Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
bleedblackroses92

A question for you...

I have a question. And I do not know if this is the place to ask. But seeing as it has to do with 'Fashion', I thought I'd ask...

What is it, do you think, that makes a person 'Gothic'? I have heard many different answers, and I'm curious to know what you think...
bleedblackroses92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
honeythorn

It has very little to do with clothing.

Though many choose to wear "goth" or Deathrock style clothing because they simply like it ( I like it so I do ). It's not required. If you don't like the clothing then don't wear it. It won't make you any less "goth" regardless of whoever tells you that you must have so and so boots/shirt/dress to be considered a goth . If you do like it, please try to do it in a way that suits your shape/build and try to avoid dressing head to foot in cheap generic stuff if you can.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
jobasha3000

The answer for this one, that seems to be unanimous throughout all the threads on this board that are the same fucking one as this, is that it's all in your head. To rephrase, if you think you're goth, you're goth. Thats one school ov thought, which has sometimes been referred to by members ov this board as "bullshit" or conversely, "true."

Another, cited by other members ov the board, is that a genuine interest in gothic/batcave era/deathrock music makes one a goth. A genuine interest in gothic fashion seems to also get cited as a reason one is goth.

The site, gothic-charm-school.com made a video about it, which can be seen here http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=238

If we want to follow it back farther, being a macabre punk was goth, before that, someone who liked eerie novellas, before that, someone who was interested in gothic churches.

Prior to that, in order to be gothic you had to have flying buttresses, something today's goth lacks because they're not fucking churches. Finally, before that, we have the Gothic tribes which existed prior to and up until the Hunnic invasion of Rome. They were pretty chill guys, all roving and nomadic, and pioneers of the gothic DIY movement, until those dicks the huns came down from the Eurasian steppes and split them into the Ostrogoths and the Visigoths. And we all know how that ended.

My personal opinion is if you have eccentric tastes leaning towards the macabre, then that makes a person gothic, but to sum up my post, its different reasons for different people, and you're never gonna get a straight answer, so find the definition within yourself.
jobasha3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Malice In Wonderland

Above person is spouting bullshit.
If you listen to goth music you can be considered a goth.
Now GTFO.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
jobasha3000

Hey, what do you know, I am spouting bullshit.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
jobasha3000

I'm glad that its just listening to music! I'll let my friend who listens to joy division, and other less relevant bands, that hey, they're goth much to their suprise.

I think I'll go listen to Dead Kennedys and be considered a punk, or perhaps listen to some Madness and be considered a skinhead.

If I've read anything on this board correctly in my years lurking it, its that goths tend to listen to nongoth bands, so whatever.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Above person is spouting bullshit.
If you listen to goth music you can be considered a goth.
Now GTFO.
I wholeheartedly agree.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobasha3000 View Post
If I've read anything on this board correctly in my years lurking it, its that goths tend to listen to nongoth bands, so whatever.
Yes we do, but we all also do listen to some goth music, it is a subculture that started in music and while everything else about the subculture may have changed since then the music is still the defining characteristic of our subculture.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
Still Jack

Done, re-done and overdone. I don't know why people still give a fuck about the definition... NEXT.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
jobasha3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Yes we do, but we all also do listen to some goth music, it is a subculture that started in music and while everything else about the subculture may have changed since then the music is still the defining characteristic of our subculture.

Yep, I was wrong. Someone already pointed it out. Srry.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Solumina

I appreciate the fact that you are admitting to being wrong but why give an answer if you don't know what you're talking about?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
jobasha3000

Because I thought I was right. Now I know better. Since I'm still new here I'll stay out of answering questions and leave it to senior members like yourself, and that way nobody will have anything to get angry about, sound good?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
epitomeofsleep

Senior members..new members..it's all the damn same. As long as you have the knowledge of a certain topic, you're right to your own opinion. Now whether or not it is right or wrong..that's an entirely different aspect.
epitomeofsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
jobasha3000

If its an opinion it can't be right or wrong. Fact can. And senior members matter more in a place where everyone with posts in the 4 digits is the site's "good ol boys" who rag on anyone who hasn't been on their site in the last year like they've never been on a forum before. Read any of the intro pages or the "for the newbs" threads and tell me I'm wrong. The fact that I cited a damn video made for the express purpose of answering the question the thread asked, then told my brief view of the history of the word, and was then told I'm "spouting bullshit" by someone who gave an entirely more vague answer should tell you something about this site's fucking priorities.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
Malice In Wonderland

Above person is still spouting bullshit.
I fear that they will not stop.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
jobasha3000

Nothing to fear Malice (I actually used to like reading your comments on threads). I'll ditch this account and go back to lurking. It's been a nice week here.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #17
Cicero

Quote:
If its an opinion it can't be right or wrong. Fact can. And senior members matter more in a place where everyone with posts in the 4 digits is the site's "good ol boys" who rag on anyone who hasn't been on their site in the last year like they've never been on a forum before. Read any of the intro pages or the "for the newbs" threads and tell me I'm wrong. The fact that I cited a damn video made for the express purpose of answering the question the thread asked, then told my brief view of the history of the word, and was then told I'm "spouting bullshit" by someone who gave an entirely more vague answer should tell you something about this site's fucking priorities.
How is listening to the music 'entirely more vague' than "It's in your mind, you're goth if you want to be, blah blah blah"?

