Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Opteron_Man

Job!

I want a job, need one badly. But this place is dried up.
I think I am fucked! I can't stand being jobless and useless!

What do I need to do!? Lie on my resume!? No way in hell am I going to do that.

I just want a job and earn my fucking bread and butter!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
the-nihilist

Well, you could try to start your own business (kiss any free time you had goodbye), keep looking for a job while advancing your skills in whatever career you're after, or you could result to selling drugs or committing petty theft, but if you get caught it could ruin any future chances of a legitimate career. It's all about risk vs reward really. You have to evaluate your skills and do some research on jobs that incorporate your choice of hobby and jobs that pay the most. I guess try to find a healthy medium between doing what you like and doing what pays, if you find yourself in that situation. Then again I've never claimed to have any credibility concerning this subject and I'm just making this up as I go along.
the-nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
honeythorn

I have no idea if you have job agencies there, or jobcentres or whatever the equivalent may be, but I suggest you make use of them. It's perfectly common to lie on a CV/Resume. Just don't lie about qualifications as they can check those. Just say the usual bollocks about being a team player and being motivated ect , YES EVEN IF THIS IS NOT TRUE. I've tried being 100% honest on my CV, it doesn't work.

And for god's sake don't put ANY of the various stories about your life or how dperessed/anorexic/odd you are ( as you do on here ) on any "About Me" sections on any forms or job applications. EVER.

Go on a typing course, or a computer course if any are free or low cost in your area. Even if you are good at both anyway, go on the courses , complete them and get a certificate to keep and show at any job interviews. They like to see certificates and proof you can do what you say you can in your Resume.

You may end up with a dull office job, but money is money and if you need it that badly then any job is better than none.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Saya

You're in Canada, right? http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro_eng.aspx is pretty awesome for job hunting, its government run so a lot of employers post on it. If that shows up nothing, you can always go to a local human resources office and they can help you find jobs that aren't posted online, help you with your resume and if its something you want to consider, help you get a small business up and running.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
And for god's sake don't put ANY of the various stories about your life or how dperessed/anorexic/odd you are ( as you do on here ) on any "About Me" sections on any forms or job applications. EVER.
I'm not gonna lie, that one had me laughing.

But above all, DO NOT GIVE UP. It took me over five painstaking months but I'm back in the saddle and I couldn't be happier to be doing something.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #6
Opteron_Man

Quote:
I have no idea if you have job agencies there, or jobcentres or whatever the equivalent may be, but I suggest you make use of them. It's perfectly common to lie on a CV/Resume. Just don't lie about qualifications as they can check those. Just say the usual bollocks about being a team player and being motivated ect , YES EVEN IF THIS IS NOT TRUE. I've tried being 100% honest on my CV, it doesn't work.

Go on a typing course, or a computer course if any are free or low cost in your area. Even if you are good at both anyway, go on the courses , complete them and get a certificate to keep and show at any job interviews. They like to see certificates and proof you can do what you say you can in your Resume.

You may end up with a dull office job, but money is money and if you need it that badly then any job is better than none.
Thanks, I will take a look. I will keep a lid on my depressed crap on my resume/coverletter.

I will lie a bit I guess on my resume. I know other people do, but I just want a job. If I can perform the task then who cares right?

Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
You're in Canada, right? http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro_eng.aspx is pretty awesome for job hunting, its government run so a lot of employers post on it. If that shows up nothing, you can always go to a local human resources office and they can help you find jobs that aren't posted online, help you with your resume and if its something you want to consider, help you get a small business up and running.
I'll check out that link. I allways thought of starting up my own buisness. But doesn't that taked wheelbarrels full of money in order to get moving?
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I found a whole list of jobs. Thanks allot Saya!

If I can do whatever particular task my boss tells me to do just as good as another co-worker who has more credentials, then why should it matter if I am not as “qualified” as the other guy?

Oh whatever, I’ll just try and see. Nice guys finish last and all that. I need a JOB!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #9
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man View Post

If I can do whatever particular task my boss tells me to do just as good as another co-worker who has more credentials, then why should it matter if I am not as “qualified” as the other guy?
Wether you like it or not it does matter to them.

Because the other guy has bits of paper saying he IS properly qualified . And they care about things like that.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Wether you like it or not it does matter to them.

Because the other guy has bits of paper saying he IS properly qualified . And they care about things like that.
Yes but what is the reason, I ask you?

Seems I need to have alot just to be accepted for "entry level" jobs.

It seems that if I DON'T "fluff up" my resume, I won't get a job.
I need a job, and I will do whatever is required to earn my bread and butter.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
honeythorn

If the other person has a legitimate certificate, they've done some sort of class or course to prove they have been trained. If the job requires a particular skill or qualification, and you do not have said qualification , you could get hurt or something could go wrong, the company may be liable because you should be qualified . It reflects badly on them if they did not hire someone who is trained to do that job.

Obviously this tends to apply a little more to physical jobs as you can really injure yourself or even die, so they have to be strict about who they hire, and health and safety and so on. But really it applies to all jobs .

DON'T put yourself down as having various qualifications or achievements if you do not. They can easily check records to see if this is true, or ask you to present something to prove it. If you do not have any certificates or other proof, then saying you forgot to bring them or some other excuse will not wash. You will either be proven to be lying or look innefficient, and you won't get the work.

I suggest you save some money and go on some courses if such things are required to do the jobs you're looking at. Typing and spreadsheet style courses for office jobs, a forklift course for factory work, Customer service training for working in a shop ect. Do some voulantary work in a thrift store/charity shop to show you have experience in dealing with the public.

Have you ever had any sort of job? Have you no experience of anything?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #12
Opteron_Man

Quote:
If the other person has a legitimate certificate, they've done some sort of class or course to prove they have been trained. If the job requires a particular skill or qualification, and you do not have said qualification , you could get hurt or something could go wrong, the company may be liable because you should be qualified . It reflects badly on them if they did not hire someone who is trained to do that job.

Obviously this tends to apply a little more to physical jobs as you can really injure yourself or even die, so they have to be strict about who they hire, and health and safety and so on. But really it applies to all jobs .

DON'T put yourself down as having various qualifications or achievements if you do not. They can easily check records to see if this is true, or ask you to present something to prove it. If you do not have any certificates or other proof, then saying you forgot to bring them or some other excuse will not wash. You will either be proven to be lying or look innefficient, and you won't get the work.

I suggest you save some money and go on some courses if such things are required to do the jobs you're looking at. Typing and spreadsheet style courses for office jobs, a forklift course for factory work, Customer service training for working in a shop ect. Do some voulantary work in a thrift store/charity shop to show you have experience in dealing with the public.

Have you ever had any sort of job? Have you no experience of anything?
Thanks, makes sense. I was meaning to find an entry job like in a foctory, or office. But I get the idea.

No I don't have much experiance worth speaking about. Just odd jobs along the way that really count for nothing.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
honeythorn

By odd jobs do you mean actual employment with a company or shop or something? Because those DO count. Get references ( only if you were not fired ) All job experience or work experience counts.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Tam Li Hua

Job hunting sucks, but you'll find something.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
Porcelain

I have the same fucking problem. I actually cried yesterday, because I'm so frustrated with job hunting....no-one wants to hire me. And centerlink aka centerfag won't give me money. I give up. I'm gonna be a trophy wife.

*sigh*
Porcelain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #16
the-nihilist

Make sure you smile alot. Here's some pointers:

http://basicinstructions.net/?p=359
the-nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
Make sure you smile alot. Here's some pointers:

http://basicinstructions.net/?p=359
That was funny, thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
Serren

I would suggest volunteering if you have the time, it will give you a reference and some skills. It looks better than a hole in your CV.

You could try looking for seasonal work at holiday (vacation) resorts, it tends to be long hours but it can be fun, you may have to wait a few months for those sorts of jobs to come up. I worked in France for several weeks cleaning caravans and tents (like trailers but in holiday parks).

With the economy being the way it is you may just have to preserve, and try for everything you see, no matter how crap it is.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Opteron_Man

What about application forms, I don't think I can just hand out resumes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #20
Pineapple_Juice

You have to walk in and ask for an application. A lot of places nowadays have applications online, but even so you should go in to see them anyway because they remember your face. Once you've filled out the application, go back to the place 3 days later and ask to speak to the manager. Say hi, tell him/her your name and say that you filled out an application 3 days ago and you were just checking back to see if he/she had a chance to review the application. Keep coming back every three days and say the same thing. They will choose the person who keeps coming back over a random application sitting in their box. Don't forget to thank them before you leave.

Even if they say they don't have any work at the moment, keep checking back because you never know if someone's going to be fired or what.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #21
Pineapple_Juice

Beggars can't be choosers. If you want a job, go door to door. Find a shopping center and go from building to building getting applications. Turn them in either on the spot or next day, TOPS.

Dress respectfully when you're going in to get the applications, as though you were going for an interview. It would be much easier for you to find a job if you take out your lip ring as well. Most establishments frown on that sort of stuff.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #22
Jaye Jang

Opteron Man, look for work in the medical field or a hospital. I have had to work so much I have not even been on G.net since, when? January. Waah. Missed you guys.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #23
ssteve

Lie, cheat, and steal. But don't get caught. And do it honestly, with your whole heart. Give yourself over to your new fake identity, and make it real.

Only then can you enter the maze, as one of the innumerable rats crawling over one another to earn money, or whatever. And remember, you have to do it all with a big smile!
ssteve is offline   Reply With Quote