Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
vindicatedxjin

50's pin up ideas?

I'm doing a photo shoot within the next month. I need ideas on what to wear (preferably affordable ideas) and how to do my makeup/hair. Also... Since I have very Asian features, should I accentuate them or try to tone them down...since most pin up girls look very "caucasian". I have no idea whatsoever as to what to do... and the photographer thinks I can pull it together on my own fine! WRONG!

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Pineapple_Juice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1dIBQuWPw0
^Pinup-type makeup
Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
triggerhappi26

Well what's your budget and are you ok with online shopping I know a bunch of great Vintage sites, some burlesque shops are great too.

as for getting that "Caucasian" look

The link Pineapple posted is good for make up but to make your features appear different heres some quick tips.

I'm assuming you're good with covering up flaws and shaping your eyebrows and such so as for changing the appearance of your eyes I'm not sure if you're looking to change the look of your eyelid from double fold to single fold or vice versa so I'll wait for a response on that front.

For making small eyes look longer:

1)Apply an eyeshadow close to your skin tone
2)Use a darker eyeshadow to draw a line from your upper eyelid to the double fold line or where you'd want that line to be if you have a single fold eyelid
3)Use an even darker eyeshadow to draw a triangle in the inner corner of your eye
4)Use a black eye liner to draw a line on your upper eyelid that is at a slight angle from the outer corner pointing down to about halfway across your eyelid
5)Use pencil eyeliner to draw a smooth line along the curve of your upper eyelid
6)Draw a line on your lower eyelid about 1/3 across starting from the outer corner
7)Use black liquid eyeliner to shade in the area between the line you made at step 4 and the the curve of your upper eyelid
8)Use an eyelash curler to curl your upper eyelashes and attach 4 fake eyelashes evenly spaced from the outer corner to mid eye
9)Apply Mascara to your upper eyelid
10)holding the mascara brush vertically apply eyelashes CAREFULLY to the lower eyelashes
11)Highlight the inner corner of your eye with a whitish color eyeshadow

Make your eyes look wider:
(if you can, get contact lenses that have a larger iris it makes the most dramatic difference)
1)Use a black eyeliner pencil to draw a line on the edge of your eyelid filling in between your eyelashes, make this line more curved to wards the center
2)Use liquid eyeliner to trace over the eyeliner for emphasis
3)Use a black eyeliner to draw a line from the outer corner to mid eye on your lower eyelid
4)Apply a yellow beige eyeshadow over the entire eyelid
5)Use a darker eyeshadow than in step4 from the crease in the eyelid and above to create gradiation
6)Use a darker eyeshadow than used in step 5 on your upper eyelid following your eyeliner

Creating a Caucasian looking face
1)After applying foundation, apply a slightly lighter powder than your skintone from the brow to your cheekbones in a sideways V shaped pattern
2)Apply highlights to your forehead, the bridge of your nose, and your chin
3) Add slight color to your cheeks, pink is best

Outside those basics I'd need some more specifics on what you'd want to change about your features.

Hope this helped
triggerhappi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Saya

I wouldn't go for the Caucasian look. The 50s wasn't exactly a time of sunshine and rainbows and racial harmony, I'd accentuate your features to reclaim the look rather than try and whitewash yourself.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
triggerhappi26

See I don't agree there if she's modeling in a photo shoot then playing a character makes for amazing photos.

Why not use every tool at her disposal?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Saya

She can look amazing even if she looks Asian :P
Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
triggerhappi26

True and I'm sure she does or she wouldn't be doing a photoshoot.

But a models job isn't about looking like who they are as much as it's about looking like what the photographer wants to achieve by creating that picture.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Saya

But if he wanted a white pin up model, why wouldn't he ask for a white girl to do it? Besides, like I said, the problem with pin up models was that there were very few visible minorities because it was a more racist time, only the decade before we were throwing Japanese immigrants and their families into internment camps. Why cater to the notion that Asians are undesirable?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
triggerhappi26

Ok you're reading way too much into this, it's a photo not an activist movement.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Saya

The personal is political.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
triggerhappi26

Be yourself is a good philosophy for life but in certain places you're supposed to be playing a part.

Tv, movies, theater and even photography.

See this is a Caucasian woman playing a geisha the make up just makes it seem all the more real. She's playing the part.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Saya

And a lot of people get upset with whitewashing in film and tv too, like Prince Of Persia and The Last Airbender, which features white people instead of Persians and Inuit.

And yeah, white people appropriate other cultures all the time, we fetishize Asian culture in particular. And while I'm guilty of owning Asian-style clothing myself, and I'm not saying we can't ever do it, we should definitely be mindful about it and think about it.

Not to mention that racial minorities just don't get featured in films, tv, theatre or photography as much as white people do, there's a definite lack of representation.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
triggerhappi26

Back on topic though.

As for clothes here is some good sites that even if you aren't looking to buy from there it wouldn't be too difficult to remake.

http://www.gypsiesdoitbetter.com/rerowiandswd.html

http://www.starletsandharlets.com/50...ress_s/277.htm

http://www.burlesquebaby.com.au/burlesque-dresses.html

http://www.babygirlboutique.com/modemerr.html

If you need any more ideas try looking up the pin ups of Bettie Page, you can't go wrong there.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
vindicatedxjin

Thanks to everyone for they're opinions. As for the whole racial thing. Neither of ya'll are wrong. To be honest I'm half and half. It doesn't really matter if I look either or because you'll still see that I'm mixed. I was just curious about whether I would look kind of stupid if I looked "too" Asian. But since Saya mentioned the whole concentration camp/Japanese thing in the 50's. . . I think it is an excellent idea to bring out my Asian features more.... I also think my photographer would like the idea as well. As for all the links thanks alot. I'm going to try to save up some money for a nice dress...and possibly a vintage looking swim suit. I'll have to play alot with my hair and makeup though... Pineapple pointed out that my victory roll in the photo thread looked like a flower lol... don't want that.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
vindicatedxjin

Love this!

Bring Kontan Back
Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post

Not to mention that racial minorities just don't get featured in films, tv, theatre or photography as much as white people do, there's a definite lack of representation.

Back off topic...but this is very true. Obviously you hardly ever see Asians in films. I don't think I've ever seen a full blooded Asian play the lead in any American films. It's even worse that the majority of Asians who do get showed in a tv show or film are portrayed as either Chinese or Japanese. It makes me sad because you never see any Koreans. (except in Lost which I was uber happy about) And I might be biased, since I'm a quarter, but Korean actors are awesome! It's sad.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Frenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a full blooded Asian play the lead in any American films.
Im going to take this literally and mention Jackie Chan. He may have been born in what was then a British holding, but he is undeniably Asian, and quite possibly the most apparent Asian actor ever in the American movie industry.
Frenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
vindicatedxjin

Okay true, but He is also Chinese.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #19
Frenn

Agreed.
China and Japan do kinda overshadow the rest of the Asian populace.

As for Koreans...John Cho.
Frenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
Saya

There's been a lot of martial arts movies with Asian leads, I'm trying to think of other genres.....still thinking....

John Cho was pretty awesome in Star Trek.

Oh and if you get a bob, go for the Elizabeth Taylor look, I think it would look great:

Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #21
vindicatedxjin

Bob still hasn't happened... I'm still very leery of it.

Bring Kontan Back