Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: Should I work at Hot Topic?
yes 15 62.50%
no 2 8.33%
i dont care 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
korinna5555

ok guys, i need your help

.......im probably going to have to get a job at hot topic this summer
its the only place that will hire me, i already tried to get a job at petsmart, and they dont like me because i wear black.
the thing about me working at hot topic is...even though the customers are going to end up driving me FUCKING CRAZY, the manager is nice. HE listens to good music. and there isnt a uniform, so i can wear what i want. that would be nice
employees get a 40% discount....which i am supposed to buy WHAT with?! mehhh maybe i can get Erick (the manager) to order some good CDs, so i cant buy them. that would be cool. and whoever's working gets to play whatever CDs they want....heh heh........this could turn out to be interesting....
i need the money...badly. but i dont know if i want to work there

ok im done complaining
so you guys think i should work there or not?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
BlackButterfly

I'll put it this way:

You need a job.

You obviously don't want to change your wardrobe for the sake of one.

You can wear what you want at the one place that will hire you right now.

I'd say there wasn't much of a decision!

Honestly, any other place will drive you fuckin' crazi-ER (saaaayyy, Old Navy? The Gap? the nearest grocery store?) even if you did take the bite and do the wardrobe change to get a better(-paying?) job. I'm not sure about the details--I've never had a "typical teenage job". Also, that discount may come in handy after all--you'll have "first dibs" on Hot Topic's more decent accessories when they first come in!

At least you'll be in an environment dealing with people that you can kind of relate to on some sort of level; even if most ARE "mallgoths"/emo kids, you'll meet the occasional person you can deal with. Also, you'll be in a position where you may even be able to educate the younger ones or at least recommend better things for them, and can half expect a few to listen.

I'd say go for it. You'll learn as you get older that sacrifices have to sometimes be made to get in where you want in the working world (where the "stereotypical goth image" isn't necessarily accepted), but there's always a happy medium.

If I didn't ramble too much, I hope a bit of that helped.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Go for it. They hire top bands to perform for employees every year, and you can use the 40% discount for CDs (they sell Lacuna Coil, so they can't be all bad).

There are worse jobs.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

This sounds bad, but I answered "I don't care" in the poll, just as you shouldn't care.
A job's a job. If you need one, you look for one. If you find one, you apply for it. If you find more than one, you apply to the one that gives you more money.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Tumor

A job's a job.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
MollyMac

Either you want to sacrifices your visual aesthetic for a job you'd prefer, or you keep your visual aesthetic for a job you will just take. Just don't fall into the same boat as a friend of mine did with a similar query... don't sacrifice perdonal independence for aesthetic independence. Is your look so important that you would give up your independence?

For the record- customers would drive you batty anywhere you go. At leats at Hot Topic you wold not have to explain to the crazy cat lady that you aren't a devil worshipper every ten minutes.
MollyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
An Eccentric Cellist

Hmmm... I answered I don't care, it's a job you need money and hey it pays, however much it pays. THough if it doesn't pay as well as it could compared to other places work at another place.

I'm risking sounding like my mother, but you could always just have normal clothing for work and then your Gothy get up for everything else. I've done that. Work is work and play is play I'd keep them rather seperated. You won't be an assumed devil worshipper, and it might pay better(?). But then the customers will drive you insane, like they do your coworkers.
~but~
Who knows maybe the people working there are all pretty cool, I talked to a couple of the employees at my local HT and they were nice, and had good taste.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
Linen

You will dislike (or even hate) something at every job you'll ever have. If it is your only opportunity right now, take it. Just be glad the holidays are over, as retail is horrible that time of year. I worked retail for almost 2 years (in Walgreens photo lab), and while I enjoyed processing photos, I absolutely hated dealing with customers for the most part. People can be so whiny & bitchy, but you probably won't run into as much of it there as I did b/c most of the people I dealt with were over 40 and had nothing better to do than complain about the pharmacy not being open as long as the store was, and why couldn't I go back there and get their prescription for them after hours, even though I'm not a pharmacist? Blech.

Anywho, at least you won't have to wear a stupid bright blue smock with a nametag like I did. I also had to listen to crappy 70s & 80s love ballads 24/7. I'm not talking about the GOOD old music either... I'm talking about the sappy, cheesy stuff that makes you want to stab yourself in the eyeballs. But never fear, Hot Topic has to be a lot better than Walgreens (probably doesn't pay quite as well though, but that might not be an issue for you).
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
korinna5555

thats guys
im applying soon
im gonna work Fridays and Saturdays untill summer
then im gonna work full time

thanks for the help
Old 12-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Go for it. It actually sounds like a good place to work at. If there was a Hot Topic near me I would work there. But I think it sounds like a good job. Plus Hot Topic isn't all THAT bad.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
honeythorn

Sounds far better than my job anyway. I work in a box factory. I stand and make boxes for glassware allllll day. I can wear what I like, but the place is so grubby and dusty that I just wear old plain black jeans and t-shirts. At least you will be able to wear nice things and educate/terrify emos
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
SKot

I voted yes. I am assuming you are quite young still, and this is one of your first jobs. If Hot Topic will hire you, do it. Yeah, it's corporate and you'll still have to deal with corporate policies, but at least you won't have to worry about appearance. And it beats working at the local gas station or McDonald's.

