Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Nicola

Leave Me Alone!!!!!!!

I write.I write a LOT. I require certain things to ensure that me and my muse Alfie can talk,flesh out characters,and write their stories. I must have my writing soundtrack,my door closed,and by all that is holy,I must be left alone! I cannot abide interruptions because I lose my focus and the words get away from me. Since I get violent with those who do this,I have warned folks. If it is not life threatening or has something to do with my family,then frell off. However,there are folks who refuse to listen to what I have told them is The Holy Law:

THOU SHALT NOT DISTURB NICOLA!

My friend knows my writing time is precious to me and I squeeze it in whenever I can. But she calls me with gossip,her boyfriend issues,and other things.I don't mind listening and helping if I can but I MUST be left alone to write. I have told her this repeatedly. Well,the inevitable happened.She broke The Holy Law for the last time and an argument ensued. She told me I was assuming airs and what I was writing wasn't serious writing because I deal with horror,sci-fi,and fantasy. According to her literary writing is REAL writing. My stinger took aim and let me say that I took the dubious art of profanity to new levels! Or is it depths?

Why don't people understand that some writers require solitude to work? I'm sure there are writers who can handle any interruption and keep writing.I cannot,never have been able to do that.
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola
and what I was writing wasn't serious writing because I deal with horror,sci-fi,and fantasy.
That's the best genres! Why should that not be serious? I understand fully what you mean with writing; I feel the same whenever I write music/lyrics.

Will I see any of your works in the literature section any time soon?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Delicate_Torture

Just unplug the phone while you are writing so that you don't get disturbed.

As for horror and sci-fi not being real writing, a lot of people don't think that it is because it doesn't deal with real issues. These are also the people who read Frankenstein's Monster and think that it is a story about a scientist who made a monster and some people getting killed and then the monster getting killed... when it is actually about Man's responsibility to the situations that he creates, it is about the fear of what isn't understood and about what happens when stupid people are allowed to walk around with pitchforks.

They don't understand that there is symbolism in everything and any story that is written is really just a dingus.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Well said D_T. Some of the best genres for dealing with real world ideas and concepts is sci fi/horror/fantasy, in my opinion. There is more possibility for using outlandish imagery to convey basic real world ideas in a new light.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate_Torture
Just unplug the phone while you are writing so that you don't get disturbed.

As for horror and sci-fi not being real writing, a lot of people don't think that it is because it doesn't deal with real issues. These are also the people who read Frankenstein's Monster and think that it is a story about a scientist who made a monster and some people getting killed and then the monster getting killed... when it is actually about Man's responsibility to the situations that he creates, it is about the fear of what isn't understood and about what happens when stupid people are allowed to walk around with pitchforks.

They don't understand that there is symbolism in everything and any story that is written is really just a dingus.
Very well put.

I know what you mean about being disturbed while writing, Nicola. When I used to RP, I hated being interrupted or called around by my brother or parent. The computer, unfortunately, is located in the living room, so I never had the protection of utter solitude. I suppose you just need to put your foot down and stop answering the phone. You aren't required to engage in those conversations.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Ictum

I know exactly what it feels like.
Ictum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I don't know about writing, cuz I'm shit with words and stories, but when I'm trying to do art, it's nice to have people not disturb me. I can tolerate it, but I might just partially ignore them. I find that I can have difficulty talking when I'm trying to draw/paint, so I end up pausing a good while before I say something and being really terse and brief. If I try to say something longer than two words, I end up making tons of pauses.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Heehee when you reach my age, you can filter out just about anything.
I have written stories (which are posted on the Literature board) whilst toddlers are running around my feet, I am nodding my head to blathering in-laws, and the damn television is blaring loudly. But is is better if all is quiet but for my music and I am alone.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I can filter out a lot of things, especially since studio class consists of about 20 people... but things like clocks piss me off. Once I was in the studio late at night and there wasn't any babling to cover the clock, and I had to take the battery out of the clock cuz I kept thinking someone was walking toward the room, but they never got there. It made me feel like something was fighting to get out of me, right through the middle of my rib cage.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote