Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #51
I Am Great.

Oh, so you're a "Put on a song, wait until it ends and put on another song" DJ, then?
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #52
Cicero

Also known as a CD changer and person-getting-way-too-much-credit-for-pressing-a-button, yes. And in a list of goth-friendly jobs I'm assuming that's the type of DJ being referenced, since the famous superstar DJs tend not to look like Robert Smith.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #53
I Am Great.

You don't know the right ones.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #54
Cicero

No, I probably don't. I would like to know them though... enlighten me, oh Great One?

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #55
Tea and Cake or Death

you could be a telemarketer.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #56
KontanKarite

You know what, Cicero is right. Seriously. I'm usually down with all of you, but for real... fuck you guys. You guys are great, but for right now... yeah. Fuck you.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #57
I Am Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
No, I probably don't. I would like to know them though... enlighten me, oh Great One?
Rabbit Junk, although now he's more into digital hardcore. Back in the day, he was one mean mother fucker.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #58
Barfing_Rat

How about just start a business? Just suck it up and go for clean cut looks and get highest paying job you can find, save like crazy for a couple years, get a house, and come up with idea. Then start business and quit the job. That way you can live in your own little empire if you play your card right. World is going through some serious huge changes right now... Many change like never seen before are being made everyday. Almost everyday I see or thought up of a opportunity that would easily fetch some serious bucks. So I know it's not impossible to start and run a successful business at this point, hell I'd say with right business, you will have even more chance of successing.

Or... you can just suck it up and find a industry or company you're really interested in. Let say you really want to work for a local business that is growing. Keep try get ANY jobs you can get, even if it mean you'll be scrubbing toilet and stay on hands and knees to scrubs floor all day. Once you get the job, get know to the right person... Someone who will be around very often who work closely with manager and is trusted by manager, but not the manager (they usually re too busy for lowly entry level worker crap). Once you find out who this person is, get know to this person very well, start to learn as much about the business in and out as possible. Try to spot a flaw in their method of doing business, any possible of improvement, or come up with a solution for a small problems that will work better than what others can think up of. Let the person know about it. This may take a couple efforts. But once they see you really know what you're talking about, they'll be forced to keep you around if they want the business to get better. That's when you can start to do really well and get away with more things than most would.

I seriously believe that it's not that hard to do well in life if you are able to think outside of box and give mass populations or businesses what they need or desire. Just look at Netflix and Hershey for example. Netflix make it easier for people to browse for movies and rent them. Hershey is king of chocolate and almost every candy making companies want to buy some chocolate from them. It did them extremely well.

Also once you start your own business or get into the upper manager level party, you're basically almost a empire of whatever you built. So... I say just start thinking about what you want to do for rest of your life, not how to make moneys. So I'd just say get any job you can for now and try to decide what you want to do for rest of your life then go for that goal. Don't be one of those washed up people who regret that they didn't follow their dream.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #59
Barfing_Rat

Damn... I Am Great seems to be getting extremely upset over whole thing. Buddy... calm down, it's his life, let him mess it up. He'll learn one way or other.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #60
I Am Great.

Hey, if I'm not allowed to fuck up no one else is!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #61
KontanKarite

Why must is be an issue to have your cake and eat it too? /whine

Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #62
Barfing_Rat

lol at least you're a good friend to have and I mean it, Duckman. Personally I cannot really give a damn if people take advice or not. So... are you well to do? It sound like you are.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #63
I Am Great.

I'm not, but that's by choice, not because I refuse to tidy myself up. I'm happy with my situation, apart from the whole court ordered sobriety and lack of love life.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #64
Barfing_Rat

Ah I understand. Yeah things can always be better. You can definitely improve your life situation and it will get better.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #65
gothicusmaximus

Apparently, you could work for NCIS.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #66
KontanKarite

LoL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #67
Lolly PopMuzik

I'm too lazy to sift through the responses but is there a college education or major at hand? If not, maybe you should think about going back.

I have agree with the realistic lot because at one time or another, you're going to have to play the game and it's much better to prove your worth and gradually as well as TASTEFULLY weave in your true colors.

I mean, I'm looking for a job too and if given the choice between 40+ hours of good job security that gives me the ability to do what I want for the rest of the hours in years to come and a cruise control life of Special Effects/Punky Colors and clubbing with nothing to do with myself, I'll take the job without question.

But overall, there's no need to get hung up every single time some aspect of your life doesn't resemble a snotty neo-Victorian ball/Gloom Cookie at the club. Seriously.

PS: I've tried my hand at the DJ thing before and it was a small night so I'm pretty damn apprehensive since San Diego tends to be a very oontz/Goth top 40 crowd and moods can make or break you.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #68
Godslayer Jillian

You know, this is why I've become disenchanted with the goth subculture.
I don't care when people say it's a phase, or that it's too much emphasis on a musical style, or such.
What pisses me off is its wimpyness. Goth isn't an offshoot of punk so much as punk with its fangs cut out.
A popular 'gothic guide' says that when punk split into Oi! and anarchopunk, that it was gothic rock who maintained the spirit of true punk (the nerve!)
But actually it does have a point. The Sex Pistols, nothing but an alternative marketing plan (no matter how cool, that's what they were) and their precious Sid Vicious certainly have more to do with Siouxsie and the Banshees than Crass.
Countless times emo has been said that indeed it comes from punk but is entirely different and quite a sad evolution for punk. Well, it's exactly the same with gothic rock.
It certainly can't be punk when the term "Corporate Goth" is perfectly acceptable. Where's the relationship with punk when there's no normative hopes for equality and liberty?
Individuality - the one abstract term Goth is supposed to appreciate - has more to do with Victorian capitalism than leftist non-conformism.
Even that article about the boys from the Lancaster case mentioned us as peaceful law-abiding citizens. Certainly I don't want Goth to go back to being associated with sociopaths like Columbine, but what's so fucking alternative about being a perfectly law-abiding citizen that just dresses black?
Maybe some people actually see what I'm complaining as a virtue. That goths are just regular people that look differently and listen to different music. But then what's so punky about that? It's worse than pop-punk; at least those kids are trying to rebel in the only way they were taught to.
Goth becomes nothing but a blankie. The music is not particularly more artsy than other genres, and it's not subversive at all. The look shouts difference, but yet goths can't stop stressing just how alike to 'normal' people they are. Just another part of the status quo fitting in a niche to feel more comfortable when facing life's struggles.
Fine! I'm fucking ranting, so I'll go back to the point of this thread:
I understand the attitude behind those that don't want to change for a job, but I'm going to go with the so-called 'realists' in here.
You're selling yourself, and they're buying you, so you can't complain. And so shall I be when I get a job. Either I will live a fucking awesome life or I'll end up selling my principles and my life for eight dollars an hour. But in both cases at least I won't be lying to myself that I'm choosing to move the same direction as the strings.
So, don't complain about selling your looks; you are already a whore after all.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #69
Barfing_Rat

Hey other thing you can do is... Be a goth model... But good luck getting that job. Those who manage to make a living at it do very well at it. But you better hope you're at least 6'0, preferably around 6'3. Some of the most famous female goth model such as Scar13, Szardova, Kellie Laplegua are 5'7 or 5'8 so they definitely want a taller guy.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #70
TopHaggardDoll

Thankyou Godslayer Jillian.....

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #71
Splintered

So basically Goth is dead too? First God, then Punk, now this.

Thank god I'm not a Goth then.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #72
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
So basically Goth is dead too?
What did you think all this black was for, anyway?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #73
I Am Great.

L PM, you rock.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #74
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

All I have to say is DJ Shadow is a god.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:15 AM   #75
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfing_Rat
Hey other thing you can do is... Be a goth model... But good luck getting that job. Those who manage to make a living at it do very well at it. But you better hope you're at least 6'0, preferably around 6'3. Some of the most famous female goth model such as Scar13, Szardova, Kellie Laplegua are 5'7 or 5'8 so they definitely want a taller guy.
OMG! MODELING!
I'm not even gonna go into my rant about how basically anyone can be an "alt" model these days, no matter how hideous to look at. Not even gonna....
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote