Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
truth_at_last

new with questions!!

Hi

I'm a bit new to this. Just wondered if I could introduce myself, maybe ask a couple of questions?
I hate the phrase "turning" something, it doesn't sound right, but recently I have found myself drawn towards a gothic way of life. Sorry, that doesn't sound right either, but I can't think how to describe it.
It's like suddenly realising this has been in you all along, who you are, but only just seeing it.
Admittedly a lot of this has been drawn from a certai degree of pain/isolation in my life but this wasn't a decision I made to mask it, it simply felt like the right expression of it. The right expression of me.
Since then, it's just felt like finally being true to myself and saying sod the lot of you who choose to judge.
I live in a very small, very traditional village so it hasn't been overly easy and I don't know anyone else who shares my life choices so I looked for a site such as this. I'd very much like to meet some like-minded people and if possible be able to ask some questions about this.
I'd like to know a lot more than I do about gothic culture and tradition, it was this that I was drawn to, not simply wearing black and changing music choices which is what a lot of people I know think gothic is.

I'm sorry if this isn't the place to do this, but I'd appreciate any replies at all.
If you think I'm in the wrong place then by all means tell me!

Thank you
truth_at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Cicero

Sorry to disappoint you, but the people you know are right, goth (not gothic - that's an adjective) really is no more than music and fashion. That doesn't make it any less interesting though, since the music is generally awesome and the fashion is a lot more than just a lot of black.

If you want to know more about goth, look up the bands that started it - Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, Specimen, Sex Gang Children, etc, etc. All very good stuff.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
weiwei

The major

The major wow gold presidential hopeful spent some time talking wow goldabout the wow power leveling economy today. Republican John McCain told small business

wow power leveling owners in Washington DC his ideas will be better for them. wow power

leveling

NPR's Scott Horsley reports.weiwei1978123
weiwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
KontanKarite

Sounds to me that what you're experiencing is a desire to get away from some repression, either imposed from others or a self imposed repression.

It's natural and healthy to realize this and act accordingly. So if it is a repressive environment you live in, stop denying yourself the fruits of life that make you happy. It doesn't have to be goth to be different or interesting. Also, to nip it in the bud quickly, you're not exactly a tortured soul, just a repressed one.

Take a walk outside in the rain, listen to music that you truly enjoy and not because everyone else likes it or expects you to like it, go to a party, throw your own party, write a story, take a hike, something.

How is it that one person mentioned here, I think it was Jillian, "What's so great about goth if you adhere to arbitrary norms of what is considered 'dark'?"

You're probably just a creative person and haven't quite realized it yet. Get into DIY arts and crafts or something. You'll feel so much better.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
bleedingheart344

What Kontan said. I'd also say take a listen to Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy on youtube for the hell of it and see if you like it. You may find some new bands you like.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
acrossthedam

I wanted to write you because I like you am also new, although not so much to the gothic 'scene' but to the board. I also live in a super small town, and people aren't always kind but I applaud you for being brave enough to go against the grain and being who you think you are, good for you!
Personally for me being gothic is not something I woke up and said I was going to be, I’ve always been a little out there. For me being a Goth has very little to do with the clothes (although who doesn't like to dress up) It has a lot to do with oppression, and what your pain is, and then coming forward with it and embracing the human instinct to feel. Mourning for what you aren't, and loving deeply for all you are. It's about feeling depression, happiness, and a deep joy for all people. No it's not 'EMO', and what an ugly word that is, it is knowing all that life is.
I don't think that's quite what you were asking about, but it's good to be said every once in awhile.
acrossthedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Noirette

Just a thought.

I think that everyone has his or her own view of what "goth" is, and it can be entirely different for any person, but I still think that there are things that unite the people who can be described as goths.
For me it's a life when you try to find who you really are, among this human, sometimes dumb and blind, crowd.
For me it is a quest, or maybe more corectly, a way of life,to discover the true meaning of things.
Though, ironicly, I don't believe that anything in this chaos called "life" has a true meaning. Maybe it's all about discovering the true meaning for me, like you discovered the gothic...culture, or way of thinking, or maybe simply this sometimes painfully beautiful, or beautifully painful loneliness.

The only thing I can say about what goth may be, is that for me Anne Rice's books are simply gothic. But they not all that gothic is for me.
This stubborness of humanity, the chaothic beuty of sadness, the beauty which always has to die, the eternal question about the emptyness of life-does life have a meaning at all?
A part of humanity's suffering, told in such enchanting words make me feel somewhat hopeful, yet fragile, but not willing to giveup.

Wow, I never meant to write that much.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Cicero

If all words meant different things to different people our language would be one big shitpot of confusion.

GOTH = MUSIC (first and foremost) + FASHION.

Why the fuck to people cling to the label so desperately? If you don't like goth music, tough shit, you're not a goth. Go find another word to lay your deep, dark thoughts upon. Being a goth makes no fucking difference to anything but your wardrobe and music collection. THE END.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Barfing_Rat

lol I'm glad I can't hear music. I dont need to worry about label accord to music. I'm no goth either but I like goth people :-D
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirette
I think that everyone has his or her own view of what "goth" is, and it can be entirely different for any person, but I still think that there are things that unite the people who can be described as goths.
For me it's a life when you try to find who you really are, among this human, sometimes dumb and blind, crowd.
For me it is a quest, or maybe more corectly, a way of life,to discover the true meaning of things.
Though, ironicly, I don't believe that anything in this chaos called "life" has a true meaning. Maybe it's all about discovering the true meaning for me, like you discovered the gothic...culture, or way of thinking, or maybe simply this sometimes painfully beautiful, or beautifully painful loneliness.

The only thing I can say about what goth may be, is that for me Anne Rice's books are simply gothic. But they not all that gothic is for me.
This stubborness of humanity, the chaothic beuty of sadness, the beauty which always has to die, the eternal question about the emptyness of life-does life have a meaning at all?
A part of humanity's suffering, told in such enchanting words make me feel somewhat hopeful, yet fragile, but not willing to giveup.

Wow, I never meant to write that much.
In all that...
Why do you need the word "goth"?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Tea and Cake or Death

I kind of agree with Cicero on his "label" point of view. Let go of the stereotypes and labels. Follow what makes you happy, and at the end of the day, if you enjoy listening to Bauhaus, awesome. But don't be so desperate to become a goth that you listen to "all the right bands" even though you hate them just so that you can feel as though you belong to a group. If you are faking it, eventually the group members will see through it, and your new label will be "poser." Also, he was right about the music and fashion thing. In fact, I think those are about the only two constant things about Goths. Just be happy, and fuck the labels others give you.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Goth: it's not a destination, it's a journey!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
If all words meant different things to different people our language would be one big shitpot of confusion.

GOTH = MUSIC (first and foremost) + FASHION.

Why the fuck to people cling to the label so desperately? If you don't like goth music, tough shit, you're not a goth. Go find another word to lay your deep, dark thoughts upon. Being a goth makes no fucking difference to anything but your wardrobe and music collection. THE END.
Maybe add the literature too?

Noirette: The pioneering goths (both in denial and the ones who take responsibility) would find the prior diatribe to be laughable at best and pretentious (even for us) at worst.

It's one thing to embrace the aesthetics and another to non-humorously aspire to live a shallow escapist lifestyle revolving around nothing but goth ("goth" soap/toothpaste/silky chicken, sleep in coffins, Alchemy England jewelry...The fugly kind).

Maybe reading this will help: http://www.republicofnewhome.org/lair/writing/tab4.txt (If you don't laugh, you have a heart of stone)

But you're not doomed unless you think that "being goth on the inside is the most important" and subscribe to it.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #14
Noirette

Godslayer Jillian:
What do you mean by this?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
Noirette

So you are free to laugh out loud.

It's just the meaning that this word has for me, nothing more.
And so, meaningless to you, of course.

I don't know if the music that I hear can be describes as "goth", and I don't find it impotant. Music is way more than labels, it can't be named.
Nevertheless, living all your life trying to fit the "goth side of life" using only super-dark-cool-goth-things looks simply pathetic to me.
Though I used to be like this when I was eleven, it was just a part of trying to find a place or culture or something that I felt belong to.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

What do I mean by that?
Simple:
You are talking about how you're finding yourself in the world; how you see beauty in some things; all that jazz.
Why did you choose to call it 'goth'?
Finding a meaning to life isn't goth; it's life.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
Cicero

The 'goth' label doesn't really matter, even with music, it just makes it a lot easier to string it all together ("You like Siouxsie and the Banshees? Then hey, you might like Bauhaus, another GOTH band"). Latching onto the word in any way, be it to describe your tortured, intellectual soul or your super-spooky lifestyle, is ridiculous. Goth isn't the power word so many people turn it into. It's just a boring old description, neither good nor bad.

Oh and yes, add gothic literature into the equation, to a lesser extent than the music though of course.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #18
viscus

It seems as though you're looking for some kind of religion or philosophy. You're not going to find a specific one in the Goth subculture, Goths carry a wide range of beliefs and lifestyles.

And I'm getting a little tired of the "music can't be labeled or classified" nonsense. Yes it can, there is objective criteria for doing so. Is it that important in the grand scheme of things? No, but it is done.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #19
Noirette

Well, my mistake.
Music can and is labeled, but I think it's more than the lable that matters.
people aren't what they hear, though it says a lot about them.
And how many bands can you classify in just one lable?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #20
Lolly PopMuzik

Just let go of the idea that "music based subcultures=way of life." It's not only easier that way, it'll make you look less deluded and block-headed.

In before badteccy makes fun of your custom title.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #21
Noirette

Finding a meaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
What do I mean by that?
Simple:
You are talking about how you're finding yourself in the world; how you see beauty in some things; all that jazz.
Why did you choose to call it 'goth'?
Finding a meaning to life isn't goth; it's life.
Finding a meaning is life with conciousness, with self-awareness. Life with thoughts. Many people live blankly.

People who let me listen to the music which inspired me called it "goth", and some books I have red were described as "goth" too, so I guess I just put together all the things it made me feel and think and be, and called it "goth".

Now I see that it's probably the wrong name for it, and that the music probably isn't goth, and so is the literature.