The fact that goth is about the music just goes to show that it's actually something a lot simpler and easily defined than most people try to make it. It's nothing any deeper or fancier than a music scene.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #18
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblackroses92 View Post
I have a question. And I do not know if this is the place to ask. But seeing as it has to do with 'Fashion', I thought I'd ask...

What is it, do you think, that makes a person 'Gothic'? I have heard many different answers, and I'm curious to know what you think...
Well now. Considering your name, question, and font-type it can take any dumbass to figure why you've asked this.

Try looking around the website instead of creating this deformed child of a thread. Its really sad that people still even bother to make these at this point in the game.

Thank you.

Quote:
Nothing to fear Malice (I actually used to like reading your comments on threads). I'll ditch this account and go back to lurking. It's been a nice week here.
Oh boo hoo! I'm sorry we are all such shallow assholes who define our subculture from what it originally was and not the bastardized, pretentious re-definition!

Wipe those tears and come back when your balls have dropped.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #19
jobasha3000

All I did was post an opinion and try to defend it. Why is everyone giving me shit, even when I back down and apologize for giving the "wrong" definition of something? Like honestly, no matter what I say, I'm going to get shit for it. And then I'll be made out to be the next Unimatrix of this board.

Hell, Rimjob above me here isnt even responding constructively to this at all, even when the OP apologized in the first post for putting it in the wrong section, but I know for a fucking fact he/she isn't going to catch half as much flak as I have.

If I stick around I'm gonna get shit on, if I leave, as I tried to, I get shit on. This is a fucking damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

And Malice in Wonderland is gonna come back in here and post that I'm still spouting shit, and everyone will have a good laugh.

Whatever ...
Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
Sinjob

Quote:
All I did was post an opinion and try to defend it. Why is everyone giving me shit, even when I back down and apologize for giving the "wrong" definition of something? Like honestly, no matter what I say, I'm going to get shit for it. And then I'll be made out to be the next Unimatrix of this board.
*Thwack*
You're victimizing again, dude. Nobody's telling you that the right or wrong opinion of anything; we're just responding to what you posted. And yeah, it's gonna be harsh from a good amount of people because we get tired of explaining the same goddamn thing over and over.

Quote:
Hell, Rimjob above me here isnt even responding constructively to this at all, even when the OP apologized in the first post for putting it in the wrong section, but I know for a fucking fact he isn't going to catch half as much flak as I have.
Well I can't give you sass for getting the joke now, can I? And even if someone is going to piss on my response so be it. I can tell you I'll take like a man and not puss off and threaten to leave. You on the other hand, hold no responsibility for your own words. Your just whining about it like you have previously.

Nobody on the INTERNET is harassing you. You are just taking all the negatives out of this and running wild.

Quote:
If I stick around I'm gonna get shit on, if I leave, as I tried to, I get shit on. This is a fucking damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.
..Seeking way too much attention. And you're getting it.

Quote:
And Malice in Wonderland is gonna come back in here and post that I'm still spouting shit, and everyone will have a good laugh.

Whatever ...
Aside from this spouted array of bullshitt-ity, you're also trying to say "I don't wanna be the next Uni" when everything else that your posting automatically puts you in that place. You're the one doing this to yourself, bud.

Maybe you guys work for each other.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #21
jobasha3000

I'm fucking whining because people like you are dicking around with me for no reason at all asscunt.

Realizing that I'm obviously not wanted and simply saying (not threatening) to leave is taking it like a man. Not taking it like a man is showing up to the middle of a conversation and telling me to come back when my balls dropped. Its fucking uninitiated dickery and you know it. To use your words, I did "hold responsibility for" my post, as you can see I explained it, and then apologized when my answer was shown to be not helpful. If thats not being responsible then fuck me!

By post number 12 everything was fine, and then malice came back in and pissed me off, and instead of reacting and arguing, I backed down. Then you come in a day late to the party and start pointing and calling names!

I'm sure if I had come and shat in your thread or on your post, you could feel free to say what you want, but I didn't! I fucking answered someone's question you cockmonger! Seriously, I have no problem with you at all. But the level of ass kissing you seem to have to this forum, acting like you fucking know everything about it when you joined 2 months before I did, honestly. I mean, you seem to know what it takes to not get pissed on here, why don't you tell me, you seem to have an answer for everything.

And no, Uni is a cock who comes in and actively bashes people and makes names of people she hates. Thats just retarded. If you notice, I was not acting offensively to anyone on this thread up to your post. Really. I'm not coming in here and making lists, I'm just trying to enjoy myself.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #22
Still Jack

That post just morphed into: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! "
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #23
epitomeofsleep

Here's basic answers to learning how not to care about anything on the internet:
1. It's the internet.
2. It's the internet.
3. Get friends IRL.
4. It's the internet.

Seriously, chill. If someone says something about a post of yours and bashes it, you know what you say? "Oh yeah, whatever. Fuck you dude", but if you like arguing on the internet (Which is becoming an increasing and pathetic hobby online nowadays) you can continue to act like you are and start making arguments for the sake of arguing.

Just give it a rest.
epitomeofsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #24
jobasha3000

yep, you're right. Sorry to all those offended.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #25
Sinjob

...You obviously still didn't listen, you're just trying to defend. It'd be better following the first plan of "leaving and going back to lurking".

One thing good about the internet, anyone can join no matter how passive aggressive they are.