Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #76
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Well, science is present in a more dialogue options then locking picking, is used for some of the games crafting, but it seems like in NV it's not used as much for opening stuff as lock picking is.

It doesn't matter to me, though. I just cheat. Have you ever played Dragon Age: Origins? It was infuriating to me that, in order to open any chest I see, I either had to be a rogue, or have one of the two most annoying characters in the game in my party. It wasn't a big deal that time I played through as a rogue... but I have a difficult time explaining how much I hate those two. So now I just cheat to open it. I justify it in that I won't get the experience points for opening/hacking.
Zevran so wasn't annoying! He was comic relief!

/fangirl
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #77
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Well... you need access to shit, man and that's either science or lockpicking. I'm willing to bet that science is more beneficial in the long run.
It is. I'm playing it again and from the start I know that you want to get Science and Speech as high as possible as soon as possible.
I wanna play with energy weapons but it's hard as all you get in the beginning are conventional guns; anyone have any idea where I can find plasma early in the game?
Survival is essential in Hardcore mode and Medicine kind of, but they're very expendable in normal mode. Stick to speech, science, lockpick, a type of weapon, and bartering if you want to explore more of the game. Repair, just get it to 50 so you can make repair kits.

Also, Kontan, if you like the whole killing spree, you might want to try what I had to do:
[SPOILERS in black]At one point in the game it's inevitable that you have to go see Caesar, so don't get vilified by them after a representative calls you.
Unfortunately I was vilified so he wouldn't talk to me. I had to shoot him from the start. As far as the main game goes you get to talk with him, negotiate, deceive, or join him. But you can also get a clear shot and no one stops you. Blow his fucking brain out and prepare for the most intense (both to you and your CPU) fight ever. You have to kill every Legionnaire. Every. Single. One. Took me an hour and a half and like 30 stimpaks, but it was hella fun.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #78
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Zevran so wasn't annoying! He was comic relief!

/fangirl
When he would speak, I would often close my eyes and pretend I was talking to Dracula.

I don't blame you for being a fan girl, though.

My wife loved Wynn and Alistair.

I considered making a healer, once, just so I could get through the game without Wynn for a change. Her character is lame, but she is made of win.

And she loved Alistair so much that she wouldn't talk to him when I was in the room because she felt like she was cheating on me. Apparently, this is rather common on the game's forums.

My favorites were Morrigan and Shale. Because they are awesome.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #79
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
When he would speak, I would often close my eyes and pretend I was talking to Dracula.

I don't blame you for being a fan girl, though.

My wife loved Wynn and Alistair.

I considered making a healer, once, just so I could get through the game without Wynn for a change. Her character is lame, but she is made of win.

And she loved Alistair so much that she wouldn't talk to him when I was in the room because she felt like she was cheating on me. Apparently, this is rather common on the game's forums.

My favorites were Morrigan and Shale. Because they are awesome.
But Antiva=Spain, right? I figured he was more Inigo Montoya than Dracula (Allo, my name is Zevran, you killed my father, prepare to die). I just thought he was fricken hilarious, and also since he was morally ambivalent I had far more room for being devious than if I had Leliana or Wynne around. Actually, the fact that Wynne was the only healer pissed me off more than the fact you only have two rogues. Yes you can get Morrigan to learn the spells but it seems like a waste, and out of character, and I do believe only a spirit healer can resurrect.

Alistair was funny but I hated doing the romance bit with him, first time it happened it was by accident, I didn't think the "I like you! And not for your blood" line was an opener to a romance, and I didn't realize it until he gave me a rose and started making me want to puke. I can see why Alistair gets so many fangirls in that regard but Zevran's romance is more fun, very light and more geared towards his character development, whereas with Alistair is just pure cheese.

I also really loved Morrigan and Shale, and the conversations between the three are fantastic. I also like Oghren for his Lee Marvin-ness.

And to stay somewhat on topic, will be getting Fallout 3 and New Vegas after Christmas, whoo!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #80
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
But Antiva=Spain, right? I figured he was more Inigo Montoya than Dracula (Allo, my name is Zevran, you killed my father, prepare to die). I just thought he was fricken hilarious, and also since he was morally ambivalent I had far more room for being devious than if I had Leliana or Wynne around.
No, you're totally right about Antiva being spain. I just had a hard time concentrating from the raw sex appeal that is the presence of someone who sounds like Antonio Banderas.

I kid.

I know what you mean about moral ambivalence, though. My favorite phrase for a long time was "Morrigan disapproves." I wasn't even a nice guy when I played, but come the fuck on. That bitch was so lucky I had a stash of gifts that I kept JUST for when I decided not to be Hitler.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #81
Sir Canvas Corpsey

/is a Zevran fanboy

There are so many angry bits in DA:O for me though, like at Ostagar, as an elf, you go talk to the Chantry lady and she asks if you want to prayed for, and I was all like: "Nah, your chantry helps oppress my race/I'm dalish I don't do the maker thing" and she's all like "Begone heathen!". For some reason it makes me want to burn her... slowly.

Anyway, I'd be playing NV if I had the money to afford it, but I'll get it eventually, that I am assured of. It got the tick of approval the moment I saw the 'Confirmed Bachelor' perk.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #82
KontanKarite

Ah. Figured it out. I basically kept the first town as a friend and maxed out Guns ASAP. I have 100 guns at lvl 7. Now, I can pretty much raise a lot of hell and cause a lot of pain.

It may sound a bit daft, but I figured what I would do is take each skill that I want a lot of points in and try and max them out one at a time. There's 30 levels in all, so I think for the most part, I'll be causing enough trouble for a lot of people. The whole wasteland pretty much hates me at the moment.

I'm trying to play someone like the Joker. But I had to nerf my charisma, so he's not nearly as debonair as he should be. But he can shoot, stab, and blow up anything with deadly efficiency.

Also: Desp got FO: NV and I got DA:O for him. So far, there's nothing about DragonAge: Origins that I actually like. It's a bit dull to me or maybe my interest lies completely in FONV right now.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #83
Versus

Oh, Alan, I totally forgot:

The game's loot and vendor lists are all scaled to your level. It might be a little hard at first. Try looking for a named weapon. The Silver Rush and the Brotherhood of Steel should have energy weapons, too.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 AM   #84
bettsyboy

love this game!
bettsyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #85
CptSternn

Quote:
Ah. Figured it out. I basically kept the first town as a friend and maxed out Guns ASAP. I have 100 guns at lvl 7. Now, I can pretty much raise a lot of hell and cause a lot of pain.

It may sound a bit daft, but I figured what I would do is take each skill that I want a lot of points in and try and max them out one at a time. There's 30 levels in all, so I think for the most part, I'll be causing enough trouble for a lot of people. The whole wasteland pretty much hates me at the moment.
Thats not the best strategy. First, you will run out of levels before you can get all 100s in your skills - best thing to do is get the perk that gives you double knowledge on books read - you and get it twice - then distribute your points equally and with the help of books you can get almost all 100s.

If you don't you will not get even close to all 100s on things you will need sure.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #86
KontanKarite

I wasn't looking to get completely maxed out. Despite my insanely violent nature, the game seems to think I'm some kind of good guy. I'm vilified in almost all the communities.

But things are going pretty well now. I've been using the chainsaw.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #87
Felreaper

I torrented the game (with the patch and all) and OMIGAWD I LOVE IT.

I need to get the original, too.
Felreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #88
KontanKarite

Followers of the Apocalypse. <333

I'm also digging the Kings.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #89
Vivisection

The only decision I found difficult to make in this game was killing that family of Deathrippers. All of the little babies were following the Mama in a little line and they were all so cute...
Vivisection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #90
KontanKarite

I beat the game. Got the anarchy ending which was a bit of a disappointment because I was REALLY wanting a peaceful kind of anarchy ending. Followers of the Apocalypse were going to be my medical staff, the securitrons were going to be my army of mechanical protectors, and The Kings... I really kind of felt they were my diplomats. I really liked how they had the idea of being an individual but respecting each other. I LOVE The Kings.

Oh well... I'm going to try it again. There will never be peace between the Legion, NCR, and myself. And House... the Followers will profit from his tech this next time around.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #91
Murder.Of.Crows

i tried to do that, House was to cool for me though. Did anyone do the vault mission with the death chamber. Pain in the ass.
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #92
CptSternn

Ever wonder why in Fallout everything looks like the war just happened, even though it was supposedly 200 years ago? Seriously, they can fabricate plasma weapons and flying robots, but no one has figured out how to put down some carpet or paint a damn wall?
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #93
Alan

There's a mod that's sort of based around that. It removes all trash because "really? No one ever bothered to sweep once in a while?"
real classy
Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #94
KontanKarite

You know, if you think about it, 200 years is kind of a long time for humanity to get their shit straight. You would think there would be more civilized areas by now. Plus, all the radiation should be gone by now, being that I think it takes about 25 years for an irradiated area to be habitable again.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #95
Versus

Quote:
You know, if you think about it, 200 years is kind of a long time for humanity to get their shit straight. You would think there would be more civilized areas by now. Plus, all the radiation should be gone by now, being that I think it takes about 25 years for an irradiated area to be habitable again.
A plutonium isotope has a half life of about 80 million years. Uranium is significantly longer.

What do you mean get their shit strait?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #96
Versus

Edit: The plutonium isotope most commonly used in nuclear weapons has a half life of 24 thousand years.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #97
KontanKarite

Oh, I thought I read somewhere that people were moving back into Hiroshima 25 years later. I'm probably wrong.

But what I mean about getting their shit straight, you'd figure that after the war, they'd have some modicum of the kind of civilization we have now in 200 years.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #98
Saya

As far as I know, there were always still people in Hiroshima after the war, lots left but lots stayed behind, but people were still getting sick for a long time afterwards. Mind you more than two bombs were probably dropped in the Fallout war.

But I keep thinking back to Dr. Strangelove where he says after the doomsday device is activated it would take a hundred years >.>
Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #99
Alan

I think you're correct, Kontan. People could live in Chernobyl already. The radiation is higher than in any other place but not enough to cause birth defects.

But think of it this way. There are three things that make the Fallout universe different than ours:
Physics follow 50's sci-fi. Radiation causes rapid mutation in species.
Microprocessors were never invented. Machinery got more complex and more advanced but required much more energy.
Culture also follows the 50's. There's a "better dead than red" attitude that translates into even more rampant xenophobia than the real 50's America.

So couple that with a nuclear holocaust and you get a plausible scenario.
The real damage came with the fallout rains that killed nearly all animal and plant life.
Vaults opened around 2100. FNV happens in 2281. Most people were too afraid of leaving the Vaults, and so we have the plot for the first Fallout.
That main character founded a successful community from 2162 to 2167 and his grand-grandson is the guy from Fallout 2. This game happens in 2241 so there's not that much change between 2,3, and NV.

For the following 60 years after the opening of the Vaults, there were already groups and tribes forming, most notably the Great Khans. Half a century is a decent amount of time to build nomadic structures from scratch.
Most of humankind's (or America's) legacy comes from Vault 15 which was overcrowded and struggling by 2261 (what's with all dates having a 1 in the end?).
In 2196 it evolved into the New California Republic. 50 years forward and it has a big agricultural economy with its own social class of landlords, or more specifically big-name cattle ranchers.

There are 85 years left between that and FNV. Caesar was captured in 2247 by the Blackfoot and became its leader and incorporated the other tribes into his Legion in a matter of years and by 2271 all 86 tribes from the Colorado and Arizona. This empire took 24 years to be made.

Fast forward ten years and you get Fallout New Vegas, with the only city which managed to survive intact to the nukes. Mr. House was off by just one day to save the actual city but its core survived.
Why hasn't THAT grown into a full-fledged city when it already had all the necessary reasons? Because charming and intelligent as Mr. House might be, he is a despot. He is not concerned with the people of New Vegas; he is only concerned with New Vegas. This is obvious when you see Freeside and what they have managed to build and call a city. Mr. House merely tolerates it.
In a very realistic scenario, the Mojave wasteland suffers from a phenomenon that other places don't have, which are the Fiends.

Los Angeles had the Master, but you get one lucky bastard to destroy him and everything he created is destroyed.
The West overall has the Great Khans, but they still have a sense of identity which makes them abide to certain codes.
The biopolitics of New Vegas, however, perpetuate the Fiends. You invite people to vice, trying to fish for their money with drugs, sex, and gambling, but you immediately expel them as soon as they're down (it takes 10,000 caps to be allowed into New Vegas).
You get a bunch of violent junkies looking for a way to survive and a gang that unites them in their desperation which won't be pursued by Mr. House as long as they don't get any closer than Freeside.
New Vegas is safe within its boundaries, but none of its people are outside of it. New Vegas is a machine, not a city.

So the societies and the politics aren't that realistic. Many factions enjoy lands larger than most current European states. NCR has all the southwest, Caesar's Legion Colorado, Arizona, and presumably New Mexico, The Enclave claims legitimate authority over New England, and the Great Khans technically span throughout all the Midwest as a legitimate but nomadic empire, especially after New Vegas. Frankly it would be more surprising that The US would ever be united as is.

The beef is more of the destruction. We get why they wouldn't fix the highways, but how can they have markets from pre-war scraps 200 years later?
What interests me most is what happens with places like South America and Africa? They must have suffered horrible environmental disasters but there's no reason any nuke was targeted at them and Fallout doesn't reach that far. You probably get a place that has no Post-WWII technology but that lacks mutations and still probably enjoys havens of genuine rainforest. That's the only way the earth could still survive in producing enough Oxygen, and I'm pretty sure Bethesda has enough lateral thinking to eventually incorporate that into the canon.
real classy
Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #100
Alan

Sorry, I meant to say the societies and politics aren't that UNrealistic.
They're very consistent once we take the first three assumptions of that world.
real classy