Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:05 AM   #76
Kaguyahime

A lot of the Green Day fans scare me. They are like a pack of rabid hyenas. They give the Dave Matthews fans a run for their money. *shivers from fright*
Kaguyahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #77
Kaguyahime

That's good that he isn't one of those salivating overly fervent types.
They're very enthusiastic to say the least.
Kaguyahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #78
Needled

I'm sure there are a few Dave Matthews fans that fit your description, and a few Green Day fans like that as well. Shit, every band has at least a couple of fans of that sort... why single out Green Day and Dave Matthews fans? Personally, I don't think they are any different from fans of any other bands.
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #79
joyslayer

I have actually met a rabid DMB fan. They were like, molesting me on how I could not like them.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
joyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #80
Anubissokar

The members of Greenday... Every single one of them. Deserves a painful.. long... tormenting... and unending death. Something like being skinned alive and having maggots poured all over their flesh,

Then having your blood replaced with a cold salt solution. Brought back to life. And having it done all over again.
Anubissokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #81
Anubissokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguyahime
A lot of the Green Day fans scare me. They are like a pack of rabid hyenas. They give the Dave Matthews fans a run for their money. *shivers from fright*
My girl freind is that way... Its sad isnt it how a Band can brain wash people into worshipping them.
Anubissokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #82
joyslayer

Well, some bands deserve, others, not so much.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 01-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #83
Needled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
DMB fans mostly get high and chill. Sometimes, they dance badly (In St. Louis- they may dance better elsewhere).
lol.. My history teacher is a Dave Matthews fan. He has the keychains, and rocks the DMB belt buckle. Seriously.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #84
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
I'm not really a Green Day fan, but I do like some of their older stuff.
And no, they're not a bad band, but they are by far not the greatest one.
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:26 AM   #85
pitseleh

It's really annoying, every time I mention to someone I'm into punk rock, they almost always say: "Oh, like Green Day and Bad Religion?" Like they are the pinnacle of modern punk rock. Then, when I mention stuff like Fugazi, The Briefs, Hot Snakes, pg.99, or any of the hundreds more obscure bands I like, all I get is a blank stare. It's sad, really. Punk is not just "three chords and the truth" anymore. Things actually have progressed since the late 70's.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #86
joyslayer

Yeah, now with lyrics that sometimes make sense. Pfft, it's not what it used to be.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 01-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #87
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyslayer
Yeah, now with lyrics that sometimes make sense. Pfft, it's not what it used to be.
Then you're not listening to underground punk, by which I mean the music that is made DIY-style on the basis of uncompromising self-expression independent of big label support and genre restrictions. I'm talking about the true spirit of punk, not the label that gets slapped on every band who starts their songs with a shout of "one, two, three, four!" and have ultra-simple song structures with chugging power chords.

True punk is not dead, it just got commodified and streamlined for mainstream consumption, like every other sub-culture. But for every Green Day there will always be a hundred independent bands making songs a hundred times more interesting and relevant and touring relentlessly to get their music out there.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #88
pitseleh

Hehe... yeah, I guess.. Anything to be of assistance to you, beautiful Xnguela. Don't expect too much, though, what with my mood swings and school about to start again, but I'll try.

Now that I've gotten into the swing of things, it fels like I've never been gone at all. Some of these new people aren't so bad after all! Others though... phooey! (Not directed at you, joyslayer.)
Old 01-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #89
JuliaGaltic

Xnguela, just thought you should know that I think you are super fun and adorable!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #90
JuliaGaltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Really? How so? It's the avvy, isn't it?
Lol, yup must be...
Old 01-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #91
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea

Yeah, They're like the Bon Jovi of the Punk scene.
One sec.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

I'm better now.

Pretty damn fun-knee.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #92
Blushing Heliophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
It's really annoying, every time I mention to someone I'm into punk rock, they almost always say: "Oh, like Green Day and Bad Religion?" Like they are the pinnacle of modern punk rock. Then, when I mention stuff like Fugazi, The Briefs, Hot Snakes, pg.99, or any of the hundreds more obscure bands I like, all I get is a blank stare. It's sad, really. Punk is not just "three chords and the truth" anymore. Things actually have progressed since the late 70's.
Here's three chords. Now go start a punk band.

Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 AM   #93
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
Here's three chords. Now go start a punk band.

Thanks! Now all I need are some militant vegan crusties and a rehearsal space to occupy and I'm all set... for a future of touring Germany and Eastern Europe in a battered van, subsisting on lukewarm veggie-stew and dumpster treats. Punk Rock!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #94
Blushing Heliophobe

Squater - go home!

(in case you thought I was making fun of you, I was not. That was from a punk mag in the 70's)
Old 01-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #95
pitseleh

No worries, I didn't think you were making fun of me. Wouldn't mind if you did, though.

So did you mean it was the "here's three chords..." -quote that was from a punk mag? 'Cuz I think I've heard that somewhere before. I wasn't alive in the 70's, though... Well, technically for a few months during late '79, but born in 1980.

Just curious, were those chords by any chance D, A and G? If so, I'd like to trade in the D for an F. Much more sinister.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:30 AM   #96
Blushing Heliophobe

I wasn't alive then, either.

But F is so much harder to play...

Hard to play is SO not punk rock!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #97
Needled

I thought I would post some quotes by Billie Joe.

"A lot of people, when they talk to me, I can't wait for them to shut up...Like, Shut up, you're a moron. I have nothing to say to you, you know? I'm not trying to enhance the conversation, so shut up.''

"Punk rock's dead, and I fucking killed it."

"They sound like Tré choking on a hair ball." (on Slipknot)

"Alternative? Alternative to what? This is as mainstream as it gets!" (on green day's music)

There was actually a specific quote I was looking for, I remember reading it awhile back. It had to do with the whole 3 chord thing. He said something like he compared himself to a talented artist who only uses a few of the many colors off of his palette to create a masterpiece.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #98
joyslayer

"I sound like an englishman impersonating an american who is impersonating an englishman" Said by Billie Joe, lead singer of greenday. I don't know why, I just really like this quote.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #99
Blushing Heliophobe

Totally on a tangent, that happened to me in the tubes a little while back! I apologize in advance to my British net members, but my mister and I sometimes imitate accents for fun between each other. For instance, the Brits in my area never pronounce their 't' unless it's the beginning of a word...like the infamous "'Elo, mis-ress, fancy a shag?" thing. Well, I was riding the tube in London and there's a kid imitating Californians! "Ey, dude, like, les go surfin', like, like, wha-evah! Wha-evah! To-ally."

And then I realized that's what Americans who try to sound British for their bands must sound like to Brits.

Sad, really...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #100
Needled

Yeah I had read that quote about Billie Joe a while back. I think it's quite true.. there are times when he sounds english. Or an englishman impersonating an american impersonating an englishman as he says.