Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Pancakes of Doom

Question A place to start?

I want to get in to DIY; but I'm a guy with very little sewing experience. So, what are some victorian-style things that are easy to pull off?
Pancakes of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Lucretia_my_Reflection

i've been wearing Victorian for years start out by buying something thats from a thrift shop or something cheap so if you screw it up it won't matter. then change it to be your own style with fabrics such as lace,crushed velvet,brocade,etc. Better yet, go and buy a cheap top hat/suit hat and design something for it and then saw your design onto the hat
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
KontanKarite

A jabot is fairly easy to make actually.

What you want to do is just make sure that the jabot is fairly circular and then let gravity take its course. It will pull the circular fabric down into the frilly thing that you see many romantigoths wearing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Minyaliel

You could start out, as some suggested, just decorating old pieces of yours and altering them. If you feel ready for the challenge (not really that difficult if you've got an eye for shapes and how they fit together), learn how to sew. An easy project I can think of off the top of my head would be a cape or pirate pants (you know, the wide thingies with elastic in the waist). Kind of cliché, but possible to do. Do not use expensive fabrics. Oh, and old curtains are your best friend. I adore curtains; often get them in thrift stores, wash them and use them in my sewing projects. For instance, I recently made a kimono out of a pair of old curtains from the 60's or 70's. As curtains, they must've looked absolutely horrible, but the kimono looks cool. =) Anyway, recommended reading: http://www.gothfashion.info/beginsew.php
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote