Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:57 AM   #26
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Brutally forcing people into an ideal doesn't confine itself into religions.
How much better were the oppression and deaths in behalf of the Communist block based in humanistic beliefs?
How much holier was our little friend Chairman Mao than Pope Sixtus IV?
Excellent point, but one that sadly leaves us with the conclusion that we as a species are self-loathing, and that such behavior is innate.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #27
om3gag0th666

Naw, it's just that we are competitive. If we can harness that nature to a positive means, all humans prevail.
om3gag0th666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #28
emeraldlonewoulf

I don't think it is self-loathing, it is selfishness. It isn't necessarily because the said entity hates everyone else, it is because they look out for number one ahead of all else. In this perspective, one starts to regard anything that isn't paying attention and obeisance to it means it as a direct affront, or insult. The said entity, in being wrapped up in itself, begins to consider anything outside its own system of thought wrong, regardless of the reality of the situation. It acts accordingly, prompting genuine attack, and then the hatred. There is always that emphasis on difference, or separation, first. Our hatred is directed at the "other", rather than the "self", no matter how close the parties' resemblance may be.

Unfortunately all this stems from something good, which is survival instinct. It all comes down to where the line is drawn. How far is too far, how far is a genuine threat? How far is difference tolerable before it starts to change the area in which we feel safe? Add to this "sheeple" syndrome, where one follows another because it is their nature to trust another's judgment over their own, and we have a species that forms lynch mobs, or commits genocide, or engages in gang warfare.

It all stems from lack of objective consideration of other viewponts, greed for power, and selfishness. If we can consider other ideas, concede power over others, and put the needs of others first, while maintaining a confident strength in our own worth, show enough concern to defend others against injustice, while at the same time allowing justice to be done, and learning forgiveness, we could overcome our failings. But there is no way on earth we can all do that, all of the time. Not even some of us most of the time. these are things we fail in every day.

I guess what I mean is that our failings can get magnified, feeding off of themselves, and that's what leads to this stuff. Enough of my philosophical ramblings. I really need to learn how to say what i mean with fewer words!

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #29
Godslayer Jillian

Interistingly enough, I agree with both three of those ideas. First of all, humans are intrinsically selfish. But that comes from our competitive nature.
But we cannot help but see that humans have become self-loathing. Different than the other two, self-loathoing isn't natural, but it's a part of us now.
It became a part of us with religion, when we began to think that we are not worthy of anything, and it's a part of us now with society, that we begin to think we are going down as a species.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #30
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
And still that cannot be but mere speculation.
It may be speculation, but people have studied the Bible in a very detailed manner and have derived from its texts that he was born around September and October.

And the reason so many Christian holidays coincide with Pagan holidays is because Constantine needed to make the transition from Paganism to Christianity easier on his people. Had he not done so, the spread of Christianity would have taken more time.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:30 AM   #31
Kassindrya

And also to prevent people from celebrating the christian holidays AND the pagan holidays.
Kassindrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #32
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
I could see Constantine using the old holidays as a bridge. One half of the empire sinks below and you need something to unify the other part.

Like GodslayerJillian stated, I also believe people are also selfish because it supports survival. If someone else has food and I am starving, I will go after that food for my own survival. I think that involves basic instinct, the id, whatever you wish to call it. Capitalism thrives on the idea of mutual benefit.

For me, Christmas as a holiday, I like the blinking lights and gathering with my family. I like giving them things, time, love, and more, but it isn't confined to a single month. Admittedly, I am a materialistic bastard. I love getting gifts and trying to figure out what is inside the packages.

Ah traditions. If I ever have children, I'll tell them that a small purple alien named Zignuts delivers gifts. And why do we have trees? Well, even aliens need ruffage and their daily greens. >_>
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #33
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I love Christmas trees. They're one of my favourite parts of the holiday. But it has to be a real tree, or it just sucks.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote