Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
thedoll

Fake

sorry, this has just been bugging me for awhile...

I work with many people who attended my highschool, our dress code is all black so nobody can really differentiate each employees sub-culture or what not. We all get to know one another, because eight hours around the same people youre bound to have conversation.

People have been so blunt as to let me know "wow i would have never spoken to you in highschool, but youre actually (insert generic compliment)"

WHAT?!?!??!

so youre saying if we werent in uniform, you never would speak to me? because i dont feel comfertable in todays "hottest" fashions, im not deemed important enough to speak to? how can people be so horrid? how can one just look at me and decide im not worth talking to?

i dont understand that thought process... not one bit.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
Crimson_Terror

Well, I do agree that it isn't fair, but you have to understand that we live in a society that judges people based on outward appearances, especially in highschool. And unfortunately, most people just don't want to take the time to get to know others, so they judge something obvious, like clothes.
Crimson_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Doll: do you work at Chili's? I have noticed this year they switched from green to all black "uniforms". I have noticed a few other retail and services businesses have done the same. I wonder if retail and service businesses are trying to ride what they perceive as the "pop-goth" wave?

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Rizash

Well... the worst is even if you chose NO style... (I wore generic color t-shirts and jeans year round when I was in school) people still heckle you to death over intelligence (be it greater or lesser) music, opinions, etc.... I hated school to the point of missing a ton of school simply because I couldnt stand the people anymore. I'm a rather sensitive person and the constant verbal abuse just demoralized me to the point of not even caring about education... and I've always prided myself on being a notch above social norms.... So to all of the sudden not care about learning... it side-tracked my life for almost 10 years. The entire "group mentality" doesnt help in school either. Hanging out with someone outside a group of friends can really cause someone to be heckled a lot.... I hated the entire social structure. At any rate... some people just arent "comfy" talking to people outside their groups... or people who seem to belong to those groups.
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
thedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I wonder if retail and service businesses are trying to ride what they perceive as the "pop-goth" wave?
i work at calvin klein, i think its more the idea that its more professional than... say yellow or green? it also leaves very little room to stand out wich is what they're going for.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
Old 12-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
thedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizash
people still heckle you to death over intelligence (be it greater or lesser) music, opinions, etc.... I hated school to the point of missing a ton of school simply because I couldnt stand the people anymore. I'm a rather sensitive person and the constant verbal abuse just demoralized me to the point of not even caring about education...
i actually transfered to homeschooling, because the harassment really affected my school work and self-esteem and what not.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I think that in your mind and in yourself people should know that they are beautiful, and that society is always going to be judgmental.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
om3gag0th666

You guys are retarded, I'm sorry. You don't belong to a sub-culture, you belong to a pile of imbeciles who think you are intelligent. It's all hog-wash lunancy, autofellatio.

Now if you'd all kindly pull your heads out of your asses and realize that standing-out isn't as important as being smart. If you want to look like the hollywood murderer, and killer but have a good heart, you are just sending mixed messages, and you deserve what you get. If people persecute you for your CHOSEN APPEARANCE, you earned the discrimination.

It's not racism, it's not sexism, you picked up those pants with chains on them, and that beanie, and the wrist bands and fishnets, you wanted to look like an idiot.
om3gag0th666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Sometimes we express what's on the inside on our outside. We can be intelligent and still dress the way we do. If we all blnded in, then we wouldn't be true to ourselves. I mean yeah, if you're getting harassed and it makes you really upset then maybe you just get help and dress normal, but still, we're not stupid because we dress the way we do.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
Draconysius

People are asshats. That's just how society is. Don't worry about high school, though. Most of the kids there don't want to be there, so they'll do anything to keep from being bored including harassment, flirting, vandalism, etc. The high school years make up probably the most vain period of a person's life. When college comes around though, it changes. People grow up... most of them.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gag0th666
You guys are retarded, I'm sorry.
Birds of a feather flock together. (Here you are with us, day after day)

Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Humane my dear friend, you have a good point there.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

Actually, Omega is one of the ones with the most reason in this thread.
First of all, I want to clear out that I do not consider myself an idiot. Wearing fishnets is not idiotic; although I dislike all the other fashion accessories he mentioned.
And I do believe that while we could be eldergoths in that we know the original gothic and deathrock bands and all that jazz, I believe we all (including myself big time) have heavy superiority colmplexes. But I would include Omega in that category too.
Finally, in what I agree with him is something I have already said many times before:
We decided to look like this despite sociey's view on the gothic subculture. I cannot believe people are still shocked by what they hear behind their backs.
If you can't take the insults on your looks, change them!
Logic 101.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Exactly what I said. If you don't like getting harassed, change the way you look, if you don't care, then dress the way you do.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
om3gag0th666

If you guys CAN handle it, then do not complain. I never did, and I dressed like a total retard, trench-coats, big ass boots, etc. etc.

I was a bad-ass mother-dude. I just got sick of it eventually and grew out of it, now I like to look SUPER-NORMAL so I can shock people with my disgusting interests.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #16
HumanePain

I take the funny looks and questions as part of the territory of Gothdom. In my comment to OmegaGoth, I was not trying to justify whining about other people who judge us by our appearance instead of our thoughts (as should be the case, but "humanity doesn't work that way" as a wise compadre once said), I was merely whining about OmegaGoth's discourtesy to this community, as members of this particular community should know better than anyone to judge by our words and not appearances. Read the book, not the cover. (But I do not expect NON-Goths to have that attitude.)

Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
I dressed like a total retard, trench-coats, big ass boots, etc. etc.
Omega, I'm curious about why do you refer to a style as idiotic.
Inanimate objects such as clothing cannot be stupid; only the symbolic meaning its owner chooses to imbed on them can be.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #18
om3gag0th666

I dressed like a total retard does not refer to an inanimate object, idiotic can also mean foolish, or callow.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #19
Cicero

Funnily enough, part of the reason I dress differently is because of the occassional negative reactions I get.

If someone passes me a dirty glance just because I happen to look 'idiotic' (or in my own opinion, 'fabulous'), I can be fairly certain they're not worth a second of my time. On the other hand, if I recieve a compliment for looking as I do, I might have come across someone whom I may just find interesting.

That being said though, I've experienced very little negativity based on how I dress, and most was very subtle. The compliments far outweigh the dirty glances. I think the most 'bad press' on the gothic dress style stems from spooky kids with awful taste (or no taste at all).

No one should complain about the reactions they get for what they wear. Those who really take it to heart what other people think should question who they're dressing up for. I think there are far too many young goffik types out there who seem to dress 'like total retards' just so they have something to complain about when people treat them badly based on their looks.

To the threadstarter: ignore those people. If anything, they shouldn't be deemed important enough to talk to.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #20
PersephoneX

i have a chain, for my pants and skirts...its a big one...and i like it! Cos i stole it off a fire escape at my band's first gig! And i wont stop wearing it, because its special to me!
And i'm an idiot! i already knew that. i'm not a goth, i've never claimed to be one...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #21
om3gag0th666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Funnily enough, part of the reason I dress differently is because of the occassional negative reactions I get.

If someone passes me a dirty glance just because I happen to look 'idiotic' (or in my own opinion, 'fabulous'), I can be fairly certain they're not worth a second of my time. On the other hand, if I recieve a compliment for looking as I do, I might have come across someone whom I may just find interesting.

That being said though, I've experienced very little negativity based on how I dress, and most was very subtle. The compliments far outweigh the dirty glances. I think the most 'bad press' on the gothic dress style stems from spooky kids with awful taste (or no taste at all).

No one should complain about the reactions they get for what they wear. Those who really take it to heart what other people think should question who they're dressing up for. I think there are far too many young goffik types out there who seem to dress 'like total retards' just so they have something to complain about when people treat them badly based on their looks.

To the threadstarter: ignore those people. If anything, they shouldn't be deemed important enough to talk to.
So you're shallow, nice.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #22
MotherofMercies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
i have a chain, for my pants and skirts...its a big one...and i like it! Cos i stole it off a fire escape at my band's first gig! And i wont stop wearing it, because its special to me!
And i'm an idiot! i already knew that. i'm not a goth, i've never claimed to be one...
OMGZ teh truth cumz out!

I am a self aware person. I can't stand when people give me the evil eye or gossip about me. So I have chosen to steer away from the "LOOK AT ME I AM A FUCKING INDIVIDUAL" clothes. Though, when I am around people I know orI am at parties I do dress up, because I feel no negative energy.

My advice is, if it gets to you maybe you should change the way people percieve you. And if it doesn't, then honesetly who gives a fuck?
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #23
Cicero

Quote:
So you're shallow, nice.
Extremely shallow

Though only when looking at people in large masses. When observing individual human specimens outside crowds I'm a lot less preoccupied with appearance.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #24
HumanePain

Quote:
So you're shallow, nice.
Omega, have you ever seen Cicero? I don't think you would say she was shallow if you had seen her:
Beautiful Cicero

Old 12-07-2006, 11:22 PM   #25
om3gag0th666

So what if she's attractive? She's still shallow, shit.