Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Elysiume

"Age limit" for clothing?

Well, I was in my favourite store thinking about buying myself this lovely frock coat when this girl came in with her mum. She looked about 12 or 13 and was dressed kind of "baby bat"ish. She was looking at all the clothes and trying to find something which her mum would let her buy, but she kept saying "No, you're too young to wear things like that." She wasn't pointing out anything particularly revealing though. Anyway, it made me think, is there an "age limit" for dressing in a goth way? Obviously, little girls wearing corsets and suchlike is a little...wrong. Anyhows, thoughts on this?

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
dead_dreams

I don't think there should be an "age limit" on clothing. I feel that little girl should be able to express herself in any manner as long as no one is harmed in the process.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
RavenHallows.

I don't really think there should be an 'age limit', however, there saddly is. Set by our morals and taught ethics. Saddly parents also have way too much power over their children, a la 'If you dye your hair green you'll get grounded and no allowance for three weeks' So some of us rebel. Some don't, in order to keep peace.
Yet I can't help but to think, if a 12-year-old feels she just MUST have a latex mini to feel good about herself.. I mean, even if it looks horrible in everyone else's opinion, I believe that our choises and mistakes, too, are ours to make and without making them we would never learn. So let her have the damn mini!
RavenHallows. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
My grandson is 18 and half months and I buy him skull t-shirts, skull creepers, Led Zeppelin band shirts etc. I even bought him an Israeli child's gas mask. What's the big deal? (Smirk. Boys have it easier than girls.)

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Jhesy

I feel like there should be an age limit for certain types of clothing (corsets, lingerie, fetish stuff...) but I see no problem with a middle-schooler wanting to dress with a darker inclination. I think some parents get their knickers in a twist because they don't want other people to see their kids and think "Wow, that kid is running rampant, the parents must not have ANY control!" and then they overcompensate.
Jhesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHallows.
I don't really think there should be an 'age limit', however, there saddly is. Set by our morals and taught ethics. Saddly parents also have way too much power over their children, a la 'If you dye your hair green you'll get grounded and no allowance for three weeks' So some of us rebel. Some don't, in order to keep peace.
Yet I can't help but to think, if a 12-year-old feels she just MUST have a latex mini to feel good about herself.. I mean, even if it looks horrible in everyone else's opinion, I believe that our choises and mistakes, too, are ours to make and without making them we would never learn. So let her have the damn mini!
I think the thing is, that it's sexualising children when they're 12. It could invite paedophiles. I mean, do you think we should see toddlers wearing gimp suits? Note, I'm not applying this to 'rebellious' clothing in general - just clothing of the see-through PVC corset type. Rebellious clothing is fine by me.

Not to mention, clothes like corsets can cause health problems, especially in children; as high heels can also cause back, and ankle problems.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
gothicusmaximus

I know exactly where this thread is going.
A few posts on the actual topic. ---> Fight about whether gothic lol1ta is sexual. ----> Fight about whether pedoph1les are inherently bad people.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
A few posts on the actual topic. ---> Fight about whether gothic lol1ta is sexual. ----> Fight about whether pedoph1les are inherently bad people.
My exact thoughts.
lucylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Necrophagist

Human Pain - You're the best grandad a kid could have.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Seconded...

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Thirded! I would've loved it if my poppy bought me a Led Zepplin shirt when I was little. Think of all the cute baby pictures!
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
It's probably getting there faster now that you mentioned it.
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
$haDe

Quote:

Fourthed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
It's probably getting there faster now that you mentioned it.
Seconded this.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
Jonathan

I don't think it is out of line for a parent to have a say in what they are buying for the kid, even to the point of having veto power.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd see a moral failing in a parent going the other way and letting their kid buy corsets or whatever. I don't particularly see it as being sexually charged.

If the kid likes it and the parent doesn't have a problem, then go for it.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Catch

I think their should be age limits going both ways. Young girls should stick with the turtle necks, button up shirts with see through sleeves and anime.

There is a small margin between 18 to 35 that is a free zone. However, stop wearing My Little Kitty and other associated items before 25. Some stuff out there is disturbing.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Ideally, there shouldn't be any limitations or norms or expectations on how we should dress.
But when we go around buying an identity expression like empty fucks, ideal worlds don't mean anything.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
Necrophagist

We should all be communists!
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #18
Catch

Really teenagers and middle aged people should dress more classy and cover up their skin. (Though it is for different reasons.)
Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #19
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Really teenagers and middle aged people should dress more classy and cover up their skin. (Though it is for different reasons.)
If I use that perspective, I'll say partial nudity should be illegal no matter how old she is.

I just don't use it.

-_-, For different reasons,too lol
Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 AM   #20
jack_the_knife

I don't think there should be an age limit on clothing, but I think the kid should be able to figure out for its self what it wants to wear. I mean there are pre-schoolers that dress in the same way as rappers, yet that isn't frowned upon. Granted, there should be some limits, for example lingerie, corsets or high thigh fishnets, but there's no need to rip the kids head off for dressing the way it wants.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #21
MollyMac

So, young adults are the only ones who can dress more revealing? I'd rather see fat people covered up and let the healthy ones shine.

And I don't see what is so cool about dressing up an infant to suit your tastes and hobbies. A child is not an accessory.

And an Israeli child's gas mask? Quaint. Think about the time behind it and the fear of the young face it was designed for before you Bedazzle it with something Gawthier.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #22
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
So, young adults are the only ones who can dress more revealing? I'd rather see fat people covered up and let the healthy ones shine.
Yeah, there are some 50 year old women who steam up my glasses!

Quote:
And I don't see what is so cool about dressing up an infant to suit your tastes and hobbies. A child is not an accessory.
Correct, they are not. But if we dress them up, someone has to make a choice on what to buy. And beyond that, it helps to assimilate the child into the family, it gives his developing self esteem a sense of belonging. His mother, father and grandfather wear skull shirts, why not him, and then when he becomes a teenager he can rebel and dress like you.

Quote:
And an Israeli child's gas mask? Quaint. Think about the time behind it and the fear of the young face it was designed for before you Bedazzle it with something Gawthier.
I have thought about it, it is bringing that fear to the forefront (although he is not old enough himself yet to understand, others will), the desire to not bury and forget such facts, such history, but an effort to remember it, to remind society that "hey! Society is so fucked up, we have to design gas masks for children!"

Life isn't all fun and games and accessories, sometimes it is as serious as you.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
What are they?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
What are they?
Children are often seen as needing to be protected from sex. People don't want them having children of their own and they can be more popular because they are androgynous. Boys look like girls and girls look like boys until reaching a mature age. However, they still hot each other.

Older people, over the age of 35, are starting to sag and get wrinkly. It is also more difficult to maintain a reasonable weight, so people would prefer they wear "dignified" clothing. Old people are also not supposed to be sexual.

However, on the point of being fat, I have found that doesn't matter. People who love chubby people always want that more than anything else. I have known people who talk about how attractive and slutty the chubby one is though everyone in the group is trampy.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
I think the thing is, that it's sexualising children when they're 12. It could invite paedophiles. I mean, do you think we should see toddlers wearing gimp suits? Note, I'm not applying this to 'rebellious' clothing in general - just clothing of the see-through PVC corset type. Rebellious clothing is fine by me.

Not to mention, clothes like corsets can cause health problems, especially in children; as high heels can also cause back, and ankle problems.
Clothing will not invite paedophiles, if a potential child molester wants to get him or herself revved up over a child then it won't matter what they wear. Human are sexual beings, it is in our nature to be sexual and when viewing anyone, child, teen, or adult, in corsets or in a school uniform or in casual gear it is up to the viewer how sexual that becomes.

There is a website ( I do not know the specific location) but it sends paedophiles who have a foot fetish to sites where they can watch 'The Sound of Music' because the Trap (sp?) family gets around in sandals.

It's both funny and scary because voyeurism will always have unlimited potential and attempting to change things such as clothing that will in no way dissuade the voyeur or paedophile or child molester is just pointless.