Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
//Nacht

I'm.gonna.go.cut.myself!!!11

Hey hey, lurker here. I think I made an intro awhile ago. People say I look Goth/Emo, but I'm not sure what those are, so I guess I'm doing a little research here. There seems to be a lot of different types of Goths... So what ties them all together?

Here's a little profile:

Hello everyone, my name is Hajime and I am:
A curious 17 yr. old boy, a student, a anime freak(kinda), and a fool. Oh, and my favorite color is neon green. I'm sure everybody cared. I'm going to try to be more active in the forums, so I guess I felt like making a reintroduction.

Should I do those questions again? My taste hasn't changed much, but I do hope that I learn more about this pop culture.
//Nacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
DepthsofSpace

I'll assume the title was a joke, and move on.

Goth is about the music, doesn't matter that much how you dress. You might want to check out the music section and listen to some of the groups there, you might find something you like. You might be pleasently surprised.

That said, obviously Goth is somewhat about fashion, and that become an extention of your persona. Just sort of a way of expressing your individuality.

Repost your old questions and maybe update them. I'd like to know what sort of music you currently listen too.

(And for a humourous take on the 'flavors of Goth', see here.)
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Green.Lady

Er... hi. As long as you know it's not all about the fashion, I think we'll get along. I'd like to know about your favourite bands and movies. I haven't watched much anime, but do you have a favourite?

Welcome.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
PersephoneX

What is your problem?
I dont like you.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
killer_asian_Dax

RE: Your title "I'm.gonna.go.cut.myself!!!11"

All I have to say is: "YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't make a mess"

*moving on*

Feel free to ask questions and learn, but don't make stupid titles such as the one you made for this post.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
//Nacht

M'kay, thanks, mates. Yeah, I hear that Goth is mostly about music, but it's still very diverse and I still don't understand how it all relates to one another. Is Visual Kei Gothic? I mean, I know some Goths that dress Victorian and stuff, and they seem to like that instrumental stuff, but then I also have other friends who have that whole Hot Topic thing going on, and they're Goth too? So I don't understand it. In a way, clothing relates to musical taste, yeah?

I probably sound like a troll, but I really do want to understand this. So, lurking the music forum a good idea?
//Nacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Methadrine

Here we go again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
StasisInDarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
Hehe touche.

Perhaps they thought that they were being ironic or some-such nonsense...
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Nacht
Is Visual Kei Gothic?
Visual Kei is 'gothic', but not goth. Some of them grabbed a lot out of the goth subculture, but there's not much, or rather anything, that really ties visual kei to gothic rock. I don't have a problem with people that like visual kei bands, they just happen to like visual kei, but you have to learn to leer like me at the people that grab visual kei as goth and seem as if they think gothic rock came from Japan, and seem to think even being Otaku is Goth!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
Green.Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Nacht
M'kay, thanks, mates. Yeah, I hear that Goth is mostly about music, but it's still very diverse and I still don't understand how it all relates to one another. Is Visual Kei Gothic? I mean, I know some Goths that dress Victorian and stuff, and they seem to like that instrumental stuff, but then I also have other friends who have that whole Hot Topic thing going on, and they're Goth too? So I don't understand it. In a way, clothing relates to musical taste, yeah?

I probably sound like a troll, but I really do want to understand this. So, lurking the music forum a good idea?
AGGGGHHHHHH to the first paragraph.

Yes, please God lurk the music forum. Goth has nothing to do with the clothes you wear, young grasshopper. I can understand why a newb to our culture might think Visual Kei (such as Malice Mizer) is 'goth' because of the song titles, fashion, and Halloweeny sound effects, but it's really, really not. Like, at all.

Gothic culture came from post-punk, a music genre that was pioneered by bands like the one in my siggy. Read my signature. READ IT. (Christian Death is actually deathrock, but you'll learn about that later, we'll take it one step at a time...)
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
Stormtrooper of Death

Yes, what she said. And post punk came from good old first wave punk. WOOT!
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote