Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #26
KontanKarite

I have a majestic hawk up right now. Very trad-deathrock in fact.

I used very little hair spray and pure cold blasting air. In fact, for a deathawk, You don't really even have to section it off so much.

Just do a comb over, lightly spray, and gradually and gently tease it until it gets really volumous. Then, just lean your head the opposite way and let it droop to the other side where you lightly spray it again on that side. All the while, sporadically use cold blasts of air while your head is leaning. This keeps the sides straight.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #27
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
I want a purple one, or maybe black, with the sides buzzed..
My fiance isn't too keen on the idea though.. I will post a picture showing why when I get my wireless fixed.
What a wuss, I think you'd look great in a purple mohawk. I'm assuming your hair is longer than in the pictures though?
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #28
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I have a majestic hawk up right now. Very trad-deathrock in fact.

I used very little hair spray and pure cold blasting air. In fact, for a deathawk, You don't really even have to section it off so much.

Just do a comb over, lightly spray, and gradually and gently tease it until it gets really volumous. Then, just lean your head the opposite way and let it droop to the other side where you lightly spray it again on that side. All the while, sporadically use cold blasts of air while your head is leaning. This keeps the sides straight.
I had an 18" old-school Brit punk style hawk in high school, the real narrow kind. The only thing that ever worked for me was the white Elmer's glue.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #29
Wormboy

Kontan- What I do for my deathawk, I just tease the balls out of my hair, then spray both sides and slide my hands upward. This way, I can use even the weakest hairspray around and be fine. Also, if you're in a car, roll down the window and let it hit your hair. This makes deathawks look really cool I've noticed. How long is your hair? If it's longer than a foot this will take a LOT of teasing. If it's shorter, then a bunch of teasing will do you fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Korinna - If you want to get a deathawk that's traditional with (something like the top of your head entirely) then go ahead because it will work really well. You're in my boat, wide heads. If you want a more punk mohawk, get a wider one. maybe to the middle of your eyebrows on each end or a little narrower.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
PortraitofSanity - How hard was it to get the glue out of your hair, and what did you have to do to use it in terms of getting it up. (steps and such).

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #30
PortraitOfSanity

It pretty much washed out in the shower, it gets pretty nasty on hot days though. Basically what you do is go section by section adding glue and then holding it up with between palms while it dries.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #31
korinna5555

My hair is down to the point where my ass meets the back of my thighs. It's really long, thick, and blonde. I haven't cut it in over six years (although, a few years ago, I went in for a trim and the lady hacked off 7")

Kontan.. you've seen me in person. What do you think?
If I don't get a hawk, I still want to do SOMETHING with it. I just don't know what.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #32
KontanKarite

You could still do a hawk, Korinna. Bascially, the top part of the hawk, when down, will still look like your normal hair. But 3 foot long hair anyway? Wow, I don't even know how you'd get it to stand up.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #33
korinna5555

Well.. I'd have to cut a lot of it, silly
I might just cut off 20 inches (ish), so it's at my shoulderblades.. I could donate four ponytails to Locks of Love that way. I might do that, and dye it an auburn or dark purple. I don't know..... meh.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:25 PM   #34
PortraitOfSanity

I've donated to Locks of Love a lot, mine's down to the middle of my back at the moment. (I'm a guy by the way.)
Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #35
PortraitOfSanity

Go for 12" or less for a standard hawk. 18" was a lot of upkeep, plus it's hard to go through doors....
Old 09-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #36
sweetdreamr23

If you go to my profile and look under website there should be a link to my myspace. I have many pictures of the mohawlk I used to have. I had it for 3 years in various colors. I used hair glue and a blowdryer and flatbrush. Plus LOADS of hairspray. I miss my mohawk now that I think about it.
sweetdreamr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #37
Breathless Horror

Right now I've just got small 3" spikes, but I intend to grow it to about 10"-12".

How do you get that perfectly even, thin fan? I've tried before when I had longer hair, and it always broke up

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #38
Raptor

My hair is about that length, the hawk is quite thick though. I don't really try to make it look perfectly even, but only using a bit of hairspray at first, then correcting it with a comb after it's pretty much standing up works well. And more hairspray after so it stays there.

I'm still finding it difficult to do the back.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #39
Breathless Horror

Yeah, the back is the worst. Not only is gravity doubly against you, but you can't even see the bloody thing.

My hawk has this wierd thing where it's a LOT wider on top than in back. I just noticed that. Next time I shave a hawk, I'm going to be COMPLETELY sober XD

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #40
Raptor

Hehe, yeh probably for the best I don't think I would even try shaving my own hawk, especially at the back. I can only imagine how hard that must be...
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #41
Minyaliel

I´ve found, by using an additional medium sized mirror, I´m actually able to shave my hawk myself quite well. You just have to get used to the fact that everything that happens in the mirror is the exact opposite of what happens on your head, sort of. As you can see, my hawk´s doing well... although it does need to get shaved again.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7523/bilde25gc4.jpg
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/9904/bilde27fw3.jpg
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2342/bilde29zn6.jpg

(These were taken just now at my place, so you´ll just have to excuse the lack of style and makeup. *laughs*)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #42
Joker_in_the_Pack

God I miss my mohawk. Sadly, I see mohawks all the time now on people who listen to Green day and love capitalism and the establishment. I don't want to associate with these people. I'm growing out my hair and probably going to have it in liberty spikes for when I feel like dressing extra punky, I'll slick it back for work, when I feel like looking like a greaser, and tease it a little and gel it a little on "gothy" days.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #43
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Thanks, I was about to ask about this. My hair never comes out how I try to get it. The way I've been doing it stands up fine but it looks like... this. I was trying to make it more death hawkish.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #44
Minyaliel

If you want a death hawkish style, possibly the best way to do this is to use the techniques common for styling a death hawk? The way I do mine is first crimp all of my hair, hairspray, and start teasing/ back combing in three sections (left, middle, right) from the base of the neck and up. Then check with a second mirror (or a friendly onlooker) if you´ve missed any spots, and fix those. Then spray the base of the hawk thoroughly, only lightly misting the top or it will become floppy. It seems your hair is pretty long, so I think it should work out quite well.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 09-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #45
devenir abeille

Oh, my! Everyone looks so very lovely in the pictures posted :]

The Mohawk is, possibly, my favorite hairstyle of all. Unfortunately I don't pull it off quite so well, but I do have a picture somewhere on my computer...

I'm not sure how to post pictures, yet, though.. :3
devenir abeille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #46
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
If you want a death hawkish style, possibly the best way to do this is to use the techniques common for styling a death hawk? The way I do mine is first crimp all of my hair, hairspray, and start teasing/ back combing in three sections (left, middle, right) from the base of the neck and up. Then check with a second mirror (or a friendly onlooker) if you´ve missed any spots, and fix those. Then spray the base of the hawk thoroughly, only lightly misting the top or it will become floppy. It seems your hair is pretty long, so I think it should work out quite well.
Thanks

I've only read what's in this thread and had a short conversation about hawks before I tried mine, so I have no idea what the common styling techniques for a death hawk are.

Usually I tease it working outwards from the bit where the hair changes direction, otherwise doesn't the other hair get in the way when you go up the back of your head? I think I probably need to crimp it really, but I don't have any at the moment.

devenir abeille, you need a certain number of posts to be able to post links, I think it might be 30 (if not, it's probably 50).
Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #47
Minyaliel

Hehe, you need gorilla arms to make a good, sticks- in- place death hawk. But if you start the procedure at the base of the neck, and then take the section of the hair that´s the farthest away from the hand you´re using to crimp/ tease it (to me that would be the right section, because I´m left- handed), then continue with the middle and then the section closest to the hand you´re using, and then continue to do this when going upwards, you really shouldn´t have that much of a problem. Just make sure you get a steady foundation - this is the most important thing because else the hawk will dissolve - by teasing the lower part of the hair more heavily and going easier on the top. And crimping will help immensely; it gives more volume to the hair and makes it more, umm, fluffy. A crimping iron isn´t that expensive really, and will be worth the expense in the long run if you decide to stick with it.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 09-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #48
Raptor

Cheers
Old 09-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #49
Unimatrix 00

The mohawk is a thing of beauty but I would never pull it off. I want my bf to get one, but he doesnt want to chop off his long locks of hair!
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #50
bluey-green-vein

ive got kinda of a short version of johnny slut's death hawk
pictures soon
bluey-green-vein is offline   Reply With Quote