Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: Do you think that depressin causes suicide??
Yes 18 26.09%
No 5 7.25%
Maybe 3 4.35%
I dont know 2 2.90%
Sometimes 41 59.42%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
bloody_tears

Please......

take my survey. I have to do this report on cause and effect for english... Im doing it on Depression and sucide.
bloody_tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
MrMaelstrom

You meant to type "depression", right?
Old 10-29-2003, 09:48 AM   #3
bloody_tears

Ya I did, and for some reason its not letting me edit it.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
bexxle

There is a relationship but not dirrect, at least that's what I think. Depression itself is usually caused by stress. Sometimes people can pull out of it, see a doctor or relax for awhile. It's difficult though. It seemed like whenever I would just rest people didn't know how to react, because most people live relatively unstressed lives without knowing it.

Also if you are dealing with a lot of change in your life like moving, getting married, having a child, know someone getting engaged, a new system at work, basically everything good or bad, it is very hard to just let go. Personally, I moved not too long ago, started up school, started a working on a business idea among other things. It's far enough in the past now, but I feel burned out. My friend told last weekend that he might be kicked out of his place if he can't find a job. That brought it all down for me.

Focusing on what only has to be done right now is challenging. Still I finished some homework and punked on some people on the site. Back to feeling somewhat hopeful about the future again.
bexxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
bloody_tears

Thanks for your views maybe I get some more I will use them in my paper.

Im sorry about your friend wish him the best for me.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #6
secretboy

I think that while a lot of depressed people feel suicidal, actual suicidal people are a little different. I remember a study I can't find now about sucide, and how people who have poor impulse control are more likely to commit suicide than normal people.

There's a lot we don't know about suicide...like why women are so much less likely to commit suicide than men - and tons more questions up in the air.
secretboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
Abandoned

Uhmm, yeah i think that there may be some correlation between the two.. altough in some cases.. depression has nothing to do with suicide.. so yeah.. hope that the survey goes well!! Stay Safe..
x
Abandoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:24 PM   #8
bexxle

Thank you, I might call him tonight if I can stay up that late. Feeling fluish.

You know if you look at the statistics, it is usually white men in their fourties. Young woman are more likely across the board.

This is just a hypothesis. Older white men have a lot of stress on them to suceed. Living just anywhere or even being able to say they had it once and lost it doesn't cut it. This place an abnormal ammount of stress on them, especially as they see their other friends suceeding in life.

Young women are have preasure to be beautiful and get married. Therefore the problem stem from feeling inadaquate or to adaquate.

In both cases they try changing everything about themselves. Along with other people around trying to change them as well. I think this specific kind-of stress related depression is key to suicide and nothing to do with compulsive behavior.

By-the-way, stress related depression is an actual study. It was in my Health and Mental Wellness class awhile back.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:51 PM   #9
Hunter

Men are more likely too commit suicide because we are more impulsive than women are.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:55 AM   #10
bexxle

A middle aged man who travels all over as his job is just as likely to commit suicide as a man who frequently changes jobs. They never rest. Throw a divorce or eviction on top of it and say good-bye.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #11
WeaselBoy

Everyone is making a big todo about suicide, geez.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/research/suifact.cfm

Go get some facts on it. It's only 1.2% of all deaths each year, and these people actually CHOSE to die. I think we need to stop whining and give them all a big hand, but that's my own offensive personal opinion.

Yes, men kill themselves in a lot more numbers, but it's probably because of a woman somehow.
WeaselBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:24 PM   #12
December

Weasel you put a smile on my face. I'm sure women do cause men alot of unrest. As
December is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:40 AM   #13
bexxle

Usually women just pick lame ways of attempting suicide like jumping off a building with a poem, stabbing themselves in the heart or taking pills. Since women often die prematurely from pregnancy and other treatable but ignored diseases, they just die before getting that old.

