Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:38 AM   #26
CptSternn

Capitalism at its finest.

But this is nothing new, it happens somewhere in America almost every year.

I remember when they released the Xbox 360 - there were people shot who tried to jump queue - others robbed at gun point while in queue and no one helped them.

Goes to show the average American really could care less about other Americans when it comes down to it.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #27
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Consumerism at its finest.
Not capitalism.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #28
AshtrayKitten

Consumerism is a wonderful thing.
AshtrayKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #29
Solumina

I think the worst part of the whole thing is that after the poor man was trampled and the crowd was inside the employees (some in tears) asked people to leave because an employee was killed people refused, saying that they had waited outside for so long and they just kept shopping. I get that in the initial surge the front really is moving due to the push from behind and that those in the back don't know what damage they may be causing but once what had happened was clear, people still thought that their own shopping was more important than another person's life.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #30
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtrayKitten
A Natural selection, in its infinite wisdom, would have removed some of the participants from the game of life if their numbers were large enough.
Pedantism brings me here to say that natural selection isn't a force or entity. It is the random reinforcement of genetic traits through sexual preference and survivability in specific environments. This generally requires years of isolation of a relatively small community of individuals, not a large one.

I think you meant to say "survival of the fittest", perhaps? Or just that like many members of communities larger than approximately 100 people, you feel unempowered to change anything, as there is theoretically someone with more power who should be trusted to take care of it all? It's a recognised fact that the "Someone Else's Problem Field" has never been restricted to science fiction comedies, but is a sad element in daily city life.

I feel the main problem here is status and concept of self. People think that they will be fulfilled and happier if they;

1. Own more stuff, and
2. Are able to give better stuff to loved ones at Christmas

Which is a much bigger misconception and psycholgical issue that is quite tricky to solve. How can anyone suggest a government funded plan to reduce our consumption of material goods, when our current system relies upon planned redundancy and a constant flow of resources and waste? How can people raised within this system recognise or accept or understand any measures taken to resolve things?

Anything less than a huge change in paradigm amongst a large amount of consumers, or huge changes in supply, trade, advertisement, and industrial production won't be able to do anything other than ameliorate the situation in small localised areas.

If you're all as disgusted or upset about this news as you seem to be, the best way you can react is to post your thoughts and comments to your local political representatives, or become politically active yourselves. It is the most visible, direct, and effective way of taking responsibility for what is a global social issue. Participate in Buy Nothing Day, and go look up the Story of Stuff.

If you're aware of the problem, then you have the potential to be a part of the solution.

Ah... eep. I'll go put my soapbox away now. I feel a bit too passionately about this topic, I'm afraid.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote