Gothic.net Community

Gothic.net Community (https://www.gothic.net/boards/index.php)
-   Whining (https://www.gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fuck Twilight!! (https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=11589)

Scareebowfairy 07-31-2008 04:18 AM

Stop it! I hated it there's nothing you can say to make me change my mind dammit!

Solumina 07-31-2008 09:26 AM

The thing that bugs me the most about Twilight is the attitude that so many people have about it. When the first book came out it was just another crappy teen romance, nothing special, and it was pretty cheap so it made a good vacation kind of book, only a little on the long side. Then somehow it turned into this big thing, it has gotten a bit more expensive and people have started to go crazy about it, claiming that it is one of the greatest series ever, and it isn't. That and it saddens me that someone with a degree in English lit would make so many mistakes that she should have learned were wrong in middle school.

JCC 07-31-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scareebowfairy
I grew up with friends who watched Titanic tooo many times it's scarred me, any romance to me now is better than Titanic.

Titanic was beautifully directed, shot, scored and edited and the actors did wonderfully with the dialogue they were given.

Compare that to the completely meritless disaster that is Twilight.

KontanKarite 07-31-2008 10:10 AM

The abridged version caused a small part f me to die inside.

Solumina 07-31-2008 10:15 AM

Just be happy that you didn't read the full thing, six chapters in a row with absolutely no plot development led to me having a dream where I slammed Bella's head into a desk and told her to go find the plot already

Underwater Ophelia 07-31-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KontanKarite
The abridged version caused a small part f me to die inside.

There's an abridged version of Twilight?

Godslayer Jillian 07-31-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanePain
I'll take your word for it, I already have too much on my nightstand to read every night to take on something else.

Holy crap! When I read this yesterday I thought it was Gothicus talking.
You got everyone!

Ashlyea 07-31-2008 01:31 PM

Twilgiht... I now wonder how I managed to swallow all three books. Yes three.. And there's another coming out >.<

Ugh. I was barely able to stand reading through Twilight because the first three hundred pages was about the sparkly, but oh-so-dangerous romance. The second book was only slightly better because Bella was suffering almost the entire way through.

By the way. Fantastic parody.

Raptor 07-31-2008 02:11 PM

Click here

TurquoiseXx 07-31-2008 02:38 PM

Ooooh, Homer Simpson and Robert Pattinson. Nice hahaha.

Raptor 07-31-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurquoiseXx
Ooooh, Mr Sparkles and Robert Pattinson. Nice hahaha.

Fixed :p

And thanks hehe.

TurquoiseXx 07-31-2008 03:16 PM

Oooh, Mr. Sparkles :P I haven't watched The Simpsons in soooo long.

Delkaetre 07-31-2008 05:09 PM

I think perhaps almost everyone in this thread should read this.
http://www.searchlores.org/schopeng.htm
See, doesn't that make things so much clearer for all sides of any given debate?
(yes, I have just read through the GraveyardCrow bickering, staring in abject horror at the individual in question's use of tabloid tactics. How did you guess?)

I have not read Twilight. I do not intend to. When I want to turn off, I read Deadpool comics- violence, and that nice level of slightly uncomfortable humour. Or I read Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. Or I read Terry Pratchett.
Twilight, if it is anything like Anne Rice or Steven King's work, is below my 'off' level and into the 'reader of Hot Celeb Gossip Magazine' territory. But other people turn off around that level. As long as they don't try and tell me that shit is actually 'good', then there'll be no bother.

honeythorn 07-31-2008 05:14 PM

I haven't read the book and don't intend to. but I have finally seen the trailer for the movie on youtube. NO is the answer. Just..NO.

††BlackRose†† 08-01-2008 05:40 PM

I love the Twilight series!!! :(
I don't know how the movie will turn out but the books are quite interesting/funny/cute.

gothicusmaximus 08-02-2008 01:27 AM

By happenstance I found myself at Barnes and Noble during the 'release party' for the final installment of this saga.
I'm drinking my anguish away.

Joker_in_the_Pack 08-02-2008 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delkaetre
I think perhaps almost everyone in this thread should read this.
http://www.searchlores.org/schopeng.htm
See, doesn't that make things so much clearer for all sides of any given debate?
(yes, I have just read through the GraveyardCrow bickering, staring in abject horror at the individual in question's use of tabloid tactics. How did you guess?)

I have not read Twilight. I do not intend to. When I want to turn off, I read Deadpool comics- violence, and that nice level of slightly uncomfortable humour. Or I read Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. Or I read Terry Pratchett.
Twilight, if it is anything like Anne Rice or Steven King's work, is below my 'off' level and into the 'reader of Hot Celeb Gossip Magazine' territory. But other people turn off around that level. As long as they don't try and tell me that shit is actually 'good', then there'll be no bother.

Ouch. Hey I like Stephen King.

JCC 08-02-2008 04:15 AM

The Green Mile was good. Horror stories, just as horror movies, do nothing for me at all. You get a protagonist who's suicidal and doesn't care about dying, and suddenly there's nothing to scare you at all.

Tam Li Hua 08-04-2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ††BlackRose††
I love the Twilight series!!! :(
I don't know how the movie will turn out but the books are quite interesting/funny/cute.

You're allowed to like it, but I have to say....no, it was -not- interesting, funny, or cute. That's like saying Interview With A Vampire was a deeply psychological crime drama. It's just...no.

But, out of curiosity, have you read any Anne Rice or Stephen King or any other, more advanced authors?

Tam Li Hua 08-04-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delkaetre

Wait wait wait...if you are comparing Meyer with Rice and King, then you haven't read any of them. Ever. At all.

And to say that a comic...even an extremely good comic...is somehow better than the literary giants Rice and King...

No no no. Something's very wrong here.

May I ask, have you ever read any of Anne Rice's books? Or Stephen King's? Did you even try to read any of Meyer's? [While I detest her, I detest her because I have at least given her a chance. I find condemning something without looking into it yourself to be absolutely abhorrent. :/ ]

Right now I'm reading through King's Dark Tower series, and it does anything but shut one's brain off. Seriously, it's one of the most complex pieces of modern literature I've read. And Rice, while terribly dramatic, still has very good character development [at least with her vampire series].

Underwater Ophelia 08-04-2008 09:37 AM

I'll bet Uni doesn't like Twilight because there aren't enough pee scenes in it.

I'll bet she also thinks that because of the complete lack of pee scenes, the writer must hate all piss fetishists and will have to stand up to the wrath of Uni, who is very intelligent, mighty, and smelling vaugely of asparagus.

LetheanBlacklight 08-04-2008 09:51 AM

^^ who is very intelligent, and should not be "triffled" with. lol

MollyMac 08-04-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
You're allowed to like it, but I have to say....no, it was -not- interesting, funny, or cute. That's like saying Interview With A Vampire was a deeply psychological crime drama. It's just...no.

But, out of curiosity, have you read any Anne Rice or Stephen King or any other, more advanced authors?

"Allowed"?

Who the fuck are you?

Joker_in_the_Pack 08-04-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua

You're a judgemental little shitheaad who has an over inflated value of what your opinion is worth.

Saya 08-04-2008 07:42 PM

Something worse than Anne Rice? Is that possible?

I was wondering what was going on at the bookstore the other day, did Twilight come out with a new book recently? There were all sorts of girls going in dressed as vampires. I think I've heard of this series before but I'm usually too stuck up to by a teen book ^_^ Mostly because of my regret my teenage years was spent reading crap.

But seriously, anyone know any modern vampire book that was good? I like vampires, but aside from Salem's Lot and Dracula I can't think of a good book about them. Someone once gave me a book called Dark Gold, and it started off as a good vampire book.....then all plot developments stopped and the two characters fucked and kept fucking through the rest of the book. And it wasn't hot either, when the author is using the word "shaft" for a man's wee wee and "velvet sheath" for a girl's box. Then I realized with growing horror that I was reading a romance novel.