Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Alan

Minority Births Surpass White Births

Keeping with the recent theme of race and ethnicity:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...003351818.html
Quote:
Minority Births Are New Majority
In Demographic Watershed for U.S., Newborns Among Non-Hispanic Whites Are Surpassed by Others

For the first time in U.S. history, whites of European ancestry account for less than half of newborn children, marking a demographic tipping point that is already changing the nation's politics, economy and workforce.

Among the roughly four million children born in the U.S. between July 2010 and July 2011, 50.4% belonged to a racial or ethnic group that in previous generations would have classified them as minorities, up from 48.6% in the same period two years earlier, the Census Bureau said Thursday. That was the first 12-month stretch in which non-Hispanic white children accounted for less than half the country's births.

The 2008 election of Barack Obama as America's first black president was in some ways emblematic of the nation's changing face. But as the population evolves toward a more-varied mix that includes fast-growing Asian and Hispanic populations, the black/white divide that characterized the civil-rights movement has itself become a relic.

William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, says African-Americans are the largest minority among adults over 50. But for anyone younger—including the newborns forming America's first "majority minority" generation—Hispanics are the second-largest population group after whites of European descent.

"It's a major turning point for American society," he said. "We're moving from a largely white and black population to one which is much more diverse and is a big contrast from what most baby boomers grew up with."

Thursday's census data also show that immigration isn't the main driving force behind America's growing diversity. In fact, the shift has as much to do with the aging white population as the growth in other groups. The total number of births declined between July 2010 and July 2011, compared with the same period two years earlier. But among all ethnic groups, non-Hispanic whites saw births decline just over 10%, more than any other group.

Overall, the white population is barely above the point where births exceed deaths. Last year 1,025 non-Hispanic white children were born for every 1,000 who died, compared with a ratio of 3,940 births to 1,000 deaths for all other ethnic groups, according to Kenneth Johnson, senior demographer at the University of New Hampshire's Carsey Institute.

Data for 2010 show Hispanic women give birth to 2.4 babies on average, compared with 1.8 babies for non-Hispanic whites, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. But the rapid growth of the Hispanic population isn't just due to higher birthrates: Minority women also are younger on average, so more of them are in childbearing years.

The growing diversity has spurred debate—and concerns about issues such as immigration and affirmative action in education. For the economy, the rapidly growing nonwhite population gives America a significant workforce advantage over other developed countries. In Japan and parts of Europe, the total population is shrinking as deaths outnumber births. The U.S. is on track to avoid that fate thanks to a higher birthrate as well as immigration.

Few places illustrate this better than America's heartland, where many rural areas are locked in a cycle of "natural decrease," which happens when more people die than are born. But in pockets of Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska, Hispanics are reviving small towns that would otherwise be in decline.

In Nebraska, the Latino population jumped 77% between 2000 and 2010, when the state's population overall grew 7%. In 1990, 11.5% of the population under the age of 5 consisted of minorities. In the '90s, most of the growth in the Hispanic population was due to in-migration, but today births are the driving force, said David Drozd, research coordinator at the Center for Public Affairs Research at the University of Nebraska in Omaha. In-migration refers to people moving into a place from other countries and states, rather than people born to those already there.

Schuyler, Neb., a rural town of 6,211 settled by Irish and German immigrants, is now 65% Hispanic, up from 41% in 2000 and just 4% in 1990. Many Hispanics work at the local meatpacking plant, the largest employer. Others run mom-and-popshops or restaurants on downtown's B Street, where storefronts had stood vacant for years. On a recent spring day, mothers pushing strollers were ubiquitous, said city administrator Mary Peschel, whose office faces the street.

Not far from Schuyler, at Columbus Community Hospital, between half and 60% of the babies born in the past two years were Hispanic, according to head nurse Diane Ward. "Twenty years ago, a Hispanic baby was rare. Now it's the norm," she said. The hospital has interpreters around the clock, Ms. Ward said, but demand has eased as more Mexican and Guatemalan immigrants learn English.

The school district has grown 1,800 students from 1,300 in the last decade, largely because of the Hispanic influx. About 90% of the students in the building that houses kindergarten to third graders are Hispanic, said Superintendent Robin Stevens, and six of every 10 students in Schuyler's public high school are Hispanic.

Before November's balloting, county officials have hired a Spanish-speaking election coordinator and recruited Spanish-speaking poll workers for precincts with large Latino populations.

Today marks a milestone in which ethnic inclusion and multiculturalism are not just a matter of principle or political correctness. Today we can honestly say that the United States is a minority country, one whose diversity does not give any mathematical majority to one group over the others.

Just don't read the comment section. It will make you hate humankind.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Versus

I don't think that's indicative that there will be any immediate change in the national perception, policies, or the like, though. I don't think that I need to provide evidence that working class families have more children, or that working class families are not the people "making policies, influencing national perception, and the like."
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
AshleyO

I'm with Alan on this to an extent.

Is it possible that our generation and the generation after us is unique enough and conscious enough and smart enough to realize certain problems and when we become the gray hairs running the country, can it be possible that things will be uniquely better?

I would like to think it's possible. This article makes me feel optimistic.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
AshleyO

...I accidentally the comments section and died so hard that I forgot to be dead.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
Versus

Now I have to look.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Versus

Quote:
Kyle Lyles Replied:

A little bit of scary truth here. We license dogs and charge more for those not neutered. Why is that?
Fbdbjcndkslchfrjskscjsurhdbxnskdcc

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Fbdbjcndkslchfrjskscjsurhdbxnskdcc
That's nothing, read this.

Quote:
Ed DeLuca Wrote:

Remember the Monty Python movie, the Meaning of Life where the protestant said of the catholic - those bloody roman Catholic's putting out more kids than they can bloody afford? That is one for the ages. At least those kids went for scientific experiments. My tax dollars pay for those breeding pigs - of whatever color
Why do I get the feeling the white supremacist organizations out there are going to be getting an increase in membership.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
CptSternn

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...erican-values/

You have to love all the GOP groups coming out of the woodwork to have their extremely bigoted views heard...

Quote:
It is not a good thing. The immigrants do not share American values, so it is a good bet that they will not be voting Republican when they start voting in large numbers.
[...]
Instead, the USA is being transformed by immigrants who do not share those values, and who have high rates of illiteracy, illegitimacy, and gang crime, and they will vote Democrat when the Democrats promise them more food stamps.
You really don't have to try and make the GOP look like a bunch of knuckle-dragging racist bigots, they do it themselves, openly. Often.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
CptSternn

Just in case you didn't fully get the GOP stance on this topic, check out the comments made by various GOP supporters below this article...

http://tinyurl.com/blauj6l
Old 05-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
Versus

rfd jtdzsthmgdrhknvsraarukbcdkhfgfjjkjoojp

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
Elystan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
Is it possible that our generation and the generation after us is unique enough and conscious enough and smart enough to realize certain problems and when we become the gray hairs running the country, can it be possible that things will be uniquely better?
Do you know what happens to hippies who spurn temporal power?

They don't acquire temporal power.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
^^v^^

"Instead, the USA is being transformed by immigrants who do not share those values, and who have high rates of illiteracy, illegitimacy, and gang crime"

Kind of like the original immigrants who came here and didn't speak or read any of the native languages, went around promiscuously with the native women but wouldn't claim the children, and then put groups together to eradicate the natives so they could take their land. What's that saying....what goes around comes around. You should never be angry about the example you and yours set, though I guess you can be afraid that people will use it as a building model.

That being said. I very much doubt what they seem to hope for will actually happen. Truth is, whites are one of the minorities of the world, it's just that America has always been ignorant of it. It's nice to see how the rest of the world looks start to penetrate this country. I hope that it does bring change and people will learn to accept this as a good thing, not fear it and bring about hatred and violence like has been done so in the past.
^^v^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
That's nothing, read this.

Why do I get the feeling the white supremacist organizations out there are going to be getting an increase in membership.
In my first year I had to read an ethnography about the birth rate in Italy, I can't remember what it was called, but anyway. In one of the chapters the anthropologist talks about how family size is viewed in Italy, for white Italians one or two kids is enough and there's a stigma to having more, and immigrants who are used to having traditional large families are viewed as promiscuous and moochy. There was a poster in the book of a black woman rising out of the sea, naked, obese and with child and the caption was something like "The New Face Of Italy".

What I'm trying to say is that yeah, racists will probably get more vocal about this, but tough shit for them. And its not uniquely an American thing.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
In my first year I had to read an ethnography about the birth rate in Italy, I can't remember what it was called, but anyway. In one of the chapters the anthropologist talks about how family size is viewed in Italy, for white Italians one or two kids is enough and there's a stigma to having more, and immigrants who are used to having traditional large families are viewed as promiscuous and moochy. There was a poster in the book of a black woman rising out of the sea, naked, obese and with child and the caption was something like "The New Face Of Italy".

What I'm trying to say is that yeah, racists will probably get more vocal about this, but tough shit for them. And its not uniquely an American thing.
Switzerland just had an election where one party openly campaigned on the idea of getting the blacks out of the country. In the recent Greek elections the Nazi party, yes the same Nazi party you are thinking of, got 7% of the vote. In the past French election a few weeks ago the National Front got like 15% of the vote, another Aryan white power group which also has members in America now.

It's not that other countries don't have racist bigots, it's that they are in such small numbers they have never and can never actually effect any changes. That however seems to be changing as the world takes many cues from America. As racism and bigotry become more open in America it signals to other people who might harbour racist views to be more open. It has a knock on effect worldwide. Americans are by no means the root cause, but the very public stance we are seeing by mainstream politicians and religious leaders is having a damning effect worldwide.

That accompanied by the fact American politicians who do engage in such rhetoric always try and mask it with some legitimate reason. Ban Mexicans because they take up important space in over crowded hospitals and fill up our public schools! Ban gays because gay men can't serve in the military as they would be reluctant to shoot handsome enemies! The craziness goes on, but these ideas and themes come from conservative think tanks who go out of their way to try and justify their racism, bigoted views and even though they cannot truly be justified they are of course taken in by the racists in other countries who regurgitate the same tripe worldwide.

The fact women, blacks, and gays are once again having to fight for the rights they had already achieved decades ago, again, in America says a lot.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
Alan

I completely disagree. There's a shitload of new forms of institutional racism popping up in America, the most iconic one is the ban on hispanic studies in Arizona, but if anything I have seen less populist racism as of lately.
In my experience the ultra-right backlash to the economic downturn is a European thing and the problem is that America might follow in the footsteps of Europe, not the other way around.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
Saya

I agree with Alan, America has some ultra conservatives but fascism in Europe goes way back, its not just something that's starting up again. BNP gained popularity some years ago, don't forget, and while America's right talks big they still have a centrist president and Senate, and with Romney and the Republicans being hawks aching to fight Iran I don't see that changing this election.

I think many countries are moving away from centrism as a backlash to the economy, which can go in a good direction like France electing a leftist, or it can go in a really bad direction.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
Joker_in_the_Pack

In all historical fairness, America isn't BECOMING an immigrant country. It's becoming a more diverse immigrant country. I had a big row with someone about this and they kept complaining about the rising population of immigrants until I reminded him we're arguing in English not Chumashan.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #18
Grausamkeit

Let's get with the diversity, bitches!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
Saya

So, this might be a little off topic, but the book I'm reading mentioned that minorites and immigrants are typically imprisoned more than whites, and if you're convicted of a felony in some states you lose the right to vote at all. The prison industrial complex is privatized and the quota that needs to be filled often has terrible racist consequences.

What I'm getting at is that at the rate of incarceration and the huge prisoner population, even if minorities are having more kids, do they have the voting power to change the government?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
Versus

Immigrant is not a synonym for minority kthnx

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
Saya

Just saw this in my tumblr dash:

Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
Versus

I feel bad for laughing.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
Saturnine Entropic Wyrm

The concept of race, to me, is nonsense. We're all Africans. There are biological differences in us all, and there are certainly patterns to be found based on geographical regions, but we're still part of one human experience.
Clannish notions of white solidarity, along with religious dominionism, have long been my main concerns with the US. I want to believe that my generation will identify and tackle these problems, and that the recent rise in open hate and bigotry are the dying twitches of a doomed element here... But when I look at the statistics, I wonder if I should start the paperwork for a passport.
Saturnine Entropic Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote