Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
AshleyO

Hey yo, Saya.

So I really liked the DKR movie. Which has revitalized my love of the Batman mythos. Thing is, I've never really read much of the comics, only followed BTAS (fucking awesome).

So I've been wanting to look into what would be worth checking out. I want to go back to No Man's Land and finish that, but I also have become very interested in the females of comics and was wondering if Batwoman was worth reading and which one should I look for? Also, did Catwoman ever improve or is she still a lost cause?

I just found out that DC lets you buy digital copies of their comics.

So what would you recommend?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Versus

I wish you could hear her furiously typing a response. She's such a nerd.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Saya

Batwoman is really worth reading. Batwoman: Elegy is still available in trade, which is a compilation of her run in Detective Comics, and that'll cover her origins. That and a #0 issue was all she had aside from cameos before. and they don't really have any bearing on her new series thus far (Although, a good one was The Five Books Of Blood, however you will fall in love with Renee Montoya and DC has her benched indefinitely right now.) After that or if you'd rather jump in, the first arc of her New 52 series is out on trade (Hydrology), and honestly its probably for the best that you're just getting in now because last month was the conclusion of an arc where there was a lot of jumping around in time which makes it confusing in single monthly issues, but now that I have the whole arc and can read it all through it makes so much more sense.

I haven't been reading Catwoman, but they're getting a lady writer on her because they wanted a "female's perspective" and gasp, her zipper is going to be zipped up in that issue, so I'm cautiously optimistic she's going to be treated better, and I think DKR is probably responsible for that, people will probably want something a little more like Hathaway. That said, what I've read of her old continuity I liked, particularly Cooke's artwork, but I haven't read too much. There's a master post on a live journal (http://dr-von-fangirl.live journal.com/42641.html) that pieces together her origin story which is really fantastic since a lot of it is out of print now.

As for other Bat ladies, there's Birds Of Prey, which is okay, but I've been thinking about dropping it lately, and I think it just has to do with not liking team books more than not liking the Birds (I want more character development, you know?).

There's also Huntress. There was an AWESOME mini series by Paul Levitz that was only six issues that started last October, its concluded now and if its not in trade its probably online. I can't tell you how much I loved it and the artist, Marcus To, is really good at drawing a sexy superhero without being exploitative or objectifying, even when she's wearing something that's skimpy. I also liked Huntress: Year One, but I have to explain there were two Huntresses: Helena Bertinelli, daughter of a mafia boss, and Helena Wayne, daughter of Batman and Catwoman on Earth 2 (DC has two continuities, Earth 1 and Earth 2, they had gotten rid of Earth 2 before and decided to bring it back for the reboot). Year One is Bertinelli's origin, but they decided with the reboot to have only one, sooooo don't get too attached.

I hear the current Batgirl is decent enough, and I LOVE Gail Simone, but I'm still too sad that she's not Oracle anymore to read.

But if you're buying online, I think you'd like Cassandra Cain's Batgirl. She was the very first woman of colour to have her own ongoing series at DC (seriously, the second one was only made last year, Voodoo, and its getting cancelled already, Cass had a six year run I do believe). However editorial for some reason hates the previous Batgirls, so her and Stephanie Brown got benched. Morrison seems to like her and wants her to be in Batman Inc, but no word on when. There's a campaign starting (http://casscaincampaign.tumblr.com/) to buy her Batgirl #1 on Comixology on August 31st to show there's still interest in the character and pressure DC to bring her back.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Versus

Too long; didn't read.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Saya

I'll just read it out to you since we're on skype :P
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Versus

What does that even mean? I don't get you.

And can I give some fucking consent? Fuck.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
AshleyO

I read it. I definitely want to look into this when school starts back up.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Murder.Of.Crows

I fell in love with bat woman. Sadly, I went to thee local Barnes and Noble, and they essentially told me to feck off.