Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
Dragomira

What's the history of these gothic jewels?

I do hope I have chosen the right section to post this.
I collect gothic jewelry and I've just bought some new pieces. As I was looking at them, a question suddenly popped in my mind: what exactly is the historical period/country/style these modern 'romantic' gothic pendants are inspired by?
I always thought that most 'romantic' gothic jewelry I see around was inspired by traditional Romanian/orthodox jewelry because it all goes back to Dracula, but after taking a proper look online at what traditional Romanian and orthodox jewelry looks like, I'm prepared to admit I might have been wrong about that.
In any case, these are the jewels in question:

A friend of mine says they're inspired by Celtic jewelry, but to be honest I don't agree. Another one claims Are they inspired by general medieval jewelry? Or do you know anything more specific about this kind of style? It looks to me as if the decorations could even be inspired by actual gothic architecture.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
P.S. I bought these, but I can't upload pictures from my phone it seems. The pictures I have posted are those of the seller (with the link to her page included, of course).
Dragomira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Dragomira

I'm sorry for the double post, but it seems I can't edit my original post more than once?
I just wanted to add that the same question goes for the crosses in the background picture. Those are not celtic crosses. What historical style are they inspired from? General roman catholic medieval tradition? Is that what most 'romantic' gothic jewelry is inspired by?
Thanks!
Dragomira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Stormbringer

Hi Dragomira, Well you're right about one thing they are definitely not Celtic. Faceted stones started becoming popular in the Renaissance (15th - 16th century) and gem cutting was very advanced by the 17th and 18th centuries. I'm assuming they're not antiques but are they marked in any way? If the metal is sterling silver it will be marked 925 or 'sterling'. To me they look Victorian in inspiration. I hope this has helped you - Pete.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
Darkanddecadent

Hi, the style is called Filigree. It was popular in Europe in Victorian times.
Darkanddecadent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
TrivialMorose

Ooh! Fresh blood! Hi there, Darkanddecadent, very pleased to meet you! Who are you? What's your life's story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkanddecadent View Post
Are you absolutely sure about your answer? I mean, I know nothing, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't filigree rather a technique than a style?
TrivialMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Darkanddecadent

Hi, I'm sure. Its a decorative style.

About me: i used to be on the old board, maybe 15 years ago. In fact i just threw out a load of print outs of old threads. I was going to scan them for posterity but i assume they are already archived in the web somewhere.

I'm from the UK. I'm 43, female and was Goth in the 90s. Kinda born and raised this way. My parents were 'alternatives' in their generation. No kids myself and not married but in a relationship. I work as a trainer in law enforcement.
Darkanddecadent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
TrivialMorose

Quote:
Hi, I'm sure. Its a decorative style.
Swell. I'll take your expert's word for it.

Quote:
i used to be on the old board, maybe 15 years ago.
Wow, an ancient one from before recorded history! Very nice. And you even replied to me... I feel so alive right now!

Quote:
i just threw out a load of print outs of old threads. I was going to scan them for posterity but i assume they are already archived in the web somewhere.
'tis a tragedy. If I understand correctly you mean the board that preceded the current one. The current forum goes back to somewhere around 04-03, or something like that... And even in those early years, there happened some big purge of threads, maybe... I might've imagined that part... I'm very good at creating false memories... but anyway,

I may be wrong, again, but from my short foray into the old GNet through the Wayback Machine, it seems to me the old forum was never archived, and in my experience the Wayback Machine is the largest internet archive and I've never had extra luck with any other similar service...
If somebody knows better, they can point out my foolishness and throw a link?

So, yeah. Sad that you trashed them. Would have been interesting. But then again, if they reminded you of this place, and if you are here to stay, a warm body is worth more than all the old threads in the world. Welcome very much. Right now I'm the only one haunting this sorry graveyard, haha, and I'm at least slightly mad........
TrivialMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
HarryHaller

Quote:
Thank you, all I could think of was 'baroque'...
HarryHaller is offline   Reply With Quote