Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #1801
honeythorn

I'm off camping at a big pagan event ( Mercian Gathering) I've got everything sorted, I've got my para boots on, my hair is freshly dyed, and I can test out my new camping cooker. Good times
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #1802
MissCheyenne

I start college on Tuesday!One step closer to my plans all coming together.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #1803
Lady Sorrow

im happy for you miss c.

ive not had my day made(except for a certain post i read earlier hehe) but im waiting. and if nothing comes up ill do something to amuse myself later *enter evil grin here*
Lady Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #1804
*Twitch

I got internet in the new place, and the last effects of last night's shit storm are fading. Oh, and I didn't get drunk today, that was cool.
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #1805
Blackheart

A three day weekend, the best nights sleep I've gotten in a couple months and a friend coming over to spend the weekend with me has made my day.
I really needed all this considering how bad my attitude has been recently.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #1806
Ben Lahnger

A friend sent me this picture of a billboard ad that is actually displayed in Austin, Texas, USA.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

*edit: I looked up the website. Turns out it's a movie promotion. Huh.*

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #1807
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
I start college on Tuesday!One step closer to my plans all coming together.
I start on Wednesday :3 Doesn't it feel like this is the longest weekend ever?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #1808
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
A friend sent me this picture of a billboard ad that is actually displayed in Austin, Texas, USA.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

*edit: I looked up the website. Turns out it's a movie promotion. Huh.*
Darn it Ben I was hoping someone would be able to help me out

Maybe I'll be classy and sell it on Ebay *end snarkasm*

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #1809
korinna5555

I went up to Baltimore tonight. Good times, man..
Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #1810
honeythorn

I have been camping, it was excellent as always ! The Wicker man got burned and all our offerings with him. My thanks has gone up in flames so it's all good. PLUS I have....dead stuff and bits and bobs.

A dried pheasant backpiece and wings ( I am informed she was delicious ) 3 Roebuck antlers and some good quality leather offcuts and strips/ties , which will make a great backing for my antique bunnyskin rug

And with the offcuts from the bunny and leather I can make catnip filled bunny skin and leather mice for my boyfriends cat !

If I manage to make myself a normal-ish size and tone up, I will turn the wings into the cups of a ritual...bikini type affair which I will wear along with other stuff at next years gathering to leap around the Wicker man - lots of people make and wear head dresses and other ritual gear for this so I want to have a go .
Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #1811
Ben Lahnger

Finding "Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reversible Verse" on Amazon.

This is a most ingenious book. To give you an idea of how ingenious it is, here's a bit of poetry about Jack and the Beanstalk:

What will happen next?
Little does he know.
A giant
beanstalk is about to read
the
clouds
through the
fragrant green air.
A boy waits in the
garden,
cow, market, beans
leading to this moment:
Time to climb.

Now, read the poem in reverse starting at the bottom and working up to the top, and your eyes will widen with surprise at what you find. "Time to climb. Leading to this moment: cow, market, beans, garden . . . "

It's a clever, one-of-a-kind book ... and I want it!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 09-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #1812
Xombie

There was a big dub-step party last night, and I was allllll into it, womping my ass off, sporting a shit ton of glow paint and dancing with a mini black light. This morning I overheard somebody saying "If dubstep had a baby, it would be Kim." Tooootally made my day.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #1813
JCC

What kind of tunes were you dancing to? Whenever I think of people dancing to dubstep I imagine a crowd full of people wearing hoodies solemnly moving their head and maybe shuffling their feet a bit if they're drunk and feeling uninhibited.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #1814
ape descendant

... gayfish...

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #1815
Ben Lahnger

I have really been digging the Science Channel program "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman", as I had a few shows saved on my DVR, even though I don't have cable any more.

I got to the "Black Holes" episode tonight - and it was fabulous!

Radio astronomers clocked a star at the center of our galaxy, at the closest approach to the gravitational center of its orbit, traveling at 11 million MPH!

They believe the thing that star (and many other stars orbiting in the same area) is flying around is a super-massive black hole.

Scientists now believe there is a super-massive black hole at the center of most galaxies.

