Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
Mr.Doobie

Mistrial declared in the premeditated shooting of Larry King...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20100722.shtml

For those of you who don't know, two years ago Brandon McInerney brought a gun to school, then shot the openly gay Larry King twice in the back of the head during computer class. The defense has since attempted to convince the jury that McInerney was not responsible for the shooting, operating on the "gay panic defense", that McInerney was so intimidated by Larry King's flamboyance and how he used aggressive sexuality to counter McInerney's homophobic bullying, that he had no choice but to kill him.

And it's worked. Somewhat.

Quote:
Jurors told Ventura County Superior Court Judge Charles Campbell they were unable to reach a unanimous decision on the degree of Brandon McInerney's guilt for killing 15-year-old Larry King. The nine-woman, three-man panel said they took a series of votes with the last one being seven in favor of voluntary manslaughter, while five others supported either first-degree or second-degree murder.
So apparently it's difficult to decide that telling a classmate the day before the incident that he was going to bring a loaded gun to school and kill King, then bringing a loaded gun to school and killing King, is premeditated murder.

Quote:
Ventura County prosecutor Maeve Fox contended McInerney, then 14, embraced a white supremacist philosophy that sees homosexuality as an abomination. Police found Nazi-inspired drawings and artifacts at his house, and a white supremacist expert testified the hate-filled ideology was the reason for the killing.
Oh, he sounds like he's such a charming and upstanding young man.

Quote:
Defense attorneys acknowledged McInerney was the shooter but explained that he had reached an emotional breaking point after King made repeated, unwanted sexual advances.
...That were responses to McInerney's own bullying. It was stupid and immature, yes, but these kids were all around 15 years old, they all act stupid and immature.

However, since it seems "unwanted sexual advances" are now an excuse to kill, does that mean people can start using a "straight panic defense"?

Quote:
McInerney snapped when he heard moments before the shooting that King wanted to change his name to Latisha, the lawyers said.
This kid is dangerous. He's a white supremacist that killed someone just because they were being all gay and stuff around him. At age 15. What's he going to be like when he gets older?
Quote:
The school administration has been accused of being more concerned about defending King's civil rights than recognizing that his behavior and what he wore -- high heels, makeup and feminine clothing -- made other students uncomfortable.
Of course, this is the angle of the story Fox News is leaning on.

Fuck Fox News... fuck Pac-Man...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404502,00.html

Quote:
The family of a gay teenager who was fatally shot in class blames the school district for allowing their son to wear makeup and feminine clothing to school — factors the family claims led to the death.
Why is everyone so hell-bent on putting the blame on anyone/anything but the person who actually pulled the trigger?

And maybe those "uncomfortable" students need to grow up, accept there are outrageous people in the world, and get over it.

McInerney seems a lot more sympathetic once you consider his dad was an abusive fuckwaste...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ying-jury.html

Quote:
They also appeared to reach out for jury sympathy by calling several of McInerney’s relatives to the stand to testify to the abuse the young boy suffered at the hands of his drug-abuser father.

McInerney was a boy who couldn’t cry, because if he did his father would smack him in the face and tell him to take it like a man, his aunts testified.
And that's really depressing and horrible and sad and all that, but it's still just a smokescreen. That's all this defense has, smokescreens that play off the jury's sympathy and homophobia.

Quote:
Other family members said the father seemed to delight in humiliating his son in public. The father died from a fall while his son was incarcerated.
Well, at least he got to live to see the manly, man man man man man man man he helped his son become.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
CptSternn

It's just like in the 1950's when the black were lynched and juries wouldn't convict the murderers. Thanks to all the right-wing rhetoric, people are once again thinking it's ok to discriminate against minorities and hate gays.

Thats the problem with injecting religion into the anti-gay agenda. People think they are somehow on 'Gods side', therefore have no problem finding murderers innocent as they feel they are doing 'Gods work'.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
Solumina

To be fair to the jurors none of them found him not guilty, some just voted voluntary manslaughter (which always just struck me as odd since if it is voluntary and it is manslaughter that would kind of be murder but that isn't what this is about), it still royally sucks since it ended up causing a mistrial but it is a lot different than saying that he is innocent.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
To be fair to the jurors none of them found him not guilty, some just voted voluntary manslaughter (which always just struck me as odd since if it is voluntary and it is manslaughter that would kind of be murder but that isn't what this is about), it still royally sucks since it ended up causing a mistrial but it is a lot different than saying that he is innocent.
They refused to say he murdered someone, which he did, which is not very different considering it has the same legal effect on the outcome.

Voluntary manslaughter means they felt his actions were in someway justified, which says they support what he did on some level.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Grausamkeit

So....if I start stabbing stupid people I can get away with it due to my rage and intolerance to idiots? Good to know...

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote