Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Sephiroth Kali

Lacuna Coil, In or Out?

So what is the general opinion, do you consider LC in the community?
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Entropic

No.

Yes.

Wait.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--------

They're in the community as much as the Beatles are.
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Pineapple_Juice

I've said it once and I'll say it again-the thin fellow looks like a child molester to me and it makes me uncomfortable.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I listen to Lacuna Coil everyday, and I love their music. But they're not Goth.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
I love their music. But they're not Goth.
That about covers it.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Man In Room 5

Let's just say I paid hard earned cash for that shitty CD with the grenade on it and I'll never buy another L.C. CD again. They're OK but they're only OK, nothing more. They're the generic "dark" band that others must play off or play against. They're like the generic no-thrills template of poppy goth metal.

If you wanted a sort of lame, generic "goth metal" character in a sitcom you'd depict him listening to Lacuna Coil and shopping at Hot Topic so that vanilla flavored members of the mainstream audience would understand that he's supposed to be dark and edgy, but real goths would laugh at this character instead.

If the world was ruled by goths and goth music was everywhere then Lacuna Coil would be the music in your dentist's waiting room but that's about it.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Sephiroth Kali

Interesting viewpoints. Especially the last one. Wherein lies the root of the problem. Everyone can point out a goth band, or goth music, but few can describe what is necessary for a band to be goth.

What is a goth band, what is goth music?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth Kali View Post
Interesting viewpoints. Especially the last one. Wherein lies the root of the problem. Everyone can point out a goth band, or goth music, but few can describe what is necessary for a band to be goth.

What is a goth band, what is goth music?
You know what. Lacuna Coil is goth. Any band where the members wear black clothes and dark make up... is a goth band. There. Problem solved. Now fuck off, troll.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
creature6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
You know what. Lacuna Coil is goth. Any band where the members wear black clothes and dark make up... is a goth band. There. Problem solved. Now fuck off, troll.
i could not help laughing when i read your post.
well said.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Sephiroth Kali

Quote:
sorry, im not that easily run off. I don't troll, and I don't care for individuals who dont care for intelligent discussion.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
JethroAranas

Ahhmm, they're good; most especially the only girl. She's Hot!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
KontanKarite

Quote:
sorry, im not that easily run off. I don't troll, and I don't care for individuals who dont care for intelligent discussion.
Why does this have to be important? WHY does it matter if LC is goth or not to you?

To be honest, LC is a shitty "gothic" metal band that you will never fucking ever hear at a real goth club or goth night. I was dismissing your thread because it MATTERS to you that LC is a goth band, which is fucking retarded.

Dig it, I listen to Orgy, Deadsy, and Dethclok. None of which are goth and I'll be damned if I give a flying rim job if any goths out there give a damn. So why should you or anyone else?

Goth is a fucking word you use to sell shitty music to Hot Topic assholes who have a hard on for eyeliner.

The reason goth rock is so hard to define anymore is because of people who fucking insist that their piss poor spooky band is goth so that they can feel cool around the skinny snobs with black mohawks. In short, mother BUTT FUCK the word "goth".

Old 04-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
Sephiroth Kali

someone is a little angry eh?

I care about my music, boo ho. I listen to other forms of music as well, whether it is labeled goth or not.

The reason I asked is because I had seen an article that referenced the last album, and stated that the band's musical style had changed, which I can agree with. I then looked up the band on Wikipedia (no comment please.) and noticed the band was no longer considered "gothic" metal or rock. So I decided to here what others thought on the issue.

congrats, you don't like the word goth. Who gives a shit. You have your views an opinions, I certainly have mine.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #14
KontanKarite

OK. You're right about my reaction, so I'm just going to state some facts.

LC was never goth in the least, point blank. The reason for this is because goth is technically a derivative of punk rock and has no relation to metal in any way. Without punk, you'd never have goth or at least post-punk for that matter. Metal had nothing to do with goth at all. Hence, the easiest way to identify a goth by looking is if you actually see a predominantly black clad punk with more post punk or deathrock and goth rock band patches or tee shirts. But that's a huge generalization and I already know that.

The only similarities between goth and metal would be aesthetic style choices and even then a trained eye could conceivably notice the difference between the two style wise on a fashion level.

It's not that I hate the word, it's that the word somehow holds a mystique about it that somehow empowers people to think they're better off being a goth. The word holds a lot of connotation. If people think you're a goth, there's a huge chance they'll think or assume you're intelligent, dark, romantic, and poetic or at least these people would like to think that. But it's not the case. It's annoying to me as much as fat chicks who say they're witches somehow makes them think that they're actually sexual vixens cause they all there is to know about magical sex.

In short, LC isn't goth. Never was, never will be. I only got annoyed because this was never an intelligent conversation to begin with because anyone that knows better would have never bothered to bring it up in the first place. So I assumed you were a troll.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
JCC

Lacuna Coil suck.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

There actually are qualities that make a band goth or not goth. I can't be fucked to post them all, because I'm eating breakfast, but there are stylistic differences just like any other genre.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #17
Stormtrooper of Death

Never listened to them before to be honest, always found the merits of obscure underground bands to be more my style.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #18
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Never listened to them before to be honest, always found the merits of obscure underground bands to be more my style.
"Looking clever is more important to me than liking the shit I listen to."
Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #19
Stormtrooper of Death

Looking clever? What's this shit? Don't you even get started with me you fuckin prick. I've been attracted to underground music for a few years and it has nothing to do with the way I dress or act. I've always liked to be able to listen to music that not many other people do and when I do run into somebody that likes it as well, it's nice to be able to talk with them just one on one, so just fuck off already prick.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #20
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Looking clever? What's this shit? Don't you even get started with me you fuckin prick. I've been attracted to underground music for a few years and it has nothing to do with the way I dress or act. I've always liked to be able to listen to music that not many other people do and when I do run into somebody that likes it as well, it's nice to be able to talk with them just one on one, so just fuck off already prick.
"Being in a clique of people that try and look clever together circle-jerking over our limited edition vinyls is more fulfilling to me than liking the shit I listen to."
Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #21
Stormtrooper of Death

You'll just do this no matter what I type, so I'll finish with this then.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #22
Sephiroth Kali

Quote:
OK. You're right about my reaction, so I'm just going to state some facts.

LC was never goth in the least, point blank. The reason for this is because goth is technically a derivative of punk rock and has no relation to metal in any way. Without punk, you'd never have goth or at least post-punk for that matter. Metal had nothing to do with goth at all. Hence, the easiest way to identify a goth by looking is if you actually see a predominantly black clad punk with more post punk or deathrock and goth rock band patches or tee shirts. But that's a huge generalization and I already know that.

The only similarities between goth and metal would be aesthetic style choices and even then a trained eye could conceivably notice the difference between the two style wise on a fashion level.

It's not that I hate the word, it's that the word somehow holds a mystique about it that somehow empowers people to think they're better off being a goth. The word holds a lot of connotation. If people think you're a goth, there's a huge chance they'll think or assume you're intelligent, dark, romantic, and poetic or at least these people would like to think that. But it's not the case. It's annoying to me as much as fat chicks who say they're witches somehow makes them think that they're actually sexual vixens cause they all there is to know about magical sex.

In short, LC isn't goth. Never was, never will be. I only got annoyed because this was never an intelligent conversation to begin with because anyone that knows better would have never bothered to bring it up in the first place. So I assumed you were a troll.
Interesting. While you are correct in the origins of goth music, I would say that ideally the music should have evolved, I would assume a band would combine the qualities inherent in post-punk "goth rock" and combine them with metal music, creating a new genre. I would dare say that this is how most new music genre's are created, the human mind is amazing, but I would not expect each generation to come up with a completely unique time of music.

Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Lacuna Coil suck.
They do have some songs that suck. Actually, there are about only a dozen songs I really like, but the ones I like are like, heavy man.

And Andrea Ferro's voice can't hold a candle next to Cristina Scabbia's, and well...in live performances he really is shit sometimes (can't hold a note!), but as a studio band they are awesome.

Just as I am not blindly loyal to any organization or concept, I am not as loyal to my music either. I mean, hell, I used to listen to Country Western in the early 90's! I still listen to Clint Black, Martina McBride, the Dixie Chicks, and Vince Gill now and then. But yeah, one can't be dogmatic with music.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
KontanKarite

Quote:
Interesting. While you are correct in the origins of goth music, I would say that ideally the music should have evolved, I would assume a band would combine the qualities inherent in post-punk "goth rock" and combine them with metal music, creating a new genre. I would dare say that this is how most new music genre's are created, the human mind is amazing, but I would not expect each generation to come up with a completely unique time of music.

Thoughts?
Thoughts on a goth rock/metal hybrid? Fail faggotry. They've been trying it for years and it sucks. Crust punk is pretty much a fusion of metal and punk and most of it strikes me as totally lame. I'm really not a fan of metal though.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #25
Sephiroth Kali

alright, thanks for the input.

HP: While I like a significant amount of their songs, I can agree with you on Ferro's voice. Especially over time it seems more grating on my ear drums. I've noticed this as well with Alexander Krull of Leaves Eyes. While I am a fan of the B&B sound, his voice comes across mostly just as trying to hard.