Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Saphyra Runa

Exclamation Oh no! Fat Goth people.

That is it. Enough. What the hell? Why this prejudice against overweight people here lately? What, they are only allowed to find their niche in the subculture as long as they follow the fashion rules of Goth? Are you all so brainwashed by the mainstream media that we all must be stick thin to be able to wear anything?

Quote:
But in the past years there has been a severe molestation of goth which is growing worse and worse. Many morbidly obese people are becoming "goth" because they hate their self appearance and want to hide themselves behind that dark eyeliner and black clothes.
Sarcasm my arse. Back peddling because Gosh someone might not like me after being questioned about it just doesn't fly. You made the statement for a reason what ever your reason may be. Get a back bone and stand by your opinion.

Quote:
No more disturbing than fat goth girls in leggings and ill-fitting corsets.
Quote:
Over doing it is a waste of time and can be a health hazard (There was a fat chick passed out in front of wal-mart because she decided to dress up in all her shit and it was the end of July) and then you just end up looking stupid.
Apparently we "fat" people just don't get it.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Anguelon

First, it was never part of the goth culture to be thin. But you go girl!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Saphyra Runa

ARGHHH! Damn the buttons and damn the edit time! I wasn't finished!!!!!!

I know that it isn't about the Goth culture to be thin, but reading the crap some pretentious teenagers have been spewing lately sure makes it seem that way.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
honeythorn

At 230 lbs I am hearing you Saphyra. It pisses me off too .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyra Runa
That is it. Enough. What the hell? Why this prejudice against overweight people here lately? What, they are only allowed to find their niche in the subculture as long as they follow the fashion rules of Goth? Are you all so brainwashed by the mainstream media that we all must be stick thin to be able to wear anything?
It is one thing to be like "OMG you're a size 10 and 5'9? FATASS!" People who think anyone over a size 6 is fat are stupid.

That said, as a full figured woman in the goth subculture, I have seen many overweight to morbidly obese woman who are basically embarrassing themselves by squeezing into too-small PVC tops, or corsets that are clearly poor quality and straining against their shape, or other poor wardrobe choices. Yet these women feel entitled to acceptance because they think the goth scene won't judge them and will somehow think they're sexy.

Ultimately the bottom line is, dress for your size, whatever that is. A skinny person in too-small clothing looks stupid too. But I think goth clothing, and particularly fetish clothing can be very unforgiving and it is painful to see people walking around with fat rolls hanging out or seams about to burst thinking they look hot. As I said, I am curvy myself and yet I somehow have the self awareness to know that pouring myself into a PVC minidress is not going to be a flattering look.

I think the point is more about these women dressing badly and looking ridiculous than their size. Granted there are people who ascribe to a narrow definition of beauty where super-skinny is the only way to be beautiful, and that's stupid. But bigger woman who dress badly in the scene embarrass me, because they make it seem like all goth woman are fat slobs, and so when I say I'm curvy people automatically assume I'm like that. It gives woman who are *actually* curvy and dress well a bad name.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Saphyra Runa

You wear your 230 far better than I! I would have never guessed. You win! Please pick a prize.

Yours must have settled in all the right places. Mine just ended up in my belly and butt.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
killer_asian_Dax

Dearest Lucretia has just pinpointed why I dislike fat/obses people. Most (not all, but most) fat/obese women don't know how to dress their size and think they can still shop in the same stores they did when they were 13 and their metabolism was still bullet quick. I love and admire big women who can dress. I partially even envy them for the confidence with which they carry themselves. (I'm still working up to that level of confidence myself) Unfortunately most fat/obese women (not restricted to the goth scene only, but in most scenes) just don't get that they are NOT the size they were in grade school and hence CANNOT fit into the same size clothes. It's, overall, a huge embarrassment to anyone of a "curvy" or "voluptuous" type who can dress themselves well. (There are many other factors tying into my dislike of vastly overweight people, but those don't pertain to the topic at hand. So I will leave them out.)

Love the skin you're in ladies!

(I got that from some body wash advert.)

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
delicti

Well, as a hetero man (when I'm not doing the aliens <- other thread) I can say that hip bones are pretty much a turn off. Nobody likes to have sex turn into an anatomy class on the human skeleton.

There are some weights that are simply unattractive to me, too. I'm sorry, but if you're large in a way that is incredibly unhealthy, you probably have worse things to worry about than whether or not I'll check you out.

As long as you dress your size and wear flattering clothes, there is no reason that most women can't look attractive in goth attire, even if they are more curvy than most.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
Well, as a hetero man (when I'm not doing the aliens <- other thread) I can say that hip bones are pretty much a turn off. Nobody likes to have sex turn into an anatomy class on the human skeleton.

There are some weights that are simply unattractive to me, too. I'm sorry, but if you're large in a way that is incredibly unhealthy, you probably have worse things to worry about than whether or not I'll check you out.

As long as you dress your size and wear flattering clothes, there is no reason that most women can't look attractive in goth attire, even if they are more curvy than most.
Right on. It ain't what you weigh, it's how you weigh it up when you're pciking your attire. All shapes and sizes will find that some things just don't suit them.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
Saphyra Runa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucretia
It is one thing to be like "OMG you're a size 10 and 5'9? FATASS!" People who think anyone over a size 6 is fat are stupid.

That said, as a full figured woman in the goth subculture, I have seen many overweight to morbidly obese woman who are basically embarrassing themselves by squeezing into too-small PVC tops, or corsets that are clearly poor quality and straining against their shape, or other poor wardrobe choices. Yet these women feel entitled to acceptance because they think the goth scene won't judge them and will somehow think they're sexy.

Ultimately the bottom line is, dress for your size, whatever that is. A skinny person in too-small clothing looks stupid too. But I think goth clothing, and particularly fetish clothing can be very unforgiving and it is painful to see people walking around with fat rolls hanging out or seams about to burst thinking they look hot. As I said, I am curvy myself and yet I somehow have the self awareness to know that pouring myself into a PVC minidress is not going to be a flattering look.

I think the point is more about these women dressing badly and looking ridiculous than their size. Granted there are people who ascribe to a narrow definition of beauty where super-skinny is the only way to be beautiful, and that's stupid. But bigger woman who dress badly in the scene embarrass me, because they make it seem like all goth woman are fat slobs, and so when I say I'm curvy people automatically assume I'm like that. It gives woman who are *actually* curvy and dress well a bad name.
Sad world that we judge people by what they wear and how they wear it.

Every day when we get up, no matter who we are or what culture or subculture or whatever we belong too...we put on a costume. It defines who we are. Just because they wear these things, it just might very well make them feel good and sexy about themselves. It's not they that are embarrassing themselves, it is you who are embarrassed because it make you feel uncomfortable. Now if that causes you fear of being lumped into to what mainstream society considers non acceptable then that makes you no better than the rest of them. You are still practicing a prejudice.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
Underwater Ophelia

Please don't take my quotes out of context.
Thank you.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
LadyLucretia

Quote:
It's not they that are embarrassing themselves, it is you who are embarrassed because it make you feel uncomfortable. Now if that causes you fear of being lumped into to what mainstream society considers non acceptable then that makes you no better than the rest of them. You are still practicing a prejudice.
Ok. I admit it. I am prejudiced against people who dress badly. But that has nothing to do with weight.

Maybe you should start a letter campaign to all the makeover shows that target poorly dressed people. They're clearly prejudiced too.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #13
DeathChii

There are fat people in every 'subculture'.
It has nothing to do with goth or not xD fat people are just fat people.
Which get me to my next point: IT'S NOT HEALTHY.
Neither is being underweight. >< gaaah
let's all just be HEALTHY!
w00t
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #14
Apathy's_Child

Saphyra Runa, unless you've never in your life looked at someone and disliked their outfit, the level of outrage shown here is a little hypocritical. People weren't going around going "fat people EUWW!", they were talking about people wearing clothes that don't suit them, IN a thread devoted to the discussion of clothing. I'd understand if it was a case of prejudice being shown against people who are over weight but I've seen nothing that fits the bill so far. People rip on people for all sorts of reasons, especially here - plenty of newbies get attacked for their music after one post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucretia
Maybe you should start a letter campaign to all the makeover shows that target poorly dressed people. They're clearly prejudiced too.
Finally we agree on something! XD

Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
Death_Mask

Well I’m thinking, what makes them poorly dressed? After all, we all have individual tastes and what one of us might see as hideous, the other might think of as gorgeous.

There is a form of prejudice in that. But some people just don’t look good in some clothes and sometimes this doesn’t have anything to do with personal opinions but to do with the overall look. Like the colour might not work for that person, or the shape ect.

But then we have to ask ourselves “why doesn’t the colour work” and this will lead to our views on what colour goes and doesn’t…maybe I should just shut up, I’m confusing myself.
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Vic

This is silly.

Bigger ladies and men should dress to the size they are, or do something about it if they aren't happy with their size.
Whether it's a PVC corset, or a tight T-shirt, nobody should squeeze into something obviously too small. I'm all for 'loving the skin you're in' But I don't wanna see darby all the time. I don't like how we're just talking about women here either? Men have darby roll's too man!! Today I saw a man walking around in cycling shorts and a vest far too small to cover certain bulges. Not nice.
I also hate seeing skinny's walking around with their bones sticking out all over the shop. Bodies are beautiful - Some people just need to learn how to leave some things to the imagination.

My two cents.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #17
Wormboy

Color has to do with skin tone, eyes, and hair color, simply put. I don' think there is anything wrong with a big lady wanting to feel beautiful, but just realize your size. Miniskirts are not for most people (i dont usually like them on ANYONE anyway)

If you are a big woman, dont wear small clothing, you can look just as beautiful in a long black dress as you can in a mini skirt and a tanktop, actually you'd look far better in the black dress

Just know what you're working with

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #18
Saphyra Runa

Quote:
Please don't take my quotes out of context.
Thank you.
Since I was unable to define what voice or face you were using I interpreted it differently. I apologize.

Quote:
And that was just stupid.

Quote:
Saphyra Runa, unless you've never in your life looked at someone and disliked their outfit, the level of outrage shown here is a little hypocritical. People weren't going around going "fat people EUWW!", they were talking about people wearing clothes that don't suit them, IN a thread devoted to the discussion of clothing. I'd understand if it was a case of prejudice being shown against people who are over weight but I've seen nothing that fits the bill so far. People rip on people for all sorts of reasons, especially here - plenty of newbies get attacked for their music after one post.
It's not about that I haven't looked at some one and disliked their outfit. I have a degree in fashion. Of course I look at what people are wearing all the time with a critical eye. But everyone's opinion of what looks good on themselves or on someone else is purely that. An opinion. One of which I keep to myself unless asked for it. If they feel good in it, who am I to tell them otherwise?

I am just tired of overweight people being used as the prime example of what is the most horrific of fashion faux pas'. Until this thread no one was saying...Oh, it's just people wearing clothing unsuitable in general we are criticizing.

Ugh, forget it. What I am feeling isn't coming across.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

It's coming across to me.

And here are my thoughts:

I have no problem with fat people. None. My mother is overweight.
It's still annoying when people who are overweight wear revealing or too tight clothing. It's gross. Not only is it gross to look at, but consider what the person is saying about themselves. It is unhealthy to be overweight. I don't care how many women say they have a "healthy shape." It's not fucking healthy to be overweight.
Aside from that, like I said, it's annoying when people parade themselves around looking terrible. It's annoying when ANYONE does that, whether they're a size 2 or 22. We just happened to be talking about fat people.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
delicti

Ladies, ladies - take it easy. It just comes down to this, if you'll forgive the bluntness:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ottheholes.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...sc/sexwork.jpg

Other than that, just dress your size and we'll still love you.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #21
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
It's not about that I haven't looked at some one and disliked their outfit. I have a degree in fashion. Of course I look at what people are wearing all the time with a critical eye. But everyone's opinion of what looks good on themselves or on someone else is purely that. An opinion. One of which I keep to myself unless asked for it.
I understand that you are sick of hearing overweight people bashed, but so far as I can see the only difference between you and the people you called out is that you don't say it out loud. If they were hollering at a person like the one described (i.e. overweight and letting it all hang out) in the street, I'd probably be right behind you telling them to STFU. No one should be harrassed while minding their own business. But it was an abstract discussion that wasn't picking on anyone in particular.

Prime example? I think not. On this board people get criticised for makeup (I remember reading people telling BleedRebellion they didn't think her makeup matched in her yrbook picture) and in the fashion threads, people saying they wished they could pull [insert look] off. It's an expression of what people think doesn't look good regarding dress.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #22
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
Ladies, ladies - take it easy. It just comes down to this, if you'll forgive the bluntness:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ottheholes.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...sc/sexwork.jpg

Other than that, just dress your size and we'll still love you.
Thats fucking awesome. I giggled like a crazy person at that.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
Lapin

I don't think anyone looks good in PVC corsets, unless its over something else. That's me though. I keep my body very covered up all of the time. To me, people show far too much these days, in any weight class. Leave something to the imagination at least.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #24
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
To me, people show far too much these days, in any weight class. Leave something to the imagination at least.
.....Agreed.....

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #25
honeythorn

I wear low cut tops, but everything else is covered.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote