Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Sendo

Monologue for School

My creative writing class assignment.

The assignment was:
To write a monologue or short scene that is inspired by a quote on a piece of paper that Ms. Chambers gave us. Luckily for me, one was a quote by Anne Rice.

The quote is:
"Do you know how few vampires have the stamina for immortality? How quickly they perish of their own will. The world changes, we do not: therein lies the irony that finally kills." -Armand
(Interview with a Vampire, Anne Rice)

The challenge for me:
To blend my style of writing with Anne Rice's so that it those sentences from the quote do not appear as beacons in a sea of shit.

The Monologue:
Do you know how few vampires have the stamina for immortality? Very few, that is for sure. Most are not adaptable, perfect predators. These "predators" perish of their own free will, their minds too weak to wrap around the comings and goings of people. The trends in everyday life. They allow themselves to waste away, forgetting the dark opulence from whence they achieved their immortality. The world changes quickly, a whirling, twirling mass of flailing limbs and blood curdling screams. As vampires we must navigate that vortex, for we are trapped in it as long as there is fresh blood upon our lips. Those who would fling us vampires from that whirlpool must be the saviors of those incompetent vampires. But, as the world changes, those saviors are few and far between. The vampires live longer and longer, blindly searching for that stamina which other vampires possess by nature of our beings. The stronger vampires must then replenish our breed, for even in our strength we are lonely, and not all of the vampires created for companionship have the stamina for immortality. Therein lies the irony that kills.
Sendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Apathy's_Child

Your English teacher gave you an Anne Rice quote to work with?

Fuck, that's depressing.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Sendo

Nope, this was for a creative writing class, not an English class. If it was my English teacher, I would have gotten a Twilight quote.

Could you, then, tell me how you think I did with the quote that I was given?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
JCC

It's basically just vacuous babble written in the stereotypical mould of the well-spoken, smug vampire aristocrat constantly asserting his own greatness, but since you were working from an Anne Rice quote I guess that you should be lauded for consistency.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Sendo

I'd rather my words mesh with Anne Rice's than clash and have hers stick out, the consistency was what I was aiming for. Thank you.