And you CAN find some good things at Hot Topic once in a while, and you'll know right when it comes in. And I assume you can order things as well. Work it while they work you, and you and your employers will both be relatively happy.

--SKot
SKot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
korinna5555

the thing i dont understand is why the people in petsmart wouldnt give me an application. i was wearing black jeans, a black tank top, flip flops, and hardly any makeup. i looked perfectly decent, and they looked at me funny.
isnt that illegal or something?! like....equal job opportunity?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
BlackButterfly

Actually, it is.

If you want to apply, are of legal age to work, and it is openly displayed that they are hiring, you should always receive an application even if they don't intend to hire you based on the way you look (even though that's illegal too, but you can't effectively police the human mind).
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #15
Aude Sapere

First off, money is money, take the job.

Second of all, just show the teeny boppers who think they are cool in there what dressing goth is really all about. Thats what i do whenever i go to the mall. Think of it as an oppertunity to...educate. I ussually laugh at all the people i see in there anyway.

Think of the discount as just an added bonus. I don't buy much in there anymore, but occasionally they have stuff on clearence i like for a good price, and i see some nice corsets from time to time. Maybe there is something in their that your friends may like. Who knows. But don't reject the job just because they give you discounts on stuff you don't like

Lets look at the upside:
1: the manager's cool, its hard to find a reasonable boss
2: income
3: dress however you like
4: discounts, however useless to you as they are
5: pet stores smell, and are depressing (does Petsmart sell animals, or just animal stuff? Either way, it breaks my heart whenever i walk into a pet store, but thats just me. Noisy enviornment, having people poke at you all day long, dirty cages, sharing a cramped space...not to mention, if you arn't cute enough, they kill you after a certain amount of time)
6: You get to bring in your own music, do you not? Atleast after a certain point of time...
7: You get to show off your uber cool style, and show all those pre-teens that they are wrong. I would love that, and would take pride in my own creativity.
8: Lets face it, you deal with shitty people nomatter where you work, why if Hot Topic any different?

Yeah, pets are cute, but if your co-workers are giving you shit when you were in jeans and a black t-shirt, imagine how hostile they will be later on.
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 PM   #16
korinna5555

i seriously love you, Aude Sapere
excellent points

i will be applying tomorrow, hopefully
Old 01-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #17
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
I am sure you will find alot to laugh your ass off about in that place as well...its like watching one of those idiot shows and getting payed for it. I am looking forward to insider stories you will have to tell about Hot Topic...have fun.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #18
Mick Ignis

Hot Topic would let you dress however you want, they pay well, give good benefits, and occasionally carry cool things. They also reimburse you for concerts, if you write a fashion report for them.

I say go for it.
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #19
PersephoneX

Its a job...
and the perks are better than mine...and for the record, i have a real "grown-up" job...

SO GO FOR IT.
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #20
darkness-creepshow

black jeans arn't just black jeans..there nice and us guys dont where dresses so its not just casual like you say. Although we can where leather kilts that go down to your shoes/boots (seen them)..although other than that comon, pants are what we where and they are cool! ...
darkness-creepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #21
Circle V

I have a friend who works at Hot Topic. She is very much a (real) rivethead, and certainly not the sort that one might expect to find Hot Topic fascinating. She works at a larger store in Seattle, and tells me that the bigger stores actually carry legitimate gothic clothing, music, and accessories.

What's good enough for her is good enough for me. And you.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #22
Delicate_Torture

Oh for the Goddess' sake.

It's a job. Grow up.

It isn't meant to fulfill your every desire. It is meant to supply you with money so that you can buy food, pay rent and bills, buy clothes and then if you are lucky you might have something left over to go out and play around with.

There is good and bad to every job that exists. I'm a nurse... I get to work the shifts that I want to work, I get paid a fair wage, I get any pathology and tests that I might need supplied for me for free... I also get to wipe the bums of old people, I get to explain to people what it means when the doctor tells them they are going to die, I get to watch them and hold their hand as they are dying and I get to wash their dead bodies once they have died.

Good and bad. It exists everywhere.