Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #4776
Catch

I am excited about going on vacation. It seems like years since going on a real vacation. There is so much to do today and I am spending most of the time just sitting around thinking about stuff. I need to get up and get going so tomorrow I can get up and get going.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #4777
Grausamkeit

So, I've been on a couple of dates and there must be something wrong with the guys that show interest in me. Maybe they don't call back because I'm a total disappointment who doesn't slobber all over them and invite them into my bed on the first date?

*sigh*

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #4778
Saya

Dating is one of the most frustrating things ever. I've had long celibate periods just because I couldn't be assed to weed anyone out or just never got called back.

All my relationships just seem to happen. Which is nice, but they happen with large gaps in between.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #4779
Grausamkeit

Yeah, I've decided to just concentrate on the kids, work and school. I don't even have time for a fucking relationship.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #4780
Versus

I totally coerced her.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #4781
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I totally coerced her.
With your awesome machismo, no doubt!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #4782
Versus

She thinks my thug is charming. Can't complain.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #4783
The Passage

Right now I'm just sort of in an experimental stage of my life. I'm not really sure relationship relationships would really benefit my research.

But... I sometimes do wish I had someone to cuddle at night... -sniffles-

The Passage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #4784
Versus

Buy a tickle-me Elmo.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #4785
The Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Buy a tickle-me Elmo.
LOL! I've heard that they say naughty things to you when you're not looking. "Kill James!" is one rumoured phrase that comes to mind.

Oh wait, that was for Elmo Knows Your name... >.>

The Passage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #4786
MissCheyenne

The Olympic torch came through town yesterday. Massive turn out to see one of the towns wounded war veterans carry it. Nice to see the place I live in the news for something positive for a change.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #4787
ape descendant

Well, I guess it's our turn to burn.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #4788
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Well, I guess it's our turn to burn.
I realize it's a serious situation and whatnot. But I wonder if anyone has ever had the idea to play Cash's "ring of fire" on a stereo looping full blast in an area that was about to burn from a wildfire. I think it would be a nice bit of gallows humor to raise people's spirits a little bit. Hell maybe develop a whole "About to burn" playlist that people could download and play in their homes on the stereo systems they have no hope of saving. Maybe some Ink spots too.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #4789
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I realize it's a serious situation and whatnot. But I wonder if anyone has ever had the idea to play Cash's "ring of fire" on a stereo looping full blast in an area that was about to burn from a wildfire. I think it would be a nice bit of gallows humor to raise people's spirits a little bit. Hell maybe develop a whole "About to burn" playlist that people could download and play in their homes on the stereo systems they have no hope of saving. Maybe some Ink spots too.
Ummmm......WHAT THE FLYING FUCK????

Ren, seriously, dude....just, damn.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #4790
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Ummmm......WHAT THE FLYING FUCK????

Ren, seriously, dude....just, damn.
Well it's not called gallows humor for nothing. The survivors of a sunken British destroyer sang monty python's "Always look on the bright side of life" while they were waiting to be rescued. Beats the hell out of giving into hopelessness.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #4791
ape descendant

Hmm *scratches chin* if it's my place that's next in line, I'll keep that in mind. Might as well have fun with it.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #4792
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Well it's not called gallows humor for nothing. The survivors of a sunken British destroyer sang monty python's "Always look on the bright side of life" while they were waiting to be rescued. Beats the hell out of giving into hopelessness.
Yeah, but they were waiting to be rescued. They weren't about to watch everything they own and have worked and striven for for years go up in flames with no hope of saving it.

It's easy to see it as funny when you speak from the place of privilege of not being in danger of your home burning down.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #4793
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Yeah, but they were waiting to be rescued. They weren't about to watch everything they own and have worked and striven for for years go up in flames with no hope of saving it.

It's easy to see it as funny when you speak from the place of privilege of not being in danger of your home burning down.
I think you underestimate the value of a ship to it's crew.

"Gallows humor (derived from gallows, a platform with a noose used to execute people by hanging; Galgenhumor in German) is a type of humor that still manages to be funny in the face of, and in response to, a hopeless situation.[1] It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable."

How is such humor not appropriate for this situation?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #4794
Fruitbat

Graus The right guy will come along, and if he doesn't well then at least you have a cat to keep you warm at night *wink*

Quote:
Oh Ren hun, I love your sense of humour..... Ahh it's like me laughing at my own father's funeral... totally inappropriate...

But then I'd much rather laugh than cry - better endorphins....

And loads of people share gallow humour - John Cleese talks about it in his new show - about monty python humour and why they were so successful.

Not sure you'd have time to set up the song though - more likely grabbing stuff from the house and fleeing.

Oh I'd play INXS Burn for you...

Ape you be safe hun.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #4795
Grausamkeit

Quote:
I think you underestimate the value of a ship to it's crew.

"Gallows humor (derived from gallows, a platform with a noose used to execute people by hanging; Galgenhumor in German) is a type of humor that still manages to be funny in the face of, and in response to, a hopeless situation.[1] It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable."

How is such humor not appropriate for this situation?
I know what gallows humor is. Don't be pedantic.

My point is that not everyone would appreciate it just because you do. I certainly wouldn't.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #4796
Solumina

Successfully made it across the country with our belongings and found out that I get along rather well with Jake's navy friends, at least the seven who came over to help us unload. The only broken items were the cheap bookcases from freshmen year (no surprise there) and one glass, not too bad considering the journey.

I also found out that I absolutely love Sedona, I'm already planning a trip back, this time for at least a long weekend and when it isn't quite so hot (though with proper clothing it wouldn't have been too bad as it was at least a dry heat).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #4797
Class-Punk

I believe that the purpose of Chili Cheese Fritos is to crumble them into mashed potatoes.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #4798
Catch

I am back from vacation and seriously pondering eating a pbj.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #4799
MissCheyenne

Starting physiotherapy again in August as my hand is getting stuck in a claw position. I know I am going to weep like a child when they touch me. No pain, no gain I guess

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #4800
Fruitbat

Shit.......

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote