Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 12-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #101
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed Aegis
Mmmm, I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's exactly like mainstream culture. Just that there are overlapping tendancies from mainstream culture that reflect themselves in the subculture.
Social interactions and behaviour are exactly the same as mainstream culture. Go to any goth club.or online for that matter, and you will find the same exact kind of people that you would find at any other type of club. People don't change their basic personality traits just because they start dressing in black. There are social hierarchies that exist in the scene just as there are in mainstream society. The only difference that I have found in the subculture compared to the mainstream is that people tend to be a little more accepting,however that trait seems to be dissapearing by all accounts. I was a dj in two different goth scenes in two different areas of the country and I saw some very close minded behaviour coming from people in the subculture. Not just from a select few but from a whole bunch of people who claimed to be open minded.I am basing what I say on personal experience.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #102
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
I agree with you-
That's the whole thing about being a subculture and not a counterculture, innit? We hang on to the parts of our parent culture that are useful, so we have to be prepared to put up with some of the bull that they shove at us at times... but not moreso than any other concerned pesron, right comrad? I mean, er... heh heh let's not let 1984 slip by I LOVE THE MACHINE!
sorry.. eheh heh heh...
But what happens when those roots of the subculture are ignored and thrown away by the new people coming into the subculture? That is what I have seen happening for quite a while now.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #103
Shadowed Aegis

Well, it only takes a few who cling to the roots of the subculture for it to survive. Besides, there's generally a cyclical nature to these things. Perhaps years down the road it might return to its roots.
Shadowed Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #104
devereaux

Quote:
Well, it only takes a few who cling to the roots of the subculture for it to survive. Besides, there's generally a cyclical nature to these things. Perhaps years down the road it might return to its roots.
Well that is generally true, but the post-punk and arty music from which most "goth music" developed is becoming popular once again (as seen in the rise of many indie/hipster bands and groups like Interpol) yet nowadays what people think to be "goth" has radically diverged from what some of us believe it to be. After the advent of Marilyn Manson, Korn, Slipknot, and even the angsty nu-metal, people see "goth" in a wholly different, incredibly more juvenile light (in my opinion). Nu-metal "goth" is more likely to have a second-coming in the future than what many of us consider "goth" since it was entirely pervasive in popular music and got heavy play on Top 40 stations for the teenagers.

Its pretty much what Horrorgirl just said...but I guess I'm just much more verbose
devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #105
devereaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
Not only with Goths, either. But with some of my fellow tree huggers. ironic, that a bunch of us damn dirty hippies left such a mess of toxic shit on Earth day. I stayed to clean it. It was nasty. *maggot bath*.

It's talking the talk, but not knowing the language.

Picking up where someone left off, not knowing the roots, but creatin gtheir own branches. It's dead.
Yeah, but for many being a "hippie" is more about getting all sorts of high on any drugs available and listening to jam band music moreso than caring about things and having ideals...

In the past, when I used to work concert security during the summer, I had worked some Phish concerts and it really became obvious that most "hippies" these days dont actually care about anything but smoking pot and smelling bad. Someone that was all messed up on something actually walked up to me and asked if I had any LSD...me, a beast in a bright yellow "SECURITY STAFF" shirt.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #106
devereaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I care about smelling bad. It's one of my passions. Who can think of anything more fun than smelling bad?
Xng, you're in Wisconsin too....have you ever been to Alpine Valley Amplitheatre? Thats where I worked, and we'd find all sorts of people that overdose on drugs, have sex in both public and creative places, and generally make an enormous mess of themselves
Old 12-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #107
devereaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
No, doll, I only live here for school. I don't really know my way around yet...
I take it you study at **-*****...I just graduated from UW-Madison. Its like you're stuck in the middle of nowhere in *********. I suppose you could go to the Twin Cities, but its not entirely convenient

Last edited by edible_eye; 12-11-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #108
devereaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
Waka waka waka.
If this were "Showtime at the Apollo", there would be about a 60% chance you would get the hook.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #109
devereaux

Sorry, sometimes I forget some of the harsher truths of the world when trying to make harmless conversation
Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #110
Shadowed Aegis

Quote:
Originally Posted by devereaux
Its like you're stuck in the middle of nowhere
Oh no, Thunder Bay takes the award for being in the middle of frikkin nowhere, hands down.
Shadowed Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #111
devereaux

Quote:
Oh no, Thunder Bay takes the award for being in the middle of frikkin nowhere, hands down.
I dont know....as a geologist, I've been to some pretty "middle of frikkin nowhere" places that could easily be finalists....(though I havent been to Antarctica yet, I've always dreamed of going there)
Old 12-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #112
Jane13

Maybe goths should just decide on a new name... people are soiling this one... why not go back to "new romantics"? Or something else altogether like "Expressionists"(like the 1920's horror films from Geermany like Nosferatu or Kabinette of Doktor Kaligari). Naw, that's dumb, nevermind...

Hey, my brother's a geologist!
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #113
ThwanCondu

Seriously, I haven't yet met a Goth who couldn't be catagorised as a total geek. About half of them have fashion sense.

How about Geeks Who Try. Or Geeks in Eyeliner. Everyone of us has worn it at some point, ya gots ta admit.
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #114
Dark Art

Quote:
Maybe it's not in the middle of nowhere, but I can definitely say that Laramie takes the award for the most boring town. It's small, it's freezing, and it likes country music. Ugh.

I love the idea of calling Goths "Romantics" instead. That certainly describes my Gothiness. But I'm pretty sure the Rivet-Heads and CyberGoths wouldn't like that.
Dark Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #115
Godslayer Jillian

How about if we begin the "Gothic Bohemian Revolution"?
The Bohemian Revolution was about a hundred years ago. We should be celebrating this decade, commemorating one of the best movements ever
And who would be better to do this than us goths?
Let's make everything in the name of the arts and in the name of love.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #116
Circle V

I've heard Goths (and their kin) referred to as Dark Bohemians. That's pretty cool, in my opinion.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:54 PM   #117
Godslayer Jillian

Anyone wants to join me in a Gothic Bohemian Revolution?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #118
Godslayer Jillian

Hey, I just thought about something.
If a pet wanted a job, and it is capable for the job, but he didn't get the job because he's a pet, would that be taken to court?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #119
Jane13

"Dark Bohemian"... I like that... A LOT.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #120
Godslayer Jillian

Hey, that IS true
Hey, how would you guys finish this phrase for speaking about goths?
"we're not republicans. we're not democrats, we're ....."

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #121
Godslayer Jillian

I wanna say "...we're smarter than that"

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #122
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
Most of the subculture is too apathetic to care about politics which is sad. People will bitch and moan about their local clubs being closed but will do nothing about it. They would rather sit back and feel sorry for themselves.
HORRORGIRL: Not me. I see apathy as a weakness. And not something this Gothic will do. Fuck living out Gothic stereotypes. I'm probably the only person on this messageboard who does activism. [To find out details about that, send me a private-message or hit me up via e-mail.]
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #123
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.

I'm probably the only person on this messageboard who does activism.
Uhh. Pathogen?

I've always enjoyed your contributions before..

However, the above statement from you was a bit offensive.

Our forum is actually chock full of activists, for various causes.

Myself Included.

Where exactly did that observation come from, if I may ask..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #124
Circle V

Anyone else for changing the name of this site into darkbohemian.net? We might avoid most of the idiots since they likely can't spell "bohemian."

I'm kidding, of course. I think I'll be calling myself a dark bohemian from now on, though.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #125
Circle V

In all seriousness, I agree strongly that we should consider finding an alternative name for our subculture-- one that doesn't associate us with the mallgoths and faux-Satanists. (New) Romantics is nice, and I think that Expressionists is quite descriptive of my personal view of the subculture. Any suggestions?