Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
KontanKarite

Holy Fuck. It Finally Happened.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/j...omic-con-2010/

Two fighting video game legends go to war. Street Fighter vs. Tekken and Tekken vs. Street Fighter.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Nice. It's is the first I've heard of this one. Honestly, in spite of my fondness for the Soul Calibur series, I'm quite unfamiliar with Namco's games including Tekken. This is a good idea though, and Capcom usually does a solid job on its fighters. I missed Street Fighter IV (I'm pathetic; I know), but the video in the link indicated gameplay which looked similar to Street Fighter III's (fine with me!). Though this looks considerably faster.

I'll be curious to see the character roster. On Capcom's side, will they do a more "conventional" Street Fighter II-based cast or a less conventional SFAlpha/SFIII cast? Anyway, the Tekken characters will undoubtedly add an interesting, new element to the gameplay. If Capcom can maintain gameplay ballance, this could be a really good game.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Versus

What's cool is that they are making one with Tekken's mechanics, and one with Street Fighter's. In regards to the latter, I'm really not too concerned. Street Fighter, in my opinion, is the only in the genre that has consistently maintained solid mechanics with still keeping each release fresh.

And I swear, if Cammy isn't in the roster, I will skull-fuck Capcom with a 40mm grenade.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I agree with you about the consistency of the Street Fighter series. However, "Capcom Fighting Jam" was a heinous catastrophe on Capcom's slate. It's a travesty that Capcom's last 2D fighter had to be so utterly bad.

As for Cammy, she's always a stylish and powerful character (though I prefer SFA3's Juni because of her versatility). Cammy also claims the most idiotic-sounding special attack that I can think of in all fighting games: the "Hooligan Combination". She tends to be in the games which centre around Bison's storyline, and I doubt that the absurd Shadowloo scenario will make it into a Tekken crossover. We'll see. My favourite Street Fighter is SF3's "Hugo", but I'll be astounded if he makes it onto this game's roster.

By the way, Versus, what's your favourite of the Street Fighter series?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Versus

Hrm, I've never played it. Thank you for the warning, because I'm sure if I saw it without that knowledge I wouldn't think twice about buying it. What was bad about it?

Hooligan combination slays all challengers! It's ex version in SSF4 is especially effective when someone thinks they can pressure you with a fire ball from outside of cannon drill's range. But I totally agree about Juni. SFA3 was a horrible incarnation of Cammy, mechanically. Aesthetically, that was my favorite way she looked.

As far as my favorite, I want to either say 4 or A3. I love 3's mechanics, but I can't stand the roster. I grew up on SF2, so it was very difficult for me to accept. As far as 4, I love mostly everything about it. They did a really good job with maintaining the 2D feel while making the move to 3D. Hit boxes feel unchanged, speed feels as it should be. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the characters even made the transition to 3D quite well. Bison, Vega, Cammy, Blanka, Guile, Sagat, Honda, Dhalsim, Zangief, and Akuma are all prime examples. Some characters, though, did not make it so well. I feel Sakura, Rose, Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li all look horrible from their 3D transitions.

Quote:
and I doubt that the absurd Shadowloo scenario will make it into a Tekken crossover.
Have you SEEN Tekken's storyline? Hahaha.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
TheFeatheredÆtheling

"Capcom Fighting Jam" incorporated four characters from SF2, SFA, SF3, "Darkstalkers", and "Red Earth" (an obscure Japan-only fighter similar to Darkstalkers), and at least one new character. This crossover was a good idea, but there were some major issues.

First of all, the four characters from each game were chosen poorly. For instance, they used an extremely water-down Yun from SF3 who completely lacked any of the combo abilities that made him interesting in the first place, Sakura AND Karen from SFA (why both of them?), and Anakaris from Darkstalkers (AGAIN? Dammit! Include John Talbain or Rikuo or someone new for once, Capcom!). Anyway, the roster could have been so much more interesting.

Secondly, the music sucked. I don't know about Capcom's newest fighters, but many of their fighting games post-SF2 have had shitty music (Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Capcom VS. SNK2, etc).

Finally and most importantly, the gameplay was the most unballanced of any of Capcom's 2D titles. In Capcom Fighting Jam, you are unable to change your character's fighting system unlike other crossover games which have a flexible "groove/style" system. For instance, SFA characters have air blocking, Alpha counters, custom combo's, a level 3 super arts gage, etc; SF3 characters have parrying, mini-jumping (what the hell?! Why not universal overheads like in the actual games?), dashing, etc; SF2 characters have one level three super gage... and that's about it; etc. In order to compensate for the laughable technical unballances between the characters, Capcom saw fit to make the more basic characters (the SF2 characters) REALLY F-cking powerful. Unfortunately, Capcom overcompensated in this regard. Zangief has an instant-stun jumping attack and can literally kill an opponent in two hits. Ryu is also incredibly strong. Essentially, most of the games characters are utterly useless. Why use a complex character who has to hit an opponent dozens of times to KO him if you can use a simple SF2 character and KO you opponent in 2-4 hits. The game blatantly rewards thug tactics rather than strategy and finesse so it will piss off any advanced player. Simply use the above tactic with Zangief or "turtle" with Ryu, and 90% of the games other characters will have a real run for their money. All in all, stay far away from the piece of garbage.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Cammy seems to be pretty solid in all the games I've played. I also like both her appearance and voice in SFA3. She sunds like a chipmonk with a cold in CvS2. As for Juni, thanks to SFA3's loose play mechanics, I don't consider her charge-character status to be a problem. Juni's Bison call-in super is usefull as long as the opponent is at least a step away from her. It's one of the safest supers in the game since it's diffuicult to jump over and has very little recovery time. I'm also amazed that Juni has a "pile-driver" style command throw (instantaneous, high-damage, unblockable); it's almost over-powering for a fast character like her to have such a move. My favourite aspect of SFA3 is its "Dramatic Battle" feature.

As I mentioned, I haven't yet played SF4, but I'll probably like it. SF3 is my personal favourite though I know that many people dislike that game's roster. Some characters are quite annoying (Sean, Oro, Makoto), and its boss, Gill, is a cheap jackass; however, I've come to appreciate most of the cast. Most of the characters are similar to ~ or a combination of two ~ SF2 characters but have more special moves and more complexity. Each series has solid gameplay. It's really a matter of personal preference though. SF2's characters are martial artists from around the world; SF3's characters are freaks.

Honestly, I haven't played SF for a long time; oh, the memories. I'd love to play those games again sometime.

I haven't played Tekken hardly at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did have a stupid storyline.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
Versus

Eh, Cammy kind of changes sometimes. Cannon Drill sometimes goes under projectiles. Spin Knuckle sometimes passes through mid-height attacks, such as projectiles. The big difference that makes her so awful in A3 compared to others is the recovery time of her failed attacks. Cammy is a wonderful character because she can close distance in a variety of ways and has solid counters. It doesn't really count for anything when neither spin knuckle nor cannon drill ignore projectiles, and the recovery time for a blocked cannon drill is practically a year long. Her only serious moves are cannon strike and cannon spike, but I feel that the priority on them isn't as high as it should be. That version pretty much forces you to play defensively and hope you aren't spammed with Haduken.

I loved A3 almost exclusively for it's presentation. From the music, to the art design, to the animations. It was very 90's. The Dramatic battle often sent me into fits of rage, but it was still cool as hell. I also really liked the fighting styles incorporated from the previous games. It added a little more depth to the characters.

I can appreciate 3 for it's more technical aspects, but it's flavor just doesn't suit me. I love the other roster so much specifically BECAUSE of how fucking ridiculous those characters are. It's one of the reasons I love 4 so much. When you see Guile walk on screen at the start of a match, you'll know what I mean.

I didn't like Tekken as much. The characters weren't really that interesting to me, and it's actual game play was more like muscle memory then anything else.

I can direct you to a Capcom arcade emulator if you're interested in playing some of the street fighter and cross over games on your computer. I recommend a USB controller, though.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
Versus

Quote:
Zangief has an instant-stun jumping attack and can literally kill an opponent in two hits.
Oh, shit! That reminds of something I found a while ago, but never found anyone that could quite appreciate how great it is. Maybe you'll find it as entertaining as I did.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
KontanKarite

I would have to go with SSF4 as my favorite incarnation. I would also have to agree with the statement that Ken and Ryu didn't exactly makes a decent transition into 3-D. Their shoulders just look weird. Plus, Ken would have looked more interesting with his Alpha hair.

But despite that, Ken, Ryu, Akuma. They're my boys for sure for so many different reasons. That's what I appreciate about Capcom. They can make characters with virtually the same fighting style, but there's a huge difference between them under the hood of the mechanics.

Some characters just piss me off though. El Fuerte, even though he's supposed to be a funny character, just strikes me as annoying. He would have been more interesting if he were designed to be more of a serious luchador.

Same goes for Rufus. Capcom, what is your problem? Rufus is NOT an entertaining character. There's really nothing cool about a total fat slob being as agile as Cammy or Vega. He also does tongue in cheek nods towards Fat Bastard with some of his one liners. I'm all for a "poor man's Ken", but your answer to that is Rufus? Get bent.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
That's what I appreciate about Capcom. They can make characters with virtually the same fighting style, but there's a huge difference between them under the hood of the mechanics.
Erm... Kontan, I wonder if your subtly aluding to another fighting game that has many karakters with virtually the same fighting styles but without almost any difference between them koncerning play mechaniks?

Seriously though; Capcom has always been "king" when it comes to fighting games. Personally, I love SNK because of its games' sheer style, but SNK doesn't measure up in the gameplay department.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Versus

Quote:
Some characters just piss me off though. El Fuerte, even though he's supposed to be a funny character, just strikes me as annoying. He would have been more interesting if he were designed to be more of a serious luchador.
Adon annoys the hell out of me. At least I can appreciate how weird El Fuerte is to play.

Quote:
Erm... Kontan, I wonder if your subtly aluding to another fighting game that has many karakters with virtually the same fighting styles but without almost any difference between them koncerning play mechaniks?
And I'm trying to remain optimistic about the new Mortal Kombat. It is my hope that they ate some humble-fucking-pie and will cut the bullshit.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Ha, ha, ha... The Mortal Kombat series isn't all bad; it's just really easy to make fun of. Honestly, there's always been something charming about it.

I don't know about "El Fuerte", but Adon also pisses me off with his damn screeching voice: "JAGG'ER TOOTH!" and his jackass-joker-smirk. The worst thing is, technically, Adon's not that bad a character. In my opinion though, the Alpha series has had some lackluster characters... Gen, Birdy, Rolento, Sakura, Dan, Rose, Rainbow Mika, Cody, Eagle... While some of these are interesting in one way or another, they're not as good as the old SF2 cast in my opinion. That said, I like the Aplpha versions of Sagat, Vega, Zangief, Dhalsim, Guile (though he's really simple), Blanka, etc.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
KontanKarite

I'm not talking about MK. Ken, Ryu, Akuma, and even Gouken have the same fighting styles. It's part of the story. Ken and Ryu however, are the most similar but Ken is faster while Ryu is stronger. Akuma and Gouken, they share the same fighting styles as the other two guys, but they DO have more obvious differences.

As far as Mortal Kombat goes... well, I'd like to know more about it. As I understand it, it's going to play more like UMK3 with a dash instead of a run. I think it'd be sweet. But I'm also a bit more interested in the MK Kollection HD at the moment.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I see what you mean. The difference between Ken and Ryu was very subtle in the early games but has become much more apparent as the series has progressed. For instance, Ryu and Ken are very different from one another in SF3:3rd Strike. The main difference between them these days concerns combo ability and attack priority, though I agree that Ryu seems to be somewhat stronger and slower most of the time. I like in the recent game's how Capcom has offset Akuma's extreme technical potential by giving him terrible deffense. He had the lowest vitality of any character in SF3.

Wow. I had no idea that Gouken was a playable character in SF4. I'm really glad that they didn't call him "Sheng Long"... It's weird for a shotokan character to lack a shouryuuken, but he sounds versatile anyway.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
KontanKarite

Oh, he has one as a super move and an ultra move. But his hurricane kick goes straight up in the air like a shoreyuken. Plus, he has this weird floating single punch that acts like a hurricane kick, but only hits one time. He's the least similar out of all of them. Oh, and his Ex fireball goes straight foward AND up in the air at the same time. AND you can control the direction of his fireballs depending on what punch you use and... how long you charge it.

He takes patience to learn, but seriously, he's a potential beast. Technically better than Akuma if you ask me, but Akuma is still too fun to play with and has way better personality and character development, which makes me want to play him all the time.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
KontanKarite

Oh, BTW... Marvel vs. Capcom 3... They have a total Scorpion rip off in it. This guy can do a spear move exactly like scorpion and when he does it, he says, "Get over here!"

Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Oh, BTW... Marvel vs. Capcom 3... They have a total Scorpion rip off in it. This guy can do a spear move exactly like scorpion and when he does it, he says, "Get over here!"
No way! If he's on the Capcome side of the roster, he must be some sort of a parady (like SFAlpha's Dan is a parody of SNK's Kyokugen fighters).
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
No way! If he's on the Capcome side of the roster, he must be some sort of a parady (like SFAlpha's Dan is a parody of SNK's Kyokugen fighters).
!!!
Dan is not a joke. Speak, then prepare to die.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #20
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I fear neither the Gadouken nor the Danku Kyaku. Ha, ha, ha... It looks like Dan is in the intro of Street Fighter vs. Tekken. Did you notice in the video which Kontan linked to that Ryu KO's someone who looks remarkable similar? I think that it's kind of laughable to have Ryu fight Dan in any intro though.

By the way, have you seen Dan in "SNK vs. Capcom:Chaos"? He did look pretty good there, though I know that that's a horribly broken game.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #21
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
I fear neither the Gadouken nor the Danku Kyaku. Ha, ha, ha... It looks like Dan is in the intro of Street Fighter vs. Tekken. Did you notice in the video which Kontan linked to that Ryu KO's someone who looks remarkable similar? I think that it's kind of laughable to have Ryu fight Dan in any intro though.

By the way, have you seen Dan in "SNK vs. Capcom:Chaos"? He did look pretty good there, though I know that that's a horribly broken game.
If you're referring to the one where Kazuya walks into the dojo, yes, that is Dan. He looks pretty good in SSF4 too, as you can see. His Ultra cracks me up. At the end when his opponent is thrown across the screen, he gives the "camera" a thumbs up, smiles, and one of his teeth sparkles like an Orbit Gum commercial.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #22
machel123

oh,my lady gaga ~

------------------------
golf clubs for sale
machel123 is offline   Reply With Quote