Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #76
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickmotherfucker
The ones that are true goths worship satan and do voodoo. 99% of the people are just metal.
I refuse to get into the argument that goth has nothing to do with religion.

However, as far as I am aware, Devil Worshiping and Voodoo are two entirely different belief systems. Voodoo is mostly practiced in Haiti, whereas Devil Worshipers have the same basic beliefs as Christians, but choose to follow the devil. They are not compatible.

Unless you're confusing Voodoo with Wiccan.

Edit: And Wiccan is also entirely separate from Devil Worship, so that was possibly a moot point.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #77
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
I refuse to get into the argument that goth has nothing to do with religion.

However, as far as I am aware, Devil Worshiping and Voodoo are two entirely different belief systems. Voodoo is mostly practiced in Haiti, whereas Devil Worshipers have the same basic beliefs as Christians, but choose to follow the devil. They are not compatible.

Unless you're confusing Voodoo with Wiccan.

Edit: And Wiccan is also entirely separate from Devil Worship, so that was possibly a moot point.
I don't think anyone would confuse Wicca with Voodoo.... Then again, he did confuse Voodoo with Satanism, so I guess I'm being too optimistic here. I'm pretty sure he just has no clue what he's talking about, and all this is coming out his ass.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #78
DruLaCroix

Well Voodoo and Wicca have ecclectisim in common. But, being ripped from their homes and transplanted in Haiti left Africans with little else to do than to take bits and pieces from other religions (including Christianity) to keep what they remembered of their indigenous faith alive. That's not to say that there aren't branches that are as close to authetic as possible. As for Wiccans, well... I'd rather not go there.
DruLaCroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #79
PortraitOfSanity

In other words..... Wicca and Voodoo have nothing in common... Ecclecticism is all perspective, so you really can't use that to objectively compare two things.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #80
DruLaCroix

Oh, I don't mean to imply that they should be compared. They are completely separate entities. I was just saying that they did have something in common, but that doesn't mean they are similiar in the slightest.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #81
Draconysius

I only wish the title of this thread were literal. At least his career's dead now. Um, favorite songs let's see... The silence at the end of each song, because that dreck isn't worthy to vomit on, no matter how old it is or how much "better" the old shit is, it's still just shit.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #82
Draconysius

Wicca is the mallgoth of all religion, stealing all of its beliefs from Neo-Paganism and charging out the ass for it. All ancient religions (even Christianity, as much as they'd like to think otherwise) practiced ritual magic. That's where the connection lies.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #83
PortraitOfSanity

After all, the whole point of the religion was to sell books...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #84
Magila

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
How do you define 'failure'? I have difficulty comprehending how any accepted definition of that word applies to an exceedingly wealthy, insanely famous individual who consistently bangs hot women.
Thanks for proving that i fail at English, i only understood " insanely famous ".
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #85
DruLaCroix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Wicca is the mallgoth of all religion, stealing all of its beliefs from Neo-Paganism and charging out the ass for it. All ancient religions (even Christianity, as much as they'd like to think otherwise) practiced ritual magic. That's where the connection lies.
That is probably the best quote ever. And how odd it is, at least when examining contemporary Christianity, that the very same religion that frowns upon witchcraft had some very elaborate forms of ceremonial and high magic, including necromancy.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #86
sickmotherfucker

this shit is hilarious
sickmotherfucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #87
Black Leilia

Manson just goes with the mainstream "outcasts" if that makes any sense, and rides those fads and makes money off of them. So, this whole "goth" thing is over and now it's "emo" therefore his music is too. He's kinda smart that way... of course I liked his older music. Now I know that things are different so I don't care, I just listen to his older stuff. Manson's not this unique singer but someone who caters to the masses, letting them think that they're anti-mainstream and laughing at them the whole time knowing they are mainstream, and making tons of money off of them in the process. I have nothing against Manson, like I said, I think he's smart.

Oh but actually... I do like that one song, I think it's the If I were you vampire, or something along those lines... I like a lot of music though. There isn't much I don't like.
Black Leilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #88
IsolatedReptile

I never realized that his music was emo. Especially his new music. Seems to me people are throwing the word Emo around like word Gay used to. As though it were synonymous with lame?
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #89
meezerosity

I saw him live, put on a good show but I'm not that in to his music. Observing the people attending was hilarious. I Only went because my bf at the time drug me to go see Slayer since for some odd reason they were touring together.
meezerosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #90
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
I never realized that his music was emo. Especially his new music. Seems to me people are throwing the word Emo around like word Gay used to. As though it were synonymous with lame?
I think Manson's classified as "shock rock" because he's really more of a performance artist than a musician (whether he's good at it or not is up for debate).
Old 08-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #91
Das Kommandant Mog

Location: Lurking in the remains of the Reich Imperial Chancellory
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
I think Manson's classified as "shock rock" because he's really more of a performance artist than a musician (whether he's good at it or not is up for debate).
That's what I always classified him as. He's about rattling the bars of society's cage, and getting them to stick their faces out and bite him. He wants a response, so he looks extreme, and sings extreme, and appeals to the people who like that sort of thing. But, that's just the opinion I've formed.

I admire his ability to take all the shit he gets from society in stride, and keep doing what he's doing. It's not like he isn't asking for it, though. But, I've never considered his music to be anything goth.

I kinda like some of his makeup though...and to whoever said he was a failure...mmkay you obviously are letting your personal opinion, and the whole "hate Manson 'cause he gives TRUE goths a bad name" thing influence, if not completely encompass, your opinion of Manson. On a cruder note, he had Dita von Tease in the ass. If that's failure than I really wonder what success is.
Das Kommandant Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #92
onyxprop

Quote:
God, when I read the title I thought Marilyn Manson died
We are sad to inform the public that singer/song writer Marilyn Manson passed away in his bed at 3AM, Aug 11, 2008...
onyxprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #93
IsolatedReptile

I agree with the shock rock statements. He has always tried to stay outside of the box and scare people into thinking he's some sort of deviant.

I've wondered if his entire life is orchestrated around trying to be so shocking, like some sort of grand joke on everyone else at his expense. It's a wasted life, but if the day he died there was a written letter saying, "Fooled you, I was as normal as any of you," I think I'd be more impressed by his work.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #94
Zakyath

well, as far as I know, after Lest We Forget, he tried to live a "normal life". But he didn't like it, so Brain decided to get back to music and became Marilyn Manson again.

and I think his "older music" is coming back again, nwo that Twiggy's back. We'll see in december when the next album comes out.
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #95
x-deviant-x

I'm a manson fan. And I'm too old to give a shit whether it's cool to like him or not. I don't like all of his stuff, but he has some compelling lyrics. I think his first cd was shit, and I wasn't too impressed with his 2nd. Though I'd never even heard of him until some point between Antichrist and Mechanical Animals.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #96
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-deviant-x
I'm a manson fan. And I'm too old to give a shit whether it's cool to like him or not. I don't like all of his stuff, but he has some compelling lyrics. I think his first cd was shit, and I wasn't too impressed with his 2nd. Though I'd never even heard of him until some point between Antichrist and Mechanical Animals.
It seemed to me he wasn't really worth listening to until some point between Mechanical Animals and Antichrist Superstar.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 AM   #97
Carin Broken

Manson is great person... deep, smart, romantic, crazy))) he's amazing & i love him! He's not like others & this's soo important, also i've heard that he loves Goth more then someone else soo... respect to him))
Carin Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:06 AM   #98
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carin Broken
Manson is great person... deep, smart, romantic, crazy))) he's amazing & i love him! He's not like others & this's soo important, also i've heard that he loves Goth more then someone else soo... respect to him))
What's that? You want to be strangled? Well... if you insist...
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:22 AM   #99
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carin Broken
Who the fuck are you, and why did you have to go and necro a bunch of Manson threads?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #100
JCC

It's Manson's birthday today, isn't it?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote