Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #76
maggot

Yeah. The art of writing is much different than the art of talking.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:45 AM   #77
mydnyght

Xnguela-my comment wasn't about THIS site!! hahahaha it was a TOTALLY lame ass site with dumbass people!! this site is totally kewl with awesome people!!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #78
Blushing Heliophobe

Wow! That is cool! Are we using our exclamation points to indicate enthusiasm! Or is there another reason!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 AM   #79
mydnyght

properly? oh DO define....
Old 03-07-2006, 06:49 AM   #80
mydnyght

enthusiasm!!
Old 03-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #81
Blushing Heliophobe

Okay!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #82
WolfMoon

I can't believe I'm doing this.

I've seen a lot of the replies and feel I must do so in kind.

Not because I feel compelled to, but because underneath my gruff exterior there is a genuine need to inform. I'm not the 'be all, end all' of what goth is or embodies. I just think that there are people out there that don't really have a clue and still call themselves 'goth'.

So here goes:

Q1. Would you describe yourself as a Goth?

Absolutely!

Q2. Why? What does Goth mean to you?

To me, it means having a genuine love for the sub-culture. The music, the fashion, the people, the diversity it's still so refreshing to me.

Q3. How do you like to dress during the day and at night?

I normally dress in dark or black clothes, but there are some pastels in my closet that never go out of the house. When I go out I normally dress to the nines. I wear my 20 hole docs or pointy boots, fishnets, skirts, corset tops, hair falls. I like the bondage look and can't get enough of buckles. The vampire aesthetic is also very pleasing to me as well. I don't consider it 'goth' to wear fangs. I'm just a vampire-lovin' freak.

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it?

I'm not trying to convey any message with my clothing, at least not any that I'm conciously aware of, maybe 'I'm waaaay outta your league, fratboy!'. Meh. I just dress in what I feel comfortable. If I had a corset for every day of the week, I'd never wear anything else.

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture?

Before I got involved or researched anything I too thought that 'goth' was just a bunch of kids in white-face trying very hard to make their boring little lives more interesting. Sometimes I think that's what they thought too. Silly babybats.

As I've researched over the last few years, expanding my knowledge, I've come to love and identify with something that was once just a casual interest.

Q6. What sort of music do you listen to and what do you like about it?

Ahhh, the music. I love the 'gloomy' sound of the older bands. I love the passion that I hear. Some of my faves are: Christian Death, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Bauhaus, The Sisters Of Mercy, Ministry and more. There are newer bands, but I like to stick to the classics, I guess I'm kind of a retro in the scene.

Q7. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I mostly take care of my two kids and work when I'm not online. I sew and paint when I have the time and write weird little snippets of poetry that pop into my head as I'm drifting off to sleep.

Q8. How interested are you in art and literature?

I'm more into art, although I do like to find a good little bit of dark prose from time to time. I love Da Vinci, he's the man when it comes to art. You can have all the expressionism and modern art you want as long as you leave me Da Vinci.

Q9. What ideals do you think you share with other Goths, if any?

Ideals? I'd like to see more of the younger generation educated on the beginnings of it all. I mean musically, at least. If you don't know who the bands I listed are, then I'd have a hard time considering you goth. I don't share the ideal that it started with the 'beat' movement, probably because I don't identify with beatniks.

I'd also like to see a return to the DIY aspect of things. What did goths do before they could buy things online? They made them!

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why?

You're kidding, right? Wake up and smell the Emo!

It bothers me greatly, I wish people would move on to something else. But it's marketable to a bunch of wanksty teenagers trying to freak out their parents. I don't see the trend stopping anytime soon, argh!

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it?

I've noticed a huge difference between the two. It seems that the younger generation is always saying "It's a state of mind I don't have to dress, listen to, know blah, blah, blah..." It's not a state of mind. It's a music genre and a lifestyle. To me, it's like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't. You can be in the military, a seceretary, businessman, computer geek, college student, etc. and still be goth. But you only are if you are.

I also don't like the fact that some people seem to think we're like a bunch of dark hippies. I don't like hippies. I don't resemble anything from the 60s. I'm not some moron that thinks that holding hands and giving people flowers is going to change the fucking world!

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)?

That's a tough question. In my opinion you can't have one without the other. If you're going to embrace a certain lifestyle, you need to know all you can about it. It's sad that so many people nowadays don't know shit. It's agrivating. It's also agrivating to be asked what I am or what it means to me. sometimes I'd like society to just piss the fuck off and leave me alone so I can listen to my SoM and Christian Death in peace.

But I can't honestly look at some people and call them 'goth'. Elitist as it sounds, I could never consider someone that looks like a raver a goth even if they listened to Bauhaus.

I guess that's my two cents and then some. Way longer than I wanted it to be, but oh well.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #83
student

Thanks Wolfmoon, that's pretty damn decent of you to do that for me, considering how vehemently you protested when you found the thread.

You're a top lass and a gorgeous one to boot
Old 03-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #84
WolfMoon

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #85
Metatron

Quote:
It's not a state of mind.
Hey! Way to totally contradict what I said. :o
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #86
Circle V

Ability to accept contradiction and ambiguity is a sign of a highly creative mind-- that is, according to a random paper that my art teacher left lying around.

I rather like contradiction. It's no fun if there's a right answer for everything.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #87
Cruel Intentions

Back to the question...

Not really, I just use the term loosely to describe the look and my liking of death metal.

Someone who is impartial or favourable to things that most people find disturbing.

Practicality comes first. I'll wear my gothic stuff when I'm not at school or work. They're quite strict on dress but I'll wear unobtrusive stuff like my ring or necklace.

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it?

Not really. If anything I just want to show my individuality and that's really having to think about it.

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture?

I originally thought it was more a sort of punk type image but after listening to bands like Emperor and Cradle of Filth I realised it was much darker, and therefore much more appealing.

Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom, Emperor, mostly the darkest stuff I can lay my hands on. I don't know why it appeals to me. I just think that the sound is great and the lyrics are almost like poetry. Obviously it doesn't sound that way but in reading them it's absolutely amazing the skill that Dani Filth has in writing (assuming he writes his own lyrics - I don't know).

Not much, I either sing death-metal for my band or I play video games.

I'm not so fussed about art but I like a good novel or a poem from time to time.

That I really don't give a fuck about what other people think of my appearance. It's what I like.

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why?

I don't know. On one had it would mean that people would be less afraid of me on the bus but at the same time it would be degrading to all 'real' goths when the neds/chavs started wearing it.

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it?

Yeah. the older goths know what they are talking about. The younger goths (12-15, I would say you know what you're on about when you hit 16) are closer to wannabe's.

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)?

I think what I know and how I feel comes first and foremost but how I express it is equally important. Careless talk costs lives.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #88
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
Hey! Way to totally contradict what I said. :o
Sorry, love. I'm not one of those that thinks that way about it. If just anyone can call themselves a goth then what's the point of having our community? I'm not saying that you can't be goth if you happen to <3 bands like Queen or Johnny Cash(shut up!). All I'm saying is that if 90% of your music is country or emo or whatever, I'd have a hard time not laughing if someone called themselves goth.

If you're a hard core hip-hopper, you're not goth.

If you're a hard core country fan, you're not goth.

If you don't have a love or appreciation for the goth music, you're not goth.

So, quit being an assclown.j/k

Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #89
Metatron

I didn't mean mindset quite like that. I meant goths share a similar mindset in that they prefer dark over light, Vincent Price over, say, The Carebears. Music plays a part in it, but if your wardrobe consists of pants three sizes too small, and your room is covered with posters of Jesus, chances are you're not goth. That doesn't mean that there aren't goths that are Christian, because I would sound pretty damn stupid if I were to say that. Goths have very developed senses of humor in that we tend to get humor out of things that 'regular' people might find gruesome or offensive. The mindset comes with an acceptance of very diverse people for most, probably because they were/are the outcast because of their differences.

NO SIR I AM NOT AN ASSCLOWN, NO I AM NOT.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #90
Iriacynthe

Student, I've answered your questions, but now I have some questions for you too.

First of all: how's your work going? I hope this thread really helped you.

What I was really curious about, is how your views on the goth subculture changed through your research. Did you know a lot about gothic before you started it? Did you already have any ideas about gothic that have been proven completely wrong, or were the things you learned not really a surprise to you? As an outsider 'visiting' our subculture, what are your impressions? Are they positive (which I hope), or rather negative? And why is that, what has influenced your ideas about gothic the most? Do you find it hard to get a proper view of a subculture without being a member of it, or do you feel the subculture is generally quite open for outsiders who want an inside look?

I'm very curious about your answers to these questions, and I wish you good luck with the rest of your work.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #91
She_Is_My_Sin

I've been hanging around this topic for a while, I'll have a go at answering the questions.
Hmm mostly. I can't really explain how, but I'm not totally.

Seeing things & trying things in a new view. Perhaps even thinking in a different style to others.

During the day it's usually jeans & a t-shirt. Maybe a black skirt & my DMs when going out. When I'm going to a party or concert I make an effort. I'll normally wear expensive & formal evening wear stuff, much more make-up & my best jewelry.

Maybe subconciously. I think it stems to the issues of when I was about 12. I had all my hair cut off short & dressed like a boy. I don't know why but I started to feel sad & un-feminine. I guess all my pretty dresses, make-up & long hair just try & show how feminine I am & that I'm no longer the tomboy I was known for.

Well before I sort of lumped it in with the people who listened to heavy stuff. I wasn't too sure about it then. Even when I first got into it I still wasn't sure about what was 'proper' or where Goth originated.

Well I like Tristania, The Sisters Of Mercy, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Theatre Of Tragedy, The Cure, Kate Bush, The Smashing Pumpkins, Siouxsie & The Banshee's, Theatres Des Vampires. I guess I don't like to limit myself to one 'theme'. I guess listening to older stuff makes me more upbeat, than say listening to Theatre Of Tragedy. I also see listening to music as inspiration for my creative projects.

Sit for a while & go on the computer, write, paint & draw, cook. I read, but everything I'm reading, I'll finish after my exams.

Well I'm big on art, as I hope to have it involved in my career when I'm older. I don't visit galleries as often as I like, but when I do I like to make the most of them. I'm interesed in reading quite a bit, I like my fantasy books & maybe the ocassional horror. I tend to get abit frustrated with complex books. I attempted to read Dante's The Divine Comedy & gave up halfway through Inferno. On the poetry side, if I read something I like I'll look for something similar. I'm partial to both William Blake's poetry & art.

To be honest, I don't know that many goths. I know one & she's into anything I am, because I got her into the scene. That & the fact her parent's were. But I'll share the odd idea on music & fashion with them.

Yes. It would simply become one of those things people into the mainstream would chew up & spit out. They'll only do it because fashion makes them, not because they want to.

Yes. I think when it comes to the older ones, who were there at the start of the scene, they would have a better understanding, than say the 12 year old who does it because the want to be an 'individual'. The older ones tend to be more unique in both ideas & style, rather than the 'wannabe's' that have just hopped onto the bandwagon.

It's easy just to distinguish a goth when they're in typical clothing, you don't really see what's in the mind. For all you know they might not have a clue about goth themselves. It may be a main theme in goth, but not as important as the content. I feel I'm a lot more confident with the way I feel about myself now & how I am. I know myself better & am much happier now, than I was in a way. But then again any 15 year old girl could give an opinion to this question in a similar style, goth or not. (sorry that was just a random thought there )
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #92
Jane13

Q1. Would you describe yourself as a Goth? Yes

Q2. Why? What does Goth mean to you? Goth basically is a blanket for the things that interest me and the ideas that drive me.

Q3. How do you like to dress during the day and at night? Usually black jeans and some sort of tshirt at school, but more stuff like flowy dresses and boots and silly old-timey hats when I'm out with friends.

Q4. Are you trying to convey a message with the way you dress? If yes, what is it? Not really... I just dress in what looks good to me, what feels normal. Sometimes I think it's a reflection of what *I* see in the world.

Q5. Has your view of what a Goth is changed over the time you’ve been involved in the subculture? Not really... just my knowlege has grown. The people in the subculture are very diverse, and there's always something interesting to leard. So, I guess it hasn't changed because I'm still interested.

Q6. What sort of music do you listen to and what do you like about it? I like Goth Rock, Darkwave, New Wave, Death Rock, Industrial, Punk and lots of other things including classical and jazz. I like it becaue I like things that have a very fine, sketchy line between hilarity and horror.

Q7. What do you like to do in your spare time? Spare time? I'm an American highschool student, I have no such thing! But I enjoy reading, RPGs (mostly Call of Cthulhu and Rifts), video games, comic books (reading and drawing them), writing, and generally creating things. Sometimes I break apart broken machines like VCRs and make things out of the parts (jewelry, mixed media art).

Q8. How interested are you in art and literature? Very. Especially gothic horror and esthetacist literature, expressionist horror cinema, and renaissance and boroque artwork. I also consider comic books to be an artform.

Q9. What ideals do you think you share with other Goths, if any? I don't know that goths really share many common ideals besides a tolerence for diversity and a need for answers (more "how" and "Why" than "When" and "where").

Q10. Would it bother you if Goth went mainstream and became a fashion trend? Why? It HAS and is DOES, but only slightly. It's pretty easy to pick out who's who.

Q11. Is there a difference between younger Goths (12 – 17) and older Goths (18+)? If yes, what is it? Not much, except that the younger goths are more likely to be less informed.

Q12. Which, if either, do you think is more important in your subculture and why: style (what you wear and how you look) or content (what you know and how you feel)? Content. You can't function as a subculture if there nothing behind the pretty clothes.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #93
Jane13

Thanks, sis ^^ Um.... what calandar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron
That doesn't mean that there aren't goths that are Christian
Absolutely right. The goth culture embraces any religion so long as the individual has respect for the beliefs of others. Don't be a stupid head, know the culture, know yourself, and everyone's cool for the most part.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #94
Suiside_Kitty

Aww, sorry we missed your B-day, Jane! Happy late birthday hun. XD
Inside you.
+++++++++++

http://www.myspace.com/social_phobic
Old 03-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #95
Jane13

That's SOOO sweet!! Thanks!

Thanks, Kitty ^^
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #96
Wise Child

Hmm... probably. Sorta. Yeah, but... well, I'm into the fashion and literature, but I'm not really that into the music.

Mainly, to me it's an awareness that what you see around you, the prescribed lifestyle all the billboards, magazines, general media try to force on you, is bullshit. I don't give a shit what my house looks like or what kind of car I drive. I value knowledge and happiness above anything else, and that stuff doesn't make me happy. It just doesn't. Also, there's a nasty side to life and people who pollyanna about like the life the media offers you is real annoy the fuck out of me. If you wanna buy bullshit, go for it, but at least be aware of what matters. I know, I know - it sounds very cliche and angsty. But it's not, really. Just because pretty much everyone says it, doesn't mean there aren't people out there who actually mean it. And most of thos people who I know personally are goths/punks/people who dress funny. Nowadays, you need a healthy dose of cynicism, I reckon. Keeps you from blind stupidity, and keeps you questioning what's around you.

It's also about diversity and respect for other people's lifestyle choices. And creativity, ideas and finding beauty in unusual places, from theunconventional to the downright twisted. I agree wholeheartedly with the person above (can't remember) who mentioned finding humour in the horrific.

It varies. Mainly I'm pretty lazy in the day - jeans or combats with punky T-shirts. If I'm wearing a plain top, I have millions of necklaces, of varying sizes. Wrist cuffs, belts - I likes my accessories. I also like babydoll jumper dresses with knee boots. I always wear dark eye make-up, day or night.

At night, I generally get my rack out a bit. If it's a casual night I'll go for black jeans and a lacey top, mostly black, or dark jewelly shades - if it's all-out, leather mini and thigh-highs all the way. I also love strappy bondage-looking shoes, although I only have one pair.

Not really. If I like it, I'll wear it. There's no conscious effort to look "goth", and a fair bit of my wardrobe isn't.

I don't know if I really had a view of the sub-culture. I just liked the look, and gradually started buying more and more stuff that falls under the heading. I'm not heavy into the subculture - in fact, I wouldn't really describe myself as a goth unless someone asked. Even then, it's not a simple yes - more, well, I like this and that... sort of thing.

Queen, because they just rule - I don't care if you're goth. Seventies and eighties punk, some of it non-hardcore to the point of being questionable (e.g. Boomtown Rats, Velvet Underground, The Damned, The Jam). Classics like The Rolling Stones, Guns 'n' Rose, and John Lennon (although I never really went crazy over The Beatles). Fpr recent music, mainly rock and metal. I couldn't say exactly why I like what I do, except that it sounds good to me. And Paul Weller is a trouper who deserved his Lifetime Achievement award for songwriting (I forget what awards that was for...)

Read (some gothic, a shitload not), write, have crazy drunken nights out, have mellow stoned nights in... I'm very social and like to see my friends as much as possible, even if it's just for a Diet Coke and a quick game of pool (which I'm dire at).

Extremely. My degree was literature, as is my postgraduate thesis and hopefully, eventually, my PhD. Art... not so much. I don't dislike it, and enjoy it when I see it, but it's not really something I seek out. I've never been to a gallery.

Probably just sensitivity to the dark side of life, even though I'm a pretty upbeat person.

Not in the slightest. How people dress, what they listen to etc., is their own business.

I really couldn't say - I don't really know any young 'uns, exceot the ones on here. But since they're constantly being commended for their maturity, I'd imagine there is a difference, as there is with any generation gap.

I don't really consider myself part of a subculture, to be honest. If I like it, I'll wear/read/listen to it. Although I'm prepared to loosely accept the tag, I don't really consider myself as "other" from the mainstream - whatever mainstream means nowadays. And I think my gothicness is highly questionable. I mean, I don't own a single Sisters of Mercy CD. If pushed, I'd say content.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Old 03-10-2006, 03:26 AM   #97
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
We've got a calendar?!

*goes to add birthday to it* :o

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #98
welshmafia5

Could you help me out?

Hi. I'm new here, but I'm also not goth. I am, however doing a research paper on gothic culture and was wondering if anyone here could give me some personal feedback on what it really is like to be goth. If you guys could post anything, just tell me a little about yourselves and stuff like that it would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #99
Empty_Purple_Stars

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lemme check;

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Closed
Old 03-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #100
Reject_Bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshmafia5
Hi. I'm new here, but I'm also not goth. I am, however doing a research paper on gothic culture and was wondering if anyone here could give me some personal feedback on what it really is like to be goth. If you guys could post anything, just tell me a little about yourselves and stuff like that it would be great. Thanks!
This originally was a thread all it's own(And locked)...how did it get posted here?!
Closed Thread