There really isn't in this study saying they want to prevent suicide, just collect information on what it is and how it works from the emotional perspective. Personally, I think it would be nice if they came up with something besides pushing drugs on to everyone.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #14
edgarfan101

but a person wouldnt kill him/herself if they werent depressed i mean a happy person would kill themself
edgarfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #15
bexxle

How do you explain rich, atractive and famous people doing themselves in? Under a lot of stress and before they can think Bang!
Old 11-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #16
innervamp

I believe that depression does lead to suicide in some cases.
innervamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:36 AM   #17
Nike

depression...stress.... there are various rasons for suicide....and w,ell, i think it would be more interesting to think about where this depression is coming from than analysing the connection between depression and suicide.
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 05:36 AM   #18
innervamp

Indeed, Nike, it would be more intresting to view the backround of one's life and where the depression is coming from, then we can analyze if it is connected to the suicidal thoughts.
innervamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:06 AM   #19
Molly

I wrote a research paper on this in college...

From my research, my own experiences, and the people I've known, I agree that what actually causes suicide is poor impulse control. The more important question to such a subject, I think, is, "What causes suicidality?"

My own personal answer to that question is that suicidality is typically caused by feeling trapped in a situation or circumstance. Sometimes it is chronic pain or depression, but not always. (I can think of several examples, and will happily provide them for anyone interested.) But in the people that actually succeed at suicide, it seems that it is the feelings of being trapped more so than the feelings of just feeling sad, worthless, and unmotivated that actually got the gun to the head (or whatever).
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:44 AM   #20
flemco

Heyooooow! Mista Brown inna house!

Depressin' thangs don' need to cause Suicide, y'all! Gotta get yo groove on, get bad! I say bad! Ow! Jump back, kiss maself! Depressin just means you got the blues, but if you put on them sequins, you gotta feel good! Someone hit me! I say heeeeeeell yeah, brothaz!
flemco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:45 AM   #21
bloody_tears

flemco you never fail to make me laught my ass off. i love you lol
Old 11-05-2003, 09:50 AM   #22
flemco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody_tears
flemco you never fail to make me laught my ass off. i love you lol
As you very well should.

:wink:
flemco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:24 PM   #23
bexxle

Nice seeing you again flemco.

There are many reasons for depression. Unlike the idea of nature where it is passed through genes, I believe it is taught through nurture. Not enough out there really proves a link within families.

Personally, as someone who tends to have suicidal tendencies, knowing more about stress and self-control makes me somewhat more balanced. I hated getting into any rutts what-so-ever. My Father has been a good settling mark for me too. He was an extremely intelligent and also attractive man. Unfortunetly relied too much on this.

Just as he was about to graduate from college when he was young a job offer came up. He moved across the country to Reno, NV. Always an honor role student, he figured it would work out, but he was always getting into a different relationship all the time, so he would quit and eventually go back to school. Even got a scholship to SFU. Afterwards he attempted suicide again. Not really a bad thing. I got a scholarship. I think I want to die. No, it does not fit.

Many times I thought of quitting college. My work record is fairly scattered too. My longest relationship was for three years. Thinking of my Father and understanding the reasons behind suicide make me slow down and think before acting. However, I still write poetry, short stories, other writing on volenteer or barely any payment at all. I almost held a job one full year, had an apartment over a year, moved twice since then. It will be a year in school full-time this Spring. While I've had an exciting life, it is stressfull and rarely does anyone empathize. The only thing I've really slowed down on is relationships. What can I say though? Those happen naturally and I'm over my head already.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:50 PM   #24
OutOfPlace

Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that

PEACE :wink:
OutOfPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:36 AM   #25
MrMaelstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfPlace
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that

PEACE :wink:
Pues que si no fuera el amor, yo no estaria tan mal comigo mismo. Si no fuera el amor, yo nunca teria depressiones. Si no fuera el amor, tambien nada existiria en mi vida, pero que esso es otro assunto. No seas tan optimista Alejandra, que me deprimes.