Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Metabolik

Smile Your Musical Evolution.

What music did you start on, and then eventually started to...'evolve' lets say.
Here is my evolution.

I started on eminem (unfortunatly)
Then I started listening to Greenday
Then Red Hot Shilli Peppers
Then My Chemical Romance(toilet)
Then finally the good stuff, Disturbed
Then Slipknot(my alltime faves)
Then all types of black metal and death metal
and lastly In Flames
Old 08-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
Splintered

Roughly,

Linkin Park (This Video) => Linkin Park, Whole Band => Godsmack => Dope => DevilDriver / Dimmu Borgir => Lamb of God, Slipknot, Mushroomhead, DragonForce => In Flames, Children of Bodom, Hatebreed, Trivium => Dark Tranquillity, Iced Earth, Kreator, Bolt Thrower, Agalloch => Behemoth, VNV Nation, Hammerfall => Velvet Acid Christ, Atheist, Nile, Rotting Christ, Goatwhore, Front Line Assembly, Cannibal Corpse, FinnTroll.

Very, very roughly, missing hundreds of bands.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Cicero

Where are we starting in this evolution? I'll just start from what I actually remember...

1994 - 1995: Roxy Music, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, David Bowie, Eurythmics
1996 - 1997: Madonna, Madonna, Madonna + Random anarcho punk from my Aunt
1998: The Offspring, Blink 182, Smashing Pumpkins
1999: No Doubt, Hole
2000: Silverchair
2001: Placebo, Placebo, Placebo, Placebo, Placebo
2002-2003: AFI, the Distillers, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Marilyn Manson, the Birthday Massacre
2004: The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, Christian Death, London After Midnight, Oingo Boingo etc. Began worshipping Rozz Williams >_>
2005: Sex Gang Children, Dead Can Dance, Cinema Strange, Theatre of Hate, Current 93, the Vanishing, etc
2006: Type O Negative, Corvus Corax, a whole bunch of ethereal stuff, and All Gone Dead
2007: Virgin Prunes, Hatesex, Bohemien, Deadchovsky, and I've gained newfound appreciation for Specimen.

There's a lot of bands missing from there, and a lot I could probably have edited out, haha.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

Damn, this seems hard, but I'll try:
Tchaikovsky -> Linkin' Park -> Metallica -> Evanescence -> Korn (from then on) -> Rammstein -> Lamb of God -> Slipknot -> Dimmu Borgir -> Cradle of Filth -> fuck Cradle go back to Dimmu -> Marilyn Manson -> Zeromancer -> Nightwish -> Velvet Acid Christ -> My Chemical Romance -> The Cure -> Seether -> Muse-> The 69 Eyes -> The Birthday Massacre -> Lacrimosa -> Xandria -> Within Temptation ->Tristania (or Sirenia, can't remember) ->The Cult -> Blue Man Group -> London After Midnight -> Dead Can Dance -> Sisters of Mercy -> The Mission UK -> Depeche Mode -> Bauhaus -> Fields of the Nephilim -> The Cruxshadows -> Siouxsie and the Banshees -> Christian Death -> Faith and the Muse -> Mephisto Walz -> Cinema Strange -> The Deadfly Ensemble -> Mortiis -> L'ame Imortelle -> Malice Mizer -> L'Ame Imortelle -> Mindless Self Indulgence -> Sex Gang Children -> Southern Death Cult -> Smashing Pumpkins -> Specimen -> Alien Sex Fiend -> Nox Arcana -> Clan of Xymox -> Switchblade Symphony -> Tragic Black -> All Gone Dead -> Peter Murphy -> Voltaire -> The World Inferno Friendship Society -> Kaizers Orchestra -> Stolen Babies -> Ataraxia -> Corpus Delicti -> Rosa Crux -> The Cranes -> Diary of Dreams
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Porphyria

*thinks*

CCR -> Led Zeppelin -> The Doors -> Black Sabbath -> Metallica -> Motorhead -> Danzig -> Slayer -> Ministry -> Hatebreed -> Sepultura -> Tiamat -> Amorphis -> Emperor -> Dimmu Borgir -> Cradle of Filth (I see a pattern emerging here) -> Arcturus -> Moonspell -> My Dying Bride -> Girls Under Glass -> E Nomine -> Frontline Assembly -> Apoptygma Berzerk -> Velvet Acid Christ -> Razed in Black -> The Cruxshadows -> Switchblade Symphony -> Rasputina -> The Tigerlillies -> Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -> Edith Piaf -> Rosin Coven-> The Dresden Dolls -> etcetera and blah.

I'm sure there was other stuff going on too, but these are all the musical obsessions I can remember having in what I'm pretty sure is chronological order.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porphyria
The Tigerlillies
YEAH!stuff
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
MollyMac

My mother's voice to lots of Elvis and Patsy (1985),
Simon and garfunkel; Peter, Paul and Mary (1987)
Creedence Clearwater Revival, David Bowie and Melanie (1990),
then to Metallica, Tesla and Paddy Reilly (1992),
then Hole, Babes in Toyland, Concrete Blonde and Soundgarden (1994),
then Stone Temple Pilots and Walter "Wolfman" Washington (1996),
the Pogues, Heather Nova, Live and Moby (1998),
then Poe, Jania Ian, John Bartley and Koko Taylor(2000),
Loreena McKennitt, Dixie Chicks and Jeff Buckley (2002)
Ryan Adams, madeline peyroux and Joan Osbourne (2004)
now The Tossers, Stuart Cassells, Catgut Mary, Sinead O'Connor
Old 08-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
TopHaggardDoll

1989 (when I was born) My mum liked to play Siouxsie and The Banshees and my dad liked to play The Sex Pistols and Charged GBH etc. I liked it. XD!

2001 (when I was 12, aaaaw): I liked hippy crap like One Giant Leap.
2002: My mum bought me a Marilyn Manson album, then I bought a Rob Zombie album that same year.
2003: Still Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie but add Rammstien and Nirvana, later that year I discovered Sisters of Mercy and The Damned.
2004: Discovered Lycia, Tristania,, Mortiis Zeromancer, Christian Death, Bella Morte and Nine Inch Nails.

Around 2003 and 2004 I tried to get into BM/DM and decided I really didn't like it.

2005: Started clubbing got into Combichrist then quickly got out of Combichrist but continued liking The Covenant and Rotersand.
2006: Joy Division, Patrick Wolf, Nina Simone, The Cruxshadows, The Bauhaus, Dead can Dance, Fields of Nephilim still liking other music I discovered. Only started getting into BM. When I discovered Xasthur, Nortt, Djinn, Velvet Cacoon and Dark Ambient like Striborg and Objekt 4.
2007: All pretty much the same....apart from Portishead, I discovered them this year.

I sort of went backwards with the metal thing, rather than liking metal then moving into more goth music....I liked goth music then started liking a few metal bands. I think it's because it's so hard to find the more obscure, depressive BM bands.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
Metabolik

Everyones evolution makes mine look like crap i'm sad now.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Linen

Wow, I have liked SOOO many different artists and bands in my lifetime, and sooo many different genres that I can't even begin to type it all out. My musical tastes have changed greatly since I started college, and even moreso in the last couple of years.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
IsolatedReptile

<2000: Most the X-Files soundtrack.
2001: Filter, Led Zeppelin, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Static X
2002: Skinny Puppy, Bauhaus, Front 242, RiB, The Doors
2003: Joy Division, NIN, Christian Death, Joy Division, AFI
2004: Wu-Tang Clan
2005:
2006:
2007: Common, Lupe Fiasco

Once I graduated high school in 2004, my musical evolution just takes leaps and bounds and I am constantly listening to something new. The flavor of the week right now is Lupe Fiasco, Common, and Naledge. They're all pretty deep rappers, but still, right now I'm listening to the No Tanks! box set, which is pretty much nothing but '77 punk.

The three most common bands though are Bauhaus, NIN, and Wu-Tang clan. Joy Division and AFI are probably the next most common. In the last year or so though, you can just check my last.fm/user/JoyDivision46/ account. That gives the best idea.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
Miss_Nobody

I used to listen to pop bands like Play and No Secrets. But now I love My Chemical Romance, Emilie Autumn, Rammstein, Die Warzau, Jack Off Jill, Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer, You Say Party! We Say Die!, She Wants Revenge, Skillet, 30 Seconds To Mars, Kittie, Lacuna Coil, Mindless Self Indulgence, and Sick Puppies.
Miss_Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
LadyLucretia

2000: The Sex Pistols, the Dead Kennedys, MXPX, Sublime, Smashing Pumpkins, No Doubt, Nirvana, Metallica, local punk and metal bands (Sour, V.O.S., etc.)

2001-2003: Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie, Joy Division, And One, Alien Sex Fiend, Christian Death, the Empire Hideous, Cruxshadows, Bella Morte, Depeche Mode, the Chameleons, Faith and the Muse, 45 Grave

2003-2007: Frank the Baptist, And Also the Trees, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Strange Boutique, Fields of the Nephilim, The Legendary Pink Dots, Psychic TV, New Model Army, Cinema Strange, Virgin Prunes, Death in June, the Tiger Lillies, The Naked and the Dead, Bell Hollow, Veronica Lipgloss and the Evil Eyes, etc. etc. etc. My tastes have gotten more eclectic and avante-garde over time.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #14
ForgetThisLostLenore

Well it went from various pop, to Green Day and Good Charlotte when I was in early middle school, then AFI, HIM, 30 Seconds to Mars, Evanescence. Now it's some of MCR's old stuff, a new appreciation of Danny Elfman's stuff for Tim Burton movies, some Queen, Bauhaus, Beach Boys, just random stuff from everywhere. I've always had extremely eclectic taste, since as I was growing up, my mom played Edward Scissorhands, and my dad played 80s rock.And my nana was Elvis and Beach Boys
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #15
Upcoming Dawn

When I got into music I only listened to fake punk such as Green Day or Good Charlotte. Then I discovered a band called Splashdown, and they made me realize I didn't know much about music. Then I started listening to Trip-Hop, then New Wave, then Goth Rock. Now I listen to pretty much everything, including real punk music (The Stooges, The Ramones, The Damned, The Clash...).
Upcoming Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
MaguMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucretia
2003-2007: ... And Also the Trees ...
\m/

Yeah, s'about all I have to say on that, other than these guys don't get enough recognition, so it's nice to see mention.
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
biohazard

Well I'll try(skipping a lot of bands though):
Linkin Park->Disturbed and other Nu metal bands(Some j rock as well)->Trivium, Lamb of God, Dark Tranquillity-> Chimaira, Metallica->Children of Bodom, In Flames, Still Remains, As Blood Runs Black -> The Cruxshadows, Within Temptation, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy -> Grendel, Dimmu Borgir, Darkthrone, Emperor, Satyricon -> Cradle of Filth, Slayer, Job for a Cowboy, Nightwish -> At the Gates, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Venom, Iron Maiden -> Amon Amarth, Norther, Ensiferum, Kalmah, Opeth, Illnath, Moonspell, All that Remains, Sonata Artica, Blind Guardian, The Black Dahlia Murder, Emmure, Suicide Silence, My dying Bride, The Vision Bleak, Paradise Lost.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #18
PortraitOfSanity

I was pretty hippy in 6-9th grade, lots of Phish, Grateful Dead, Dave Matthews etc. I still listen to most of it.

10-12th grades started to get into punk and metal in equal amounts. Mostly pre-80's punk, and speed/thrash metal. Lots of Iron Maiden, old Metallica, etc.

After High School it's been more punk, more metal, but both more underground, and combinations between the two. Lots of Grindcore, Doom Metal, Crust Punk, D-Beat, Melodeath, Black Metal etc.

Today, it's mostly Doom, Black, Crust, Melodeath and Grindcore. Lots of drone, especially Sunn O))) and their side projects, also The Angelic Process as sort of avant-garde drone. Lots of Paradise Lost/Anathema/My Dying Bride style goth/doom. I worship Napalm Death. Been listening to a lot of Scandinavian folk metal; Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Hildr Valkyrie, Moonsorrow etc. I'll probably add more later.

Oh and Carol Ann, they fucking rule.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #19
LetheanBlacklight

Metal -> Classical -> Metal -> Goth Rock -> Jazz(fusion)/Funk (after I picked up the bass)
Old 11-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #20
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Tchaikovsky -> Linkin' Park
The keyboardist of Linkin Park is related to Tchaikovsky.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #21
JCC

Shit Music -> Good Music
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #22
Albert Mond

Smile

Pop, Folk, Jazz, Opera, Musicals, Soul, R'n'B -> Pop, Metal, Punk -> Goth, Metal, Post-Punk, Alt. Country, Reggae -> Goth, Prog Rock, Rap, Pop, Metal, Avant-Garde, Psychedelic, Soul -> Anything
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #23
PortraitOfSanity

One band I can't let go is U2. Every time I hear their old stuff it still affects me.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #24
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
One band I can't let go is U2. Every time I hear their old stuff it still affects me.
Likewise. It starts with nausea, followed by dizziness and hemorrhaging occurring primarily within the ears, and then finally sever, persistent migraines and suicidal thoughts.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #25
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Likewise. It starts with nausea, followed by dizziness and hemorrhaging occurring primarily within the ears, and then finally sever, persistent migraines and suicidal thoughts.
Heathen. Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree are amazing.