Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Ben Lahnger

Mom gives birth while driving

Mom gives birth while driving

SOURCE

BEMIDJI, MN -- A Minnesota mother has given birth to a baby boy while driving herself to the hospital, with the newborn's father steering the car from the passenger's seat.

The Pioneer of Bemidji says 29-year-old Amanda McBride was rushing to the hospital Wednesday when suddenly her water broke and the baby "just slid out."

McBride says she was feeling labor pains at work, so she drove to pick up the baby's father and headed for the hospital. The father, 33-year-old Joseph Phillips, did not drive because he has a history of seizures.

Phillips told the newspaper that McBride yelled at him to take the wheel as she cradled the 8 pound baby boy, Joseph Dominick Phillips.

Officials at North Country Regional Hospital say they were stunned to learn the expectant mother was driving.

Ben - And you thought you had a rough day? I guess I'll think about her next time before making that post in whining.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Solumina

That must have been the fastest delivery ever, babies don't usually just pop out like that
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
triggerhappi26

Hey teens make babies in the back seat all the time why not give birth to it in the front.
triggerhappi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
d0p3y

Wow, now thats an accomplisment.

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
JCC

At first I read this as 'Man gives birth while driving'. Now that would've been something.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
ape descendant

I'm not sure how to feel about that... it is pretty bad ass to be able to drive and give birth to a child at the same time. Damn... that chick is cool.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

Does anyone else think it's really irresponsible to drive while in labor?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Despanan

I doubt she planned it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Thusboll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
That must have been the fastest delivery ever, babies don't usually just pop out like that
Or the slowest driver
Thusboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
I doubt she planned it that way.
That's why I see it as irresponsible.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
Ben Lahnger

Ophelia, since neither she or nobody else expected this baby to come so quickly after the labor pains got serious, what are you suggesting she should have done to be "responsible"?

When she started feeling the labor pains should she just have laid down on the spot at work and insisted her coworkers stand around and wait to help deliver the baby, whenever it might come?

Are you suggesting that you know (without any further insight than what the article provides) what her transportation alternatives were?

Should all pregnant women just be required to live within a block of the hospital? (Yes, I'm being ridiculously exaggerated in my response on purpose.)

What exactly do you think you know about her that the rest of us don't?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

Ambulance?
Cab?
Someone from work who is responsible?

It's just not safe to drive while in labor. She could have killed everyone in the car plus people in other cars.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
Ben Lahnger

So most women are in labor for hours, sometimes even feel false labor pains, before the matter gets serious. My SO's daughter went to the hospital 3 times, getting sent back home by her doctor two times because the pains weren't close enough together and she wasn't dialated enough.

So, understanding that this was a highly unusual situation in regards to the speed that her labor progressed. I'm just thinking it's unreasonable to say that when she started feeling pains and decided it was time to leave her job that she should have called an ambulance. I don't think she's the only woman who's driven a car under those circumstances. And, I watch for weird or unusual headlines (as you can tell by this and other threads I've started in this section) and I can honestly say I've never heard of a woman having a car accident because she was driving while in labor.

Now, since you've expressed so much concern over this overblown issue, I expect to see you campaigning against people who text message while driving. And while we're at it, how about campaigning against making phone calls while driving. Insurance company studies show it's as distracting to a driver's attention as having a couple of children arguing in the back seat. And hey, what about that? Should we let people drive while they have children arguing in the back seat?

Get a grip.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
Saya

Its the new MADD campaign!

Yeah, an ambulance really isn`t necessary unless you`re expecting complications, it would`ve been a waste of resources. Some women are in immense pain right away, others are perfectly fine once they realize labor has started. And it usually takes hours, its pretty unusual.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
So most women are in labor for hours, sometimes even feel false labor pains, before the matter gets serious. My SO's daughter went to the hospital 3 times, getting sent back home by her doctor two times because the pains weren't close enough together and she wasn't dialated enough.

So, understanding that this was a highly unusual situation in regards to the speed that her labor progressed. I'm just thinking it's unreasonable to say that when she started feeling pains and decided it was time to leave her job that she should have called an ambulance. I don't think she's the only woman who's driven a car under those circumstances. And, I watch for weird or unusual headlines (as you can tell by this and other threads I've started in this section) and I can honestly say I've never heard of a woman having a car accident because she was driving while in labor.

Now, since you've expressed so much concern over this overblown issue, I expect to see you campaigning against people who text message while driving. And while we're at it, how about campaigning against making phone calls while driving. Insurance company studies show it's as distracting to a driver's attention as having a couple of children arguing in the back seat. And hey, what about that? Should we let people drive while they have children arguing in the back seat?

Get a grip.
I made two posts about it, bro, I'm not sure you can call that expressing "so much concern."

I know it's really popular here at gothic.net to be anti-Ophelia, but at least do it when I've done something that warrants it.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
Ben Lahnger

I'm not EVER worried about hanging with the popular kids here, and don't have an anti-Ophilia bias.

I just called bullshit. You said you saw it as irresponsible. You were wrong and I called you on it. Don't cry ... just take it like a man, bro.

And technically, you made 3 posts about it.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #17
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I'm not EVER worried about hanging with the popular kids here, and don't have an anti-Ophilia bias.

I just called bullshit. You said you saw it as irresponsible. You were wrong and I called you on it. Don't cry ... just take it like a man, bro.

And technically, you made 3 posts about it.
You didn't "call bullshit" because I'm not wrong.

It's irresponsible to drive impaired. Be it by not wearing your glasses, by being drunk, or by being in extreme pain.

In fact, she had to have her husband take the wheel at one point, because she couldn't drive the car. What other evidence would one need?

She got in her car to go to the hospital because she knew having a baby was imminent. It doesn't matter if she knew how quickly the birth would progress or not--because either way she would be impaired.

This is why pregnant women plan out their transport to the hospital when they are that close to giving birth.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
KontanKarite

Ophelia has a point.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
Ben Lahnger

I would hardly call driving while pregnant the equivalent of driving "impaired." And people in extreme pain drive to the hospital all the time because of necessity and because events surprise them in a way that cannot be planned for.

She had her husband take the wheel because the baby came out and she had to cradle it. The pain did not (according to the news report) appear to impair her driving ability enough to warrant your opinion. As others here have concurred, it was a highly unusual circumstance in that the baby came so quickly.

Based upon your opinion, both people who are in their 9th month of pregnancy and people who are in a significant amount of pain should not get in a car and drive, let alone drive themselves to medical treatment.

You're wrong.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
FlowerGirl

Wow. Imagine how much blood she lost in the car.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirl View Post
Wow. Imagine how much blood she lost in the car.
Ugh, the afterbirth must have been everywhere. I bet they can't get that lovely smell of amniotic waste and placenta out of the car.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote