
Reject_Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #157
Ruwisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
Normal people are scared? To whom?!!
Normal it is just crowd choice and it does not mean it's always correct.
Ruwisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #158
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
Normal people are sacred? To whom?!!
Er, to whom it may concern?

Old 03-16-2006, 11:45 AM   #159
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Kudos to the other non smokers. As I tell the lads who scoff when I turn down a free cig here, I might not smoke, but I can run a 6 minute mile
Shit, got me beat - my mile time is still hovering at seven minutes 52 seconds... then again, I smoke Djarums, but as you would a cigar, not a cig. I think of the things like personal 3-minute incense sticks: meditative, peaceful, and centering.

Besides! Think of all the fuckers who don't carpool when they drive to anti-smoking rallies. Explain *that* shit to me.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #160
Empty_Purple_Stars

I love my Djarums as well.

Have you tried their new Bali Hai, addtive-free Cloves?

Pretty tasty..

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #161
Sobeh

Bali Hai? My roomie bought some of those... I have to say, I feed my pretention by only buying Djarum Blacks, but additive-free is nice. For a while I tried American Spirit for that reason. Nothing beats joining a circle of smokers and pulling out the only black cig, though.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #162
Empty_Purple_Stars

I agree, the Djarum Blacks are the best..

At least they match my Lungs..

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #163
Ben Lahnger

Um, I'd just like say I don't remember President Bill Clinton ever hugging any bi-sexual cross dressing lads in eyeliner. I know the democrats shy away from the extremes of the support base when they are campaigning, but I didn't even see him hugging a bi-sexual cross dressing lad in eyeliner after he had securely locked up his second term.

\m/ O-o \m/

I am and have been socially and politically active most of my life. I have at different times voted for candidates for president from 3 different parties; I vote for the man, not the party. I don't believe any party could fully represent me. Politically I am most akin to the Libertarians, but I have never liked any of their presidential candidates.

So this thread is full of sweeping generalizations, unprovable assertions and blatant hearsay. Apathy is rampant! I'm impressed anytime I see anyone who is socially or politically active, no matter what their background or beliefs, as there are so few of us out there.

Bah! It's alll thumb twiddling, I tell you!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:21 PM   #164
WolfMoon

*twiddles thumbs*
Old 03-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #165
Ben Lahnger

You get away with that because you do it with such beauty, style and grace.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #166
Godslayer Jillian

Hey, check it out!
I'm in Ben's signature!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #167
Ben Lahnger

Yep! That's 'cause I thought your comment was brilliant!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 03-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #168
CptSternn

I stick by my apathy assertions. I think of MY local pub when I make those comments. Even in the states, I had a local pub, an Irish Punk Rock Bar to be exact (www.mccormaksirishpub.com). Yeah, I know you like the logo.

But like local pubs in Ireland, one thing you will notice behind the bar is multiple sheets and cans. There are list after list of various charities with their cans there for you to drop yer change in and lists selling lines for $1 so you can win a telly or a mountain biker or something for some cause. THAT is political. I mean, at Rosin Dubh in Boston there is a huge brass pot in the middle of the bar with FOR THE CAUSE written on it and they collect hundreds a day from tourists.

So, yes, everyone who goes out to the pub is being political on some level. You don't see this at say a rave/techno club, but those aren't locals. They are more like the hotel/resturant industry, merely providing a service for money, they don't get to know the patrons there.

Your local corner bar or pub would know the regular, they would share the same ideas and yes, they would be somewhat political. Goth nights are for the most part done in pubs and clubs that are much smaller than those big hip-hop house nights and are in more intmate environments. There are exceptions to the rule, but having DJ'ed across teh globe and across the states, I can tell you most g/i events are done in places that hold less than 300 people and usually everyone there knows everyone else by name. Like a local. A goth local, even though only one nite a week, is still a local for those who go. And they don't come in bringing charity sheets or cans, in fact, other than the blood drive that was on gothic.net a while back, I can't say I've even even seen a cause that was pushed by goth clubs, persons, or record labels.

And Clinton and his aides attended my gay sponsored events and fund raisers. IF there had been a gothic charity or fund raiser, I'm sure he or one of his aides would have been there. IF you would have been to any of those events, then you would have met Clinton or his representative and been welcomed, since they would have been a guest.

Ol gw hasn't even met with anyone from the NAACP. Ever. Sends a clear message there - you don't like me and I don't like you so feck off black people. Same message he sent to the gays with the idea of a constitutional ammendment.

But I am getting off topic. Bottom line is if you show up with a bucket or petition at a club and ask for donations/signatures, you will get them at most average pubs, bars, clubs. You won't find people even trying at goth events.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote