Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #76
††BlackRose††

The only makeup I wear is eyeliner. Sometimes I go without that too when I can't be fucked. :P
I don't think it makes much of a difference. Oh well. I want to experiment around with it a little more.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM   #77
ForgetThisLostLenore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKorns
I REALLY don't see that as a bad thing! Looking that young when your not, is a privilege!
I really don't understand why that is an advantage. When I go out in my black eyeliner, people don't look at my boyfriend like he's a child molester. I don't get kicked out of certain stores in the mall for being too young, such as the halloween store. It's a special feeling when you're in that store at fifteen and the guy who tries to walk in at sixteen is kicked out.

I find it a great advantage to look slightly older than one actually is. Without makeup, and since I like to wear my hair in little ponytails, I look thirteen at most. Thirteen dressing up in mommy's clothes. In makeup, I apparently look at least seventeen.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #78
killer_asian_Dax

I only wear makeup sometimes. I'm just too lazy to put it on most times. And when I do put it on, depending on what I put on, I feel like a tart, even though it's not nearly as bad as I'm sure it could be.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #79
BLEED REBELION!!!

I put on makeup If a have a few minutes of time to myself in the morning. Or if I really just feell like it... Sometimes I wear tons of make up for a week and then I go a month with out it.
I feel good about my apearance either way, but sometimes I just want to look different. I put on make up when I feel ugly, when I feel pretty, when im bored. If I've had a calm morning I will usually do my makeup. I think wearing crazy makeup has helped me to build up my confidence. When I first started wearing it I would be really worried about what other people think. After A while I realized it didnt matter. Now I feel confident no matter what I'm wearing.

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #80
ForgetThisLostLenore

I'm ok without my typical black eyeliner, it's just that I look so young without it. And I hate being mistaken for being around my brother's age. I'm afraid someone will mistake us for twins if I don't have some eyeliner on.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #81
honeythorn

I am currently wearing an absolute shitload of eyemakeup, but I am going out for New years eve so that's my excuse.

I do wear a lot less for work though. Just a thin line of eyeliner and foundation+Concealer+powder. I work in a factory so it isn't worth getting dolled up.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #82
Underwater Ophelia

I don't understand you guys "needing" makeup. I'm sure you're all decent looking without it.

Granted, I paint my eyebrows on, but even without them, I look odd, but still recognizable, and can even still look very pretty, I think.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #83
korinna5555

I know I don't NEED makeup, and I will go without it sometimes, but I prefer the way I look with some powder and eyeshadow/eyeliner.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #84
ForgetThisLostLenore

I agree.

I know I don't need it... I just much prefer the way I look with it on. Most days when I'm just sitting around the house, I don't put anything on. Any makeup, that is.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 PM   #85
Apathy's_Child

Guys are always telling girls they prefer them without makeup. Not true IMO - they just don't realise girls are often wearing it even when they look all natural. In all honesty I think 99% of women look better with, but only because it's how I'm used to seeing them. I guess in 20 years time all the guys will think girls look better with surgery, because that'll be how they're used to seeing them.

Can I ask you gals a question? How come you don't just all stop wearing it unless it's a hugely special occasion? That way men can readjust to what you really look like, and the standard by which beauty is judged will reset itself. And you won't have to spend billions of dollars and hours a year just trying to keep up with the other women.

Still I guess the flaw is that everyone would have to do it for that to happen, and plenty would refuse.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #86
lostintranslation

For me, wearing make up isn't something I do to attract men, or compete with other women. I do it for me. I feel better about myself when hidden behind a thick layer of make up. I like being able to change my appearance to something unnatural or something completely different from what I look like. I enjoy putting on make up just as much as I enjoy wearing it. It's not like I'm preaning so I can prance around like a peacock, I enjoy looking good, and I feel I look better with make up. I realize that men think women look better with make up. I know men who say otherwise, but it's not true most of the time. There are women who are naturally gorgeous, but the average women is just that, average. People like to look good, it's just how we are as a race.
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #87
Darklight689

I dont normally wear make up mostly because i have NO idea how to put it on. not alot of goths near me and all my female friends kinda shun make up, yes imma guy . i can probably figure alot of it out myself it isnt rocket science but i make a mess with eye liner if anyone wants to teach me how to put make up on just message me or something.
Darklight689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #88
Minyaliel

I've found that wearin make-up and creating looks with make- up is a hugely entertaining pastime occupation. I really consider good make-up an art form. Most people have no idea how to wear or apply make- up (no offense meant to anyone - I have no high opinions about my own make- up skills, it is just an observation). I find it totally amazing what can be done with paint and a few brushes. For instance, I did the make- up for a musical theatre show we had at school recently, and we transformed a really pretty girl with _the_ cutest babyface into a sleazy, haggard old man. It looked 100% real; the transformation was just too spooky. Anyway, I have this love for extraordinary makeup, and really like spending time mixing colours and putting makeup things all in the wrong place (I've bought several lipsticks only because I wanted to use them on my eyes. Never believe the label, ever.). I'm a huge fan of the lime crime site, if anyone knows that one. Amazingly pretty.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #89
Solumina

make-up is fun and yeah there are times when I have worn it to get more attention but most if the time I wear it as either an accessory to my over all look or simply because I have time and it is fun.

As for the guys likeing girls better when they are natural: I know my boyfriend likes me best when I have at most my eyes done and he dislikes foundation/powder/lipstick so most days I use lip gloss and that is it but I still go all out if there is a party or we are going out for the night
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #90
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight689
i make a mess with eye liner if anyone wants to teach me how to put make up on just message me or something.
Eyeliner just takes practice. I will assume for now that you use pencil liner? Most men I have seen use that.

For the upper lashes/lid:

. Make sure you sharpen your liner, and then rest your elbow on the table/whatever the mirror is standing on. I used to lean on the radiator, as my mirror is on the windowsill.

. Pull the outer corner of your eye ( gently ) ever so slightly out and upwards towards your temple. Just enough to pull the lid a bit taut.

. Close your eye , raise your eyebrows, and then lightly draw the line in short thin strokes as close to the lashline as you can.

. Go over the short strokes with one single continuous line. Press a little heavier this time so it really shows.

For the lower lashes/lid:

. Again, make sure you have sharpened the liner pencil, and rest your elbow on something.

. Gently pull the skin under your lower lid down a little with two fingers , and then working from the inner corner outwards, draw your line in short thin strokes right under the lashes. As close as you can get. Then when the line looks as you want it, go over it in one long stroke , pressing a bit heavier the same as before.

Make sure to follow the natural curve of your lashline, and keep some makeup remover wipes /remover lotion + Qtips handy to correct any mistakes.

Then you shoud be ready to apply eyeshadow if you use it.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #91
Darklight689

lol thanks ill probably give it a try when i get back from work, really sucks working but i cant wear anything crazy to work soooo yeah. just idk this is basic so ill give it a try was hoping for something a bit more elaborate though its hard to explain but guess only way i can get that is if i mess with it just didnt want to waste my liquid one.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #92
honeythorn

Elaborate? well you should have said!

Just draw your design lightly in pencil until you have it how you want it, and then go over the design carefully in the liquid. Much like tracing a drawing. When you become good at that, skip the pencil liner and just do the design with the liquid.

If it's designs you are stuck with, you could try scanning and printing out copies of a photo of your eye area, and then drawing designs on those until you have some that you like. Then practice them on your face .

What sort of elaborate were you thinking of? Swirls? Spider webs? Those are very cliche and much used examples, but you get what I mean .
Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #93
lady_corbin

I have rosacea, so I don't wear makeup that needs to be there for more than a couple of hours. It quite literally slides off my face. I've got the reddish skin to go with it, and people always ask me if I've been out in the sun (not on your life; you may have noticed that I garden in the dark), or running (get real), or some other silly thing to account for my skin tone - which is obviously not like anyone else's.

That's not to say that I wouldn't like to wear makeup. I did when I was younger. I'm out of practice though, and the rosacea presents new challenges. Oily and flaky all at once, and my chest is reddish, too. So if I do make-up, the base has to have the proper green tone to compensate, and I have to get it all the way to the cleavage. Hell on black clothing. And I think eye makeup and lipstick look funky without proper base. So it's an all or nothing thing for me.

It's not the end of the world. My face is my face. I expect that people will either deal with it or they won't. Not my problem, is it?
lady_corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #94
Darklight689

yeah i get what you mean lol im not gonna do anything cliche imma try to think of something a bit more abstract. before designs imma get around the eyes down last time i tried it smeared and looked like i had a black eye, that was a mess to clean up. but biggest thing is to prepare eyes to do that so the designs dont look like they are just dangling there but i dont want to see my eyelid if that makes any sense. i know people mix eye shadow and stuff with it but that is a bit beyond ill look for some pics as examples.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #95
Gothic.Jade...

I Only started wearing make up when i started high school, So i've been wearing it for about 2 years now, But im kinda used to wearing it now. So a day without make up, I look terrible, My little sister even asked me what happend to my face when i just came out of the shower! With no make up on at all. So a day without make up for me is terrible to me! But i dont really need to worry about that cause i DONT wash it off i leave it on, i go to bed with it on i just cant be arsed to take it off, After putting all that effort into doing it for no reason =]
Gothic.Jade... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #96
Arashi

Without makeup, I feel bare, naked and look literally 10 years old... So outside of my house, I'm never caught without it.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #97
weepingblood

I will not leave the house without makeup, I always wear lots of black eyeliner and although my eyebrows are dark I use pencil to make them a little thicker, I already have big eyes so it looks more dramatic. I prefer to wear lipstick but at the very least I would need eyeliner before I leave the house.
weepingblood is offline   Reply With Quote