Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #1576
Jaye Jang

"The Black Book of Secrets" by F.E. Higgins
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #1577
Bella Sophia

I read a lot of different genres, but I need to read up on some goth literature... so I'm reading this giant book full of all of Edgar Allen Poe's stories. (currently reading the fall of the house of usher)

Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #1578
dark_dragon_of_ice

I recommend the magic schoolbus.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #1579
Bella Sophia

o.o OH yes. Very goth.

Quote:
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #1580
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sophia
goth literature
No such thing.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #1581
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
No such thing.
Thank the spaghetti monster someone said that.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #1582
Bella Sophia

I disagree.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #1583
Godslayer Jillian

Well, you'd be wrong. There's gothic literature, not goth literature which implies you're making a link between this campy music subculture and a literary form.
Now, this is just not splitting hairs. Gothic literature is bullshit. I can respect William Faulkner (who is the big talented guy in gothic literature, not Poe), but Gothic Literature is, simply put, plain old superfluous bullshit.
Gothic literature was the big thing in the nineteenth century. Every materialistic bourgeois wanted to read the new edition of Varney the Vampire. Gothic Literature was very detailed, but so was Transcendentalist literature which wasn't to please the masses. The only reason Edgar Allan Poe wrote horror fiction was because he had to make the living, and that was what everyone wanted. It's an insult to remember Edgar Allan Poe as a horror fiction writer and the epitome of gothic literature. He should be remembered because of his incomparable rhythm. He should be remembered for beginning the detective stories. He should be remember for being a proto-science fiction writer. Never because he wrote the occasional story that gave the standard Victorian a pleasant, well-known, done-to-death (no pun intended) chill down their conformist spine.
Edgar Allan Poe had more to do with Herman Melville than with Bram Stoker.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #1584
Bella Sophia

Gothic, it's what I meant. Sorry if I left off the "ic" at that end.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #1585
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah, but still. In any case, I just wanted to get that out. Gothic literature annoys me.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #1586
Bella Sophia

Ah, okie. I couldn't tell you whether it annoys me or not. I haven't read enough. Other than Poe, I've read Frankenstein. *shrugs* Oh well.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #1587
Tam Li Hua

Stephen King's The Stand. I'm trying to get through it so I can finish the Dark Tower series. I'm about half-way through, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it! ;___;
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:21 AM   #1588
Jaye Jang

Bella Sophia,

Gothic would include Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, "Turn of the Screw"; poems by Lord Byron; anything by Ambrose Bierce.

Goth lit would include Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Zenna Henderson, anything on ghosts/haunted houses (Hans Holzer is a good place to start). Goth mangas and graphics are also good to check out, like Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series, "Gloom Cookie" and "Bizenghast" (think I spelled it right) work, too. Good luck.

(Many moons ago, I worked in a library).
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #1589
Romantic Raven

I finally finished reading "Beowulf" (translated, of course, though it probably wouldn't hurt to learn a bit of Old English). Right now I'm reading "The Canterbury Tales" (the original version), though I'm thinking of switching to the Modern English translation if I ever intend to finish it.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #1590
Darklight689

Beowulf is great. I always loved that story i need some ideas on some good books i read all the harry potter books, almost finished with the anne rice books. Hopefully i can find a good writer on the same level as they are. If anyone knows of one would be helpful.
Darklight689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #1591
tickingstitch

Everyone loves Poe

Aim: K143rsjrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Oh shit!!!*tries to run away, but trips, he breaks his neck on a stool*No I know how Hilary Swank feels like.
tickingstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #1592
viscus

I just picked up Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's rather amusing.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #1593
gothicusmaximus

[quote=Godslayer Jillian]Gothic literature is bullshit. I can respect William Faulkner (who is the big talented guy in gothic literature, not Poe)[/gothic]

You can't say that. You can believe that Faulker is more talented than anyone who ever wrote a gothic novel, but you can't call Faulkner 'the big talented guy in gothic literature' because his 'southern gothic' genre isn't so much a contribution of the 'gothic' literary tradition as a permutation on the form- saying that is tantamount to saying that Authur Miller is the 'big talented' greek tragedian because he experimented with elements of that style.

Quote:
but Gothic Literature is, simply put, plain old superfluous bullshit. Gothic literature was the big thing in the nineteenth century. Every materialistic bourgeois wanted to read the new edition of Varney the Vampire. Gothic Literature was very detailed, but so was Transcendentalist literature which wasn't to please the masses.
Why is it that popularity or accessibility reduces the value of a novel? Of course there were awful entries into the catalogue of gothic fiction, but those that are still read and celebrated today- Wutering Heights, Frankenstein, A Turn of the Screw, Bleak House, even Dracula- are generally accomplished works. Varney, at any rate, doesn't constitute grounds on which to condemn the whole genre, as it's more a penny dreadful than a truly literary composition.

Quote:
The only reason Edgar Allan Poe wrote horror fiction was because he had to make the living, and that was what everyone wanted. It's an insult to remember Edgar Allan Poe as a horror fiction writer and the epitome of gothic literature.
By that logic, we shouldn't acknowledge Shakespeare's sonnets because he wrote them for money, often after being hired by others and handed a topic about which he didn't care.

Quote:
He should be remembered because of his incomparable rhythm. He should be remembered for beginning the detective stories. He should be
remember for being a proto-science fiction writer. Never because he wrote the occasional story that gave the standard Victorian a pleasant, well-known, done-to-death (no pun intended) chill down their conformist spine.
Since when is Poe's other work ignored? I don't believe the adventures of August Dupin were any less popular than his other tales, and they're certainly equally regarded today. Regardless, once again, the popularity of a composition's genre doesn't cheapen that work- by this rationale, No Country For Old Men shouldn't be an Oscar nominee because there are so many Westerns.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #1594
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Why is it that popularity or accessibility reduces the value of a novel?
It doesn't, but gothic literature almost in its entirety sucks, and was only sold because it was popular.
Quote:
Of course there were awful entries into the catalogue of gothic fiction, but those that are still read and celebrated today- Wutering Heights, Frankenstein, A Turn of the Screw, Bleak House, even Dracula- are generally accomplished works.
Yeah, and FOX sucks, but it has the Simpsons and Family Guy. For those few examples I should judge the overall body of it?
Quote:
Varney, at any rate, doesn't constitute grounds on which to condemn the whole genre
But most gothic literature resembles Varney and Dracula rather than Wuthering Heights.
Quote:
By that logic, we shouldn't acknowledge Shakespeare's sonnets because he wrote them for money
Actually yeah. Shakespeare had talent, but he didn't say much to the world rather than he was just getting a salary.
Quote:
Since when is Poe's other work ignored? I don't believe the adventures of August Dupin were any less popular than his other tales, and they're certainly equally regarded today.
Really? Let's make a poll about which story people feel is more "Poe"tic of Poe's stories: The Pit and the Pendulum, or The Murders in La Rue Morgue?
Quote:
Regardless, once again, the popularity of a composition's genre doesn't cheapen that work
No, it doesn't, but when did I say it does?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #1595
gothicusmaximus

Heh, I realized how badly I botched quoting you in the last post. Busy and tired as I was, I closed a quote tag with [/gothic]. I rule.

Quote:
It doesn't, but gothic literature almost in its entirety sucks, and was only sold because it was popular.
Dude, unpopular things don't sell. Everything sells because it's popular. Some things can be popular for reasons which are less 'legitimate' in your eyes than those for which other things are popular, but things don't sell for reasons beyond popularity.

Quote:
] Yeah, and FOX sucks, but it has the Simpsons and Family Guy. For those few examples I should judge the overall body of it?
TV Stations versus Literary Genre's is a weird analogy, but, well, if you live in a Nielsen Household, you don't just help out Family Guy and the Simpsons when you tune in, you help out Fox as a whole. Besides, what about motherfucking House?

Quote:
But most gothic literature resembles Varney and Dracula rather than Wuthering Heights.
Most contributions to all genres suck. Most science fiction is shit like "SPACE MARINE", not I, Robot or The Stars My Destination. Most Fantasy is "DRAGONMOOR", not The Lord of the Rings. Most books suck, period.

Quote:
Actually yeah. Shakespeare had talent, but he didn't say much to the world rather than he was just getting a salary.
Are you saying that Shakespeare's works as a whole didn't say much to the world? Or just that his sonnets have little little literary value? I don't agree with either statement, and if you maintain one or both of those beliefs I have to ask that you elaborate as to why you do.

Quote:
Really? Let's make a poll about which story people feel is more "Poe"tic of Poe's stories: The Pit and the Pendulum, or The Murders in La Rue Morgue?
I'd say it would depend on who we'd survey. The layperson would probably have more familiariy with the former if he knew of Poe at all, but I can't imagine anyone with an interest in literature neglecting the importance of his August Dupin tales. I'd actually be very interested to conduct this experiment, posting the poll to forums which attract different userbases perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillian
No, it doesn't, but when did I say it does?
The way you called gothic literature 'well-known' and 'done to death' seemed a bit contemptuous of popular things, but I might have misconstrued you.

We're not fighting, btw. I do <3 you, Jillian.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #1596
Alkonost13

Let's read "Master & Margarita" by M. Bulgakov. It's a gothic book too!
Alkonost13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #1597
Cyberbat

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Cyberbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #1598
Luna

Right now I´m reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It´s not as dark as I had hoped it would be, at least not yet.. But it´s still very hard to let go of. I could stay up night and day reading it.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #1599
Ashlyea

Quote:
Right now I´m reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It´s not as dark as I had hoped it would be, at least not yet.. But it´s still very hard to let go of. I could stay up night and day reading it.
Hm, I just picked Twilight up yesterday, (now nearly done with it) and I'm wondering now if it belongs in the trash. It's not anything new, and doesn't get exciting until near the very end. Then, things don't seem to connect to the rest of the story.
Ashlyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #1600
BlkGothGrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbat
American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Hell yes. That book is one good time indeed.
BlkGothGrl is offline   Reply With Quote