Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
rita123

Disadvantage and advantage for the high heel shoes

Reasons against wearing high-heels, which are almost exclusively health and practicality reasons, include: 1.they can cause foot pain 2.they can create foot deformities, including hammertoes and bunions 3.they can cause an unsteady gait 4.they can shorten the wearer's stride 5.they can render the wearer unable to run 6.altered forces at the knee caused by walking in high-heels may predispose to degenerative changes in the knee joint
Women who wear high heels frequently have a higher incidence of degenerative joint disease of the knees. This is because they cause a decrease in the normal rotation of the foot which puts more rotation stress on the knee
Reasons for wearing high-heels, which are almost exclusively aesthetic, include:
they change the angle of the foot with respect to the lower leg, which accentuates the appearance of calves .they change the wearer's posture, requiring a more upright carriage and altering the gait in what is considered a seductive fashion
1.they make the wearer appear taller 2.they make the legs appear longer 3.they make the foot appear smaller 4.they make the toes appear shorter 5.they make the arches of the feet higher and better defined 6.they make the lower leg muscles more defined 7.they make the gluteus maximus more defined 8.they may improve the tone of a woman's pelvic floor
rita123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
honeythorn

Almost all the reasons against would really only apply if high heels were worn pretty regularly .

I would agree with the running thing though. No matter how well balanced you are no one can run full pelt in 5 inch heels for very long, or without tripping. You never know when you might have to run for some reason ( being attacked would be one of the first things to mind horrible as it is ) .

That said you can always rip off your heels and run in bare feet, and hope you don't have to sprint through glass or gravel ect.

Also, plenty of people end up with breaks and fractures in the feet and ankles after a trip in high heels, which is another reason against.

They do look lovely though. I have some 5 inch Patent black heels with a reasonable platform sole, and I feel rather good when wearing them. They certainly make my legs look better/longer . But I don't have much opportunity to wear them so I can't walk in them too well just yet, I should start wearing them to the pub all the time! ( I don't drink much so getting plastered and falling off them shouldn't be a worry )
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Saya

Yeah, I work with a girl who dislocated two bones in both her feet from wearing heels (I can't remember the name of the bones), now she has to wear a knee brace. I just can't walk in them, and I look too freakishly tall when I wear them. I hate being taller than my date >.>
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
honeythorn

I need the height as I'm only 5'5 ^^ I rarely wear heels or pretty shoes as I have little occasion to. Mostly it's heavy boots for work and walking in nature, in the mud and grass ect. So I only have 5 or 6 pairs of heels ranging from a couple of inches to the 5 inch patents.

I would like to wear them more often if only to get practice walking properly in them , but at the same time I don't want mangled feet!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
korinna5555

Eh.. heels aren't good for you. even short term. Improper footwear (be it heels or ill-fitting shoes) can even lead to things like TMJ problems.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Solumina

Heels are actually better for me that most other shoes (yay for ridiculously high arches) and I love how they look so I wear them pretty frequently, I'd say at least once a week. Plus I always run on the balls of my feet so I can run full tilt in heels without any problems (even ran an obstacle course in a pair once as part of a bet, only shaved about 10 seconds wearing trainers)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Kalitrima

I'm pretty terrible about footwear. I either wear shoes with no support or heels. I'm five foot nothing, though, so I prefer heels. And with my figure, I need all the help I can get. Most of the time, though, I'm just in my house, so it's barefoot times.

Whenever I go looking for new boots, I look for platform boots and the like. More height and less heel is always good. Just recently, I bought. . . well, isn't there something about newbies not being able to post links? Just Google 'bordello 1025' and the image will come right up. They're comfortable to me, but I don't know how good for me they technically are. Any thoughts? D:
Kalitrima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
xXxRobynxXx

I wear platform heels pretty regularly, my shortest ones being 4", and never once have I tripped. Those gel soul inserts are pretty amazing and eliminate most of the pain for me. I've never tried running though..and I don't plan on it, but I could easily just kick them off. The heel could become a pretty good eye stabbing weapon at that point too.

Kalitrima,
The arch doesn't look too bad on those. But like I said, if you worried, Dr. Scholls will come to the rescue. ;D
xXxRobynxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Pineapple_Juice

Generally I don flats, just because they're more comfortable, but I do love a pair of heels. Then again, if I'm going to wear a high shoe I prefer wedges just because they're more comfortable and easier to walk in. I've got some black peep toe wedges and they're about four inches. Only issue is that I feel wrong walking about with exposed toes when I don't have a pedicure. It's odd.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
korinna5555

I usually go barefoot or wear my soft-sole mocs.
I'm looking into Vibrum FiveFingers.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Pineapple_Juice

Sounds like something one would find in an adult toy store.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
honeythorn

I've seen them. Weird looking things and rather expensive. But I'd be interested to try a pair out for a week and see what they were like.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Solumina

Jake has two pairs, honestly the black ones don't look that weird unless you really look at them so they don't get too much attention from strangers, his gray ones are a little bit more obvious though. He loves the damn things, apparently they make it super easy to climb and are really comfortable.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
Pineapple_Juice

Oh God. I've just googled them. They're horrid!