Also, while in theory light does not escape a black hole, they do emit radiation (which is observable as sound.) And in the process of trying to listen for a black hole scientists have observed what they believe to be pairs of black holes dancing in orbit around each other!

It's incredibly heady stuff.

I couldn't find the whole episode online, but here are part two, part three and part five.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #1816
Ben Lahnger

The fact that tropical storm Hermine is traveling west of here, so the most it will impact us in Houston is that we might get a little rain. I can deal with that.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #1817
honeythorn

My local leisure centre are going to start doing Zumba classes. I've had a peek on youtube and it looks like something I could do. I already do aerobics so this should be ok I think.

I'll have to pay for them separately though as they are not included in my monthly membership, still, I'll go to a few just to see how I like it and if I want to keep going and paying a fiver a time ( the class is one hour long so it's not a bad price )
Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #1818
Saya

I had gotten into a disagreement with a friend of mine about Take Back The Night, and she didn't want to go because she "isn't a feminist and likes men", I think that was a week or two ago. Anyway, so I went to her house today and we got to talking about victim blaming (don't ask me how we get on the topic, somehow it went from Pope Benny hating to that) and yeah as it turns out she totally is a feminist and just didn't want to use the label. I reassured her that her misadventures into a women's studies class was not the norm and certainly doesn't fly with the people in charge of the march, so I got her to agree to go! We ended up having a fantastic discussion about it, as we ate falafels and watched Hellraiser.

She also has a baby bunny that was very snuggly, baby bunnies can certainly make any day.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #1819
Fruitbat

I sat outside and made mud pies with my 18mth old. We both got covered in mud.

The cat almost got hosed as she chased the water as it came out (I think she's part dog- but don't tell her that). That made my day because the cat is a slut with Mr Bat and ever since we got her 3 years ago, it's been a rivallary for Mr Bat's affections - one which I have lost.

Oh and while Baby bat was sleeping, I put my finger up to my lips to tell my beautiful, almost toothless grumpy ginger cat to be quiet and he opened his mouth and meowed silently. He's such a clever cat.

Yes we do have cat wars in this house, well it's more like a political campaign - where Mr Bat and I smear the other cat's reputation. I usually get beaten up by the cats - being a bat and all, but I fly high and practice my guano dropping on them.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #1820
*Twitch

Harry got a few kisses *goofy smile* Hopefully this'll signal an ending to my piss-poor luck.
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #1821
Lady Sorrow

nothings made my day today, but yesterday was awesome enough to make today start good so ill count that.

i went hiking and climbing on rocks in the dells for three hours with my coz, his gf, my bro and sis. o and her bf. tons of fun, great weather.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #1822
Fruitbat

ohh yeah!!

I got to the gym tonight and did my weight circuit. The downside was that Justin Bieber was on the movie channel, while I was on the stepper, mentally screaming "Oh my god shot me, I hate Justin B" his songs really aren't that motiviational.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #1823
Lady Sorrow

i had a raspberry jelly filled donught this morning!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #1824
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Also, while in theory light does not escape a black hole, they do emit radiation (which is observable as sound.)
Light is radiation. Radiation is emitted from material falling into a black hole that has yet to pass the event horizon.

I think you're actually talking about gravity waves caused by the masses of two orbiting black holes. Someone played the signal through some speakers for whatever reason. Representable as sound might be a better way to put it but I would have thought that applies to any signal.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #1825
Ben Lahnger

Okay, while light does not escape a black hole, it can escape before it breaches the event horizon. And you are correct in stating "radiation is emitted from material falling into a black hole that has yet to pass the event horizon."

Also, gravity waves carry radiation.

In physics, a gravitational wave is a fluctuation in the curvature of spacetime which propagates as a wave, traveling outward from the source. Predicted to exist by Albert Einstein in 1916 on the basis of his theory of general relativity[1], the waves transport energy known as gravitational radiation. Sources of gravitational waves include binary star systems composed of white dwarfs, neutron stars, or black holes.

I may have been guilty of making an over-simplified statement, but I was counting on the video to clear up the details. Did you watch it?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,