Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #26
Rizash

One more rant.... And this is how backwords things are.... people see Native Americans (hate that term) as they see immigrants.... They have some support from the wonderous powers that be in our governing bodies that the average american does not have. I dont really understand anything dealing with this situation, but truly.... we need to modernize, if they get special treatment every race should get equal benefits per person compared to what they have. Of course, this isnt realistic, but hey, we can dream! I just dont understand why people assume things are so great for white americans.... To put it mildly.... average rent of a small house in this small city with a poor job market is about $600 a month... average starting wages for a month for one person (new to trade/low end factory jobs) are about $900 a month. The best jobs you can get for high school grad only (swing shift nasty hours heck jobs for the highest pay) are about $12 an hour, so about $1300 a month after taxes.... How the hell can you live off that? Our heating bill from Nov-Feb is an average of $400 a month.... If we dont get a minimum wage increase of a few bucks an hour soon (so the more experienced/more skilled professionals also have leverage for a pay increase) this country is doomed. How is cost of living versus pay where you guys are?
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #27
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizash
Native Americans (hate that term)
Which part of this term do you hate? The "native" part, or the "american" part?

No offense, son, but with all your rants about racism I think you'll find that you're just a bit racist yourself. Except that you're so scared to be, that you shirk from words that one could find "offensive".

Get over it.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #28
Neurosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizash
We have a double standard in education (at the required school level its to the disadvantage to the minorities) and in the job market.... Affirmative action is such a BS ploy to try to make people happy and it is totally unfair. I know people who have been denied jobs or college entry simply because they were white(dont hate me for saying this, please read my entire post).
The only reason people are being denied because they are white, is because of the US government laws. If the colleges had their way, they would not accept the minorities, only to a bare minimum. To avoid major segregation (top schools only have white people, Black colleges will have only minorities), the government has placed laws to have a good amount of different cultures all around.

All races have had their own type of discrimination, in the US who were not white. The Chinese with the construction of the railroads, the Africans who were abused with slavery, the Japanese during World War Two, and Hispanics with the media (in the early times of Hollywood, it was said that Hispanics were not good enough for television unless they had a funny accent. Case in point: Ricky Ricardo from I Love Lucy), all suffered discrimination.

I'm not hating you for this. I too am a minority in the US. I am Hispanic. My parents immigrated from the Dominican Republic, although my features are that most similar to a person from Spain. I wouldn't want to be denied because of my race either, and I can see that with the whites. But, like I said, if it were up to the universities, they would have mostly whites, and not an even establishment of all races.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #29
Rizash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurosis
The only reason people are being denied because they are white, is because of the US government laws. If the colleges had their way, they would not accept the minorities, only to a bare minimum. To avoid major segregation (top schools only have white people, Black colleges will have only minorities), the government has placed laws to have a good amount of different cultures all around.

All races have had their own type of discrimination, in the US who were not white. The Chinese with the construction of the railroads, the Africans who were abused with slavery, the Japanese during World War Two, and Hispanics with the media (in the early times of Hollywood, it was said that Hispanics were not good enough for television unless they had a funny accent. Case in point: Ricky Ricardo from I Love Lucy), all suffered discrimination.

I'm not hating you for this. I too am a minority in the US. I am Hispanic. My parents immigrated from the Dominican Republic, although my features are that most similar to a person from Spain. I wouldn't want to be denied because of my race either, and I can see that with the whites. But, like I said, if it were up to the universities, they would have mostly whites, and not an even establishment of all races.

--Neurosis
I'm curious what makes you think top colleges would be mainly white? I've known a lot of immigrants who were one hell of a lot smarter than the average "born and raised" Amarican..... Its just stupid that we have laws to "quick fix" things instead of facing facts... school entry should be based on effort and potential to succeed.... Those factors should be evenly spread in any race....(in fact minorities should have an advantage since they often do work harder just to prove a point). But why make it so that in a county with .1 % blacks you need to have 2% black college attendance? This type of stuff is what upsets me... Affirmative action *IS* discrimination.....
Old 12-01-2006, 11:48 PM   #30
Rizash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Which part of this term do you hate? The "native" part, or the "american" part?

No offense, son, but with all your rants about racism I think you'll find that you're just a bit racist yourself. Except that you're so scared to be, that you shirk from words that one could find "offensive".

Get over it.
Native American.... define it for me? I'm a native of america, am I not? Several branches of my family go back to the mayflower.... How many generations does my family have to be here before we're native to the only country we've ever known?
They were here first, and in many aspects they are amazing people. They did not deserve the crap that OUR greed brought them, but those that choose to assimilate into our culture (admittedly they dont have much choice) should be part of our culture, not bash it. That being said... they were here many generations longer than us... but how does that apply to us? If my ancestors were pesants or ANYONE who lived a life of less than freedom... that should not influence my life. History repeats its self too often. The things we see now have always happened. Laws to make things "look" more fair to those who feel wronged will only make everyone else feel cheated.

I have ancestors that were known to help the underground railroad, and one of my ancestors was engaged to (not the proper term, but oh well) a native american chief.... He died just before they were going to get married. Weird how fate works.
Again as in the other 2 posts... do not judge me for my views.... my views are of equality at a personal level.... you cannot have equality at a government level unless you have it at a personal level too.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #31
Rizash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySlater
"Native" is fine, "American" is not. There's a reason we have tribal law. There's a reason we maintain our tribal/aboriginal names. We aren't Indian, either. We are not from India. Being misnamed by a European not once- but twice (Indian first then Native American...) is a slap in the face. You can choose what to call yourself, you can't choose what someone else will answer to.
I wish that were true... NOW instead of being classified as "where you're from" (French English German "Indian" as it were... they call you "white" "black" we've just shifted from one form of verbal abuse to another.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #32
Rizash

Good point... and arguing racism is like arguing religion... some people are just born into that rut.... and cant see their way out.... I'm just sick of hearing about it... the media makes me sick. Instead of putting a positive spin on things they bring up "how much will michael richards be fined" etc... etc... etc.. its like... GROW UP.... words are words and people say stupid things. I've been insulted just as harshly and I sure as hell dont care what people say... an appology is all you should need.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #33
Neurosis

Here is something more about Racial topics for you:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=515961

Tell me your ideas. I do think that if there is a "black" (which would mean people with "colored" skin rather than they themselves are African-American), why can't there be a white? (which would then mean to be a controversy against the "blacks", not African-American, but for "white" skin)

--Natalia
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #34
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Any merit proscribed to someone based on race alone is not merit. It's a crutch.
Whatever gets me to college.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:34 AM   #35
LostAndCrazy

Quote:
Also, bat your eyes and show some leg, say something seductive in Spanish..
I tried that once with disastrous results. =(
LostAndCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #36
Godslayer Jillian

What I said previously sounds like I couldn't get to college without the minority card.
Now, of course I didn't enter just enter college thanks to my ethnicity, but I do have to thank I am Hispanic, or I would not have gotten the Hispaic Scholar's recognition.
It has given me more than the NSHSS, and am quite proud of it, regardless of the restricting condition of racial background that stops most people from applying to it.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #37
LostAndCrazy

Quote:
OOooooo! Oooooo! Storytime!!!!!!!!!
Noooo, Its too embarrassing.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #38
LostAndCrazy

*Goes off and jumps in a lake, where he rests forever in a watery grave, so ending all knowledge of the said secret.*
Old 12-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #39
LostAndCrazy

*speaks from beyond the grave in a distant, disconnected voice*

I will come back to haunt you, woman! Beware! *cackles in an evil fashion*
Old 12-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #40
BLEED REBELION!!!

im mixed so hear alot of crap about it i used to take it to heart it would really hurt me but now ive learned that it doesnt matter. I think minorities still get screwed over for example. i live in baltimore maryland and in the city most of the schools are primariily black the gov just changed the passing grade to 60% for the schools in the city. so even if you do manage to graduate from one of the high schools you still wont be on the same levle as those that go to suburban schools ( mostly white) your diploma wont be worth shit . I go to a charter school its all about political action and all that jazz. at my school you have to have like an 80% average to pass and it just pisses me off when the stansdards are lowered as if your saying its okay to have a shitty education where theres 30^ kids in a class where there arnt enough books and ppl sell drugs and theres lead in the water.

Affermitave action is needed but i think it should be a class thing instead of race. Because now adays your any one can be poor doesnt matter if your black white hispanic asian or whatever sure there are afew ppl that may be racist and really just need to be bitch slapped , but i think the average person has enough good sence to treat ppl kindly no matter there race.
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #41
BLEED REBELION!!!

imm sooooo sorry for all the typos i just read it . it looks like it was typed by a mentally disabled chimp.

please dont flame me.
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #42
om3gag0th666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEED REBELION!!!
im mixed so hear alot of crap about it i used to take it to heart it would really hurt me but now ive learned that it doesnt matter. I think minorities still get screwed over for example. i live in baltimore maryland and in the city most of the schools are primariily black the gov just changed the passing grade to 60% for the schools in the city. so even if you do manage to graduate from one of the high schools you still wont be on the same levle as those that go to suburban schools ( mostly white) your diploma wont be worth shit . I go to a charter school its all about political action and all that jazz. at my school you have to have like an 80% average to pass and it just pisses me off when the stansdards are lowered as if your saying its okay to have a shitty education where theres 30^ kids in a class where there arnt enough books and ppl sell drugs and theres lead in the water.

Affermitave action is needed but i think it should be a class thing instead of race. Because now adays your any one can be poor doesnt matter if your black white hispanic asian or whatever sure there are afew ppl that may be racist and really just need to be bitch slapped , but i think the average person has enough good sence to treat ppl kindly no matter there race.
The average person is racist unfortunately, we only stopped being overtly racist 60 years ago, do you think that we are not covertly racist now? :P
om3gag0th666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #43
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEED REBELION!!!
imm sooooo sorry for all the typos i just read it . it looks like it was typed by a mentally disabled chimp.

please dont flame me.
It's ok, it took me a while to get used to it.
Now it's a habit.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #44
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackButterfly
I'd rather be called "'black" than "African-American".
XD
I agree, by saying african-american, you are assuming 2 things.
They are from africa.
They are from america.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #45
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I say black, I do not think it's racist. I don't what color you are. As long as you aren't an asshole, I'll like you and treat you with the resepct you deserve. Anyone who is the opposite needs a good slapping.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #46
Nicola

I'm black and have no problem being called black. I grew up in the Deep South and I have seen overt,unapologetic,and blunt racism. Imo,I much prefer these people than those who smile in my face and say kumbaya,but go home and spew the most foul stuff imaginable. I have a simple approach to dealing with the issue of racism:

Those who want to see past my race and get to know me,like me, and share Haagen-Daz ice cream,I love with all my heart.

Those who don't?

Well,there are two things in my life that are inevitable:

I'm going to stay black and I'm going to die,so they can kiss my ass. I won't try to change their attitude,sing We Shall Overcome, or teach them about black culture. They can frell off and I hope to never set eyes on them again.

Racism exists.It's alive and well,people are just undercover with it but a racist cannot hide his/her prejudice.It will show itself and once I pick up on it,I avoid such people like the plague. It works both ways. I have friends that are from every race and sexuality. But I've got black friends who consider it the lowest thing in the world to even speak to a white person and refer to me by the poilte term"Oreo",

Affirmative action is both needed and somewhat of an insult. There are some places that will not hire or admit minorities if they can help it.Some places discriminate against women aka The Boys Club mentality.Such places exist and something has to be done about them. On the other hand,affirmative action makes it look like women and minorities require "special assistance" when we do not. But how can you get into the door to show what you've got to offer if the sexist,white sheet posse is guarding the doors? Affirmative action at least assures you get your foot in the door,then it's up to the individual.
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #47
Circle V

My family and I were at an awards ceremony after my soccer season last year. I told my little brother (who was 6 at the time) to say hi (or attack-- probably that one) my friend Dee, who's black...

(Well, half-black, but he looks pretty black to me.)

Anyway, I told my brother to attack him and pointed him out, and my brother asked "Which one? The one with the black hair?"

I thought that was funny.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #48
ArtificialOne

I get discriminated against becasue I'm big and scary looking.. People think I'm a psycho or a serial killer (no matter how I'm dressed).

I also grew up a military brat so I grew up among lots of races and cultures. I don't see why some people are racist. Maybe it's themselves they really hate. I also think it's bad when I'm in an area thats not really diverse and people are really racist; A. How can you hate people that aren't here? and B. How can you hate a culture you know nothing about?

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #49
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
A. How can you hate people that aren't here? and B. How can you hate a culture you know nothing about?
I've often wondered that myself. Being mixed from 2 minorities (Japanese and Black), I've heard it all. Literally. Everyone is a bit racist. Nobody is 100% racism and prejudice free. Nobody. That's just fact. What I can't stand are those who are overtly and unreasonably racist. Despite how much we may dislike a person or a group of people, I don't think there are very many who would disagree with the fact that to make things easier it's best to just go along to get along. You don't have to hug them or take them out for tea. Just be civil and everyone will go home less stressed.

I understand the whole bandwagon/mob mentality and comfort of fitting in, but what I don't get are those people who just hate hate hate and know nothing about the people they profess to loathe. If anything, it just makes them look like some jackass popping off at the mouth.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #50
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_asian_Dax
I've heard it all. Literally.
You rotten lettuce-humping cream-filled kangaroo!!!
Now you can say you've heard it all.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: