Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Despanan

So, Occupy Congress (J17 protest)

So, DC.

There's actually a pretty good storify of this up right here when you can follow the events of the day in pictures, video and tweets:

http://storify.com/dustinslaughter/o...orify-pingback

A tweet of mine is actually quoted at the end...which is cool. But as for my own opinion on the matter, see below

DC was actually pretty badass, it wasn't what I was expecting, but it was a pleasant surprise.

First of all, not 100,000 unfortunately. I had taken that number from the original graphic I posted on here (Which read: "Bring 100,000 tents") And the reaction of a large number of people online basically saying "YES. I will go to this. That's what I've been wanting them to do all along!"

I was expecting something more like #N17 in New York, just bigger. However, it was pretty clear that we would not have 100,000, as the permit which was applied for was only for 10,000. Estimates I've heard place our numbers at 3-5000 and that seems about right, as we filled up about 1/4th-1/3rd of the Capital Lawn:

(Papers are saying 1,000 btw...considering that the papers called the chrowd @ #N17 5,000 while NYPD scanners clocked 36,000. I'd say a good rule of thumb would be to multiply whatever the mainstream media claims five or six times to judge the real size)

The advantage with this smaller group however, was that it was pretty much all die-hard OWSer's we had occupiers from every state with an occupation: Oakland, SF, Kentucky, New York, NJ, DC, SC, Michigan, Alaska etc. We ended up being able to be much more focused on policy and networking.

The other advantage, was that we were literally able to take our message directly to congress, and by that I mean at noon we split up into small groups and went to speak directly to our Representatives. My buddy John Knefel was able to sneak into a meeting with Chris Gibson (R-NY 20th) who is a son-of-a-bitch btw and talk to him about the the NDAA and indefinite detention of American citizens. (Good news: NDAA did NOT give the president this power. Bad news: the President already had this power) He wrote a great piece on it for Salon.com here: http://www.salon.com/2012/01/20/cree..._capitol_hill/

most disturbing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gibson
...We are a Free Country, and no bill or act or presidential decree can take that away.
Uh, no Chris. Bills and acts, and presidential decrees, can and WILL take that away. You nitwit.

After that KK, my girlfriend and I, went to get lunch. We found a little bar and grill near the protest. We walked in and found a group of Midwestern-looking moms from Florida up on vacation. They saw my sign and asked me what I was protesting. When I responded "Occupy Wall Street" They cheered, clapped their hands and proceeded to thank us. One of them said her husband had been laid off for months and she was "really glad that someone was finally standing up for ordinary Americans" another told me that she watches our livestreams every night.

After lunch we pointed them in the direction of the protest, which they joined, and I got to see them later during the march.

The march was AWESOME, for a number of reasons. We went from the Capital, to the steps of the supreme court and we filled them chanting "Money is not free speech" in reaction to the Citizens United decision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpNm2EQ_XME <--video here.

And then marched on to the White House.

Overall, I'd say this was extremely productive. We didn't have the numbers I was hoping for, but really on a Tuesday