Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #51
Junk Bond Trader

Yes! I think it was something off of "The Fragile."
Junk Bond Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #52
Shemjazza

A point that i would like to add.. Tricky is a god.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #53
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
Heh, Stevie Ray Vaughan as a turntablist, now that would be something.
I would be all over that music.

Like Demonista and Shemjazza were talking about earlier though, it's really just what the song is about.

I have two Gorillaz cd's and I like the rap that's in quite a few of those songs. Also there are a few Beastie Boys songs that are just plain awesome, like "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right".
Old 10-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #54
blacklove_04

hey,
nobody's gonna flame you ^_^, what you're saying is true
it's funny how they are from two different worlds and because of
that they are sincerely the same. but otherwise, i like rock better ^_^
blacklove_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #55
Daedalus

I like some of the really old rap, like the 1970s, 1980s stuff.
Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #56
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemjazza
A point that i would like to add..

Tricky is a god.
Can I get an AMEN!!!!

Bad Dreams is still my favorite Tricky song...

Bad Dreams ~ Tricky

This is a matter of utmost urgency
You might even call it a police emergency
Suckers got ill when they finally heard that G
Wasn't sellin' out, they tried to murder me
Reached for my jammy like a troop's supposed to do
Never let a sucker get too close to you
Heard 'em comin', ducked behind the wall
Then saw the whites of his eyes, the first one had to fall
Another bug creeped up the fire escape
Trying to sneak, I guess he snuck too late
Lookin' like a scene from Real Life Vice
The way his head fell apart like a block of solid ice
Uzi does it, come to think of it
Dude had a nine, but his wasn't as fast as mine
I heard the phone ring, should I answer?
This is gettin' serious as terminal cancer
And that is the final stage, my primal rage
Began to rise and I started to fantasize
How many more might try to rush the door
And blast their way in, hell, I ain't stayin'
I opened the back door and felt the summer night heat
Saw a bunch of bugs wearin' white sheets
What else could it mean? I know it ain't Halloween
The cross in the background burnin' made a ill scene
First I was panicky, then I was angry
One creep even had a rope ready to hang me
Now who am I supposed to be? Eddie Spaghetti?
You come and vic Rob G any time you're ready?
Fuck that, they had me trapped so I rushed back
They tried to bust me but they don't have enough caps
I dipped, dived, slipped, slid, they missed me
I had to move quick or they was bound to get me
One bullet grazed me, that didn't phase me
What could I say? I was havin' a fucked up day
Stood up and took aim, my finger on the trigger
I shouted "Now let me hear you say ******!"
Well anyway, nobody spoke or went for broke
The place was all clouded up from gunsmoke
And everything got quiet, I don't buy it
Just a second ago we had a riot
They must be plannin' attack or settin' a trap
Whatever the case you won't get this black
Now I'm on the edge and there's no denyin' it
Whatever the hell might work I'm tryin' it
Thought I was a target that they could get right quick
But I ain't goin' out like no statistic
Another number, made me wonder
How many other brothers they've put under
I sat in the dark real still for a long time
Didn't make a sound cos I've got a strong mind
Made my way to the street, it was daybreak
Must've fallen asleep, but for Pete's sake
I didn't see the enemy trying to put an end to me
The night before, my finger trigger was sore
I went in the house to get a fresh clip
And then I woke up an' shit
It's just a bad dream

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 PM   #57
rockandrose

RAP is a form of music, it is simply different from ROCK. In every genre of music, there is always at least one bad artist or a bad song. Everyone has their own tastes in music.

ROCK 'N' ROLL WITH ME BABY!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #58
SicGoth

I am not say rap is not music but it annoys me and I just think its shit thats all. I like old ICP an thats it for me in the rap issue. My bro likes rap and thats fine with me cause thats him not me. I just think rap is Crap' sorry.
SicGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:46 AM   #59
mydnyght

i personally find that rap (or whatever it is) kinda grates my nervs...however i'm all for live and let live(and then die).
mydnyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #60
polished_wolf_claws

*I say this with full understanding that I will possibly be flamed*

I don't mind rap in the abstract of it. I do not like this new gangsta rap and stuff.... but I have a couple of friends who do the rap thing and they are great. both are rather satirical. one does alot of venting rap, and the other does alot of media satire stuff. makes LOTR and starwars references...... and he even made a Vampire the Masquerade rap once.... it was pretty wild stuff...

The only exception to the gnagsta/mainstream rap is I can tolerate, and in some instances enjoy ICP. Mainly because my little brother listened to them all the time. *Laughs* THose crazy clowns.... got some fucked up world views.....

"Teh Lordz Satan Protektz me frm ebil in mah PANTS!!!!!11111"
polished_wolf_claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:54 PM   #61
Fallenfromgrace

well dudes to tell you the truth i am a convert of a heavy rap follower and the reason for conversion is that it jus plain got boring i had been listning to rap from like the age of 6 and after about 7 years of rap i found marilyn manson which sounded good but still listened to my rap alot and then a further 3 years of the 3 b's(bitches,blunts and bling) i got fed up and converted completly into rock with like 1% of rap listnin being done
Fallenfromgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #62
STEIN

I agree with you Demonista_Ravenesque. To me, anything with a beat is music.
STEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #63
cannibalnuns

Angry

A word to Wiggers and "Thugs"

Anyone heard of the term "bling bling"? What the fuck does "Bling bling" mean anyway... Why don’t they say anymore... A simple phrase you can find in English vocabulary... Like "I’m fucking rich!". Would it kill them to say more than two words that sound the same? C’mon people.... Then we got the music videos. Ever seen one of those music videos.. Yea i am sure you have.... Yes yes we got the music videos by artists such as Nelly, Chiggy or Chuggy whatever his name is, and all these other "thugs".. Ya seen one rap video ya seen em all... Gold, platinum, silver and chrome, women, stupid ass wrestling skits, hilarious footage of "cruising" in a expensive car-which half their fans cannot afford, bathing in money (then claiming poverty surrounds them and how hard life is. Fuck that shit you have more money than me), lots of paid people dancing... You would never see a rap video with a group of white people looking cool... Or in front of the other people.... And what is up with those with gold plated teeth. What is up with that... A few years ago I thought it was all for the bling bling.. Yeah it was for the bling bling but then it’s for the "slobber, knobble, knobble, knob, munch, munch" when they try to eat food when they reach forty. Cause gold keeps your teeth from getting nutrients your body needs. But I am sure they take them out r I hope they are smart enough to do that but some get them literally welded on.

You see my "playas".. They will rot. The teeth will actually decay if they are not removed and brushed and I think half of them do not take good care of themselves anyway. They are going to have no teeth. Ten years from now maybe forty years if they got strong teeth.... We will see who is bling blingin’ mr. platinum record seller.. Hope you have good dental plans cause your teeth aint gonna be "right thur". Hope you like the taste’a Campbell soup you profligate bastards!!! You might have that pretty smile now but while "you is" eating barley pops an oatmeal... I am gonna be eating a steak.. No gold teeth for me thank you. They are not gonna ruin this "playa’s game". Whats next platinum plating your dogs teeth.. Sorry but i think gold teeth are stupid unless its for a filling. Then they rap about being in the ghetto...... What ghetto..... You live in a better house than half these people who buy your music... Sure you might have lived there and you cry about the streets being mean but now you live in Beverly Hills.. Get over it you made it big. Like we care about how hard your life is.. Try working eight hours a day... THEN you can complain, the trouble you get yourselves into is your own fault. So swim around in your own shit...

Why don’t you use some of those teeth you got plated and donate to Hells Kitchen or the slums of New York City... Spread some of your money around so you will have something else to rap about. . You tucking’ lavish bastards... I have never understood why they talk the way they do either... I mean they are actually putting "bling bling" in the dictionary.... What’s next to be put in the dictionary "Thur". And you wonder so many kids today cannot fucking spell... Its like a disease only there is no escape from it.... And if you are wondering am I racist.... I am not I just cannot tolerate ignorance and stupidity in excess. There is a fine line between being "hip and cool" to just being a "Neanderthal." Some of my best friends are African American... I do like older hip-hop (and I STRESS LIKE, only sometimes when I am in a rare mood) but I abhor the rap that is listened to today. Oh the world shines on my asshole, look at Mr. Big Bad Thug who needs a gun to solve issues because he is to chicken shit to solve them with anything else. That makes such a good song, shooting people in a drive by, drinking Crystal or whatever the fuck you call it, loving “yo shawtee”, remembering other dumb asses that were not as lucky as you and died sooner and finally your ascendance to glory. You pompous douche bags.

Do you see yourselves as Samurai? Honorable warriors of "da streets". They owned entire lands and never fought in packs and never shot and gunned down their foes in a drive by. Plus they would remove their own entrails if dishonored, lets see you thugs do that. Oh gangsters are we? Like Al Capone? If he was still around you would be sleeping with "da fishies". You know why.... He had actual influence and power, he was doing something with his life and did both illegal and legitimate work. Besides "thugs", the gangsters never would like you anyway. They do not like black people and ignorant whites. Chances are those you idealize would kill you first chance they got for speaking in the lingo you so cherish. And for the record, SCARFACE was not real. Made up and a mere movie. Do you think that is romance or chivalrous, I think it is just simple ignorance and stupidity. So I might not know your fucking street life, I do not want to know it. But I know idiocy.

I do anticipate that one day your- when music plummets worse than Andy Gibbs albums did in 1990. Such joy will fill me from my feet to the top of my head and I will river dance on your albums and then maybe even convert to some new religion just for kicks so I can pray to someone for shutting you all up. Am I bitter no? Do I like stupidity in excess… Yes mentioning that again, might seem redundant. I’m going to become a rapper and call my self “Silva Dolla”
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:31 AM   #64
Unholy_Traitor

Rap sucks!!! It ain't music at all!!! It's just a lame rhythem and a couple of losers talking about sexy girls and nice cars to it. And this big jeans showing off half of their asses and fur jackets and caps. Makin' truble and smokin' crack. Bad idols for kids. I HATE rappers, they suck!!! why the hell can't the just kill themself,and stop acting like pimps. Why the hell can't they just get a life. Fuck the fuckings rappers. BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unholy_Traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:01 PM   #65
Rosie

The reason that Rap wouldn't be considered music is that the main focus is on the "Rap" which is rythmic talking and does not follow a note structure, which would technically work against it being as "Musical" as rock.

Though as an art form, I agree. I think people should lay off Rap. Just because Eminem and 50 Cent are incredibly pretentious doesn't mean actual good rappers are.

Rage Against the Machine are great, anyway.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #66
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy_Traitor
Rap sucks!!! It ain't music at all!!! It's just a lame rhythem and a couple of losers talking about sexy girls and nice cars to it. And this big jeans showing off half of their asses and fur jackets and caps. Makin' truble and smokin' crack. Bad idols for kids. I HATE rappers, they suck!!! why the hell can't the just kill themself,and stop acting like pimps. Why the hell can't they just get a life. Fuck the fuckings rappers. BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, all rappers are "bad idols for kids" and the other musicians are considered as having a good influence amongst children?

Sterotypical indeed.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #67
rubedo

demonista
one thing i continue to like about you is that your not afraid to speak out on your passions. and as you already know i enjoy the artful rap that contains the messages we need to hear. i only dislike the lowbrow rap that were hearing today on this terrible radio invention. and if i get flamed for liking rap, then so be it. i dont care, at least i can enjoy what i like openly.

many can argue their views on the craploads of genres that exist today from the simple rock and rap to this "numetal" and experimental. its all about your tastes in the end and whether or not your gonna give a damn about what people will think of you if you support it. its a shame when i see people i know pretending to hate something they love for the sake of respect.
fuck that-just love it.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #68
Metatron

I do consider Hip Hop and Rap to be music...but some of the artists that merely talk to a beat, I don't think that really constitutes a song where one sings because almost anyone can do that.
Metatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #69
katsumy

In here the rap music is close to the "reggeton". We people don't like it, and in here is against the law to dance it. Just because you dance it like a sexual act. Just throw the bed and "doggy style" that’s it. Besides the lyrics are horrible!... Always talking about and only sex!
could come true some day soon...

* Katsumy *
katsumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #70
horrorgirl

I love old school rap. Grandmaster Flash and Afrikka Bambaata were musical innovators and I love their music. Rap was originally inner city punk. It was about living in poverty and just trying to make it on the streets. It was a form of music that allowed people with no voice to voice how they were making it though life and how the system sucked. Listen to some Grandmaster Flash songs or some Public Enemy and see what I am talking about. Modern 'rap' on the other hand is mostly a bunch of crap.It got used by the mainstream music industry to make a load of money,so it got twisted into something that it wasn't made to be. The same exact thing that happened to some punk music. There are a lot of similarities between the two genres.

If anybody knows of any really good modern political rap artists please share you discoveries because I would be interested in checking them out.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #71
rockandrose

Horrorgil, I've never heard of those two bands you just mentioned. What's a good song to listen to? I would like to have a taste of those bands.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #72
horrorgirl

White Lines and The Message by Grandmaster Flash are both classics. Planet Rock by Afrika Bambaata is probably one of the best songs to come out of that era. 911 Is A Joke by Public Enemy is a good song of theirs to start out on. I also like some NWA,2 Live Crew,and Sir Mix A Lot. The last two put out some really silly songs back in the day. The 'goth' clubs that I used to go to back then would actually play them! HA! I mixed an early rap cd about six months ago....however it was the first project that I did on my Acid program....so I would like to do a better one soon.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #73
Manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
I love old school rap. Grandmaster Flash and Afrikka Bambaata were musical innovators and I love their music. Rap was originally inner city punk. It was about living in poverty and just trying to make it on the streets. It was a form of music that allowed people with no voice to voice how they were making it though life and how the system sucked. Listen to some Grandmaster Flash songs or some Public Enemy and see what I am talking about. Modern 'rap' on the other hand is mostly a bunch of crap.It got used by the mainstream music industry to make a load of money,so it got twisted into something that it wasn't made to be. The same exact thing that happened to some punk music. There are a lot of similarities between the two genres.

If anybody knows of any really good modern political rap artists please share you discoveries because I would be interested in checking them out.
Last decent one I heard was POWER but that was even a long time ago...
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #74
rockandrose

I don't even think actual good rap exist nowadays. I think good rap has died a long time ago.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 PM   #75
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Last decent one I heard was POWER but that was even a long time ago...
I know that there is supposed to be some good underground stuff happening.....but it's so damned underground that I don't know where to look for it. I had a friend that worked for an independent rap label and she would tell me about them. I should have taken some notes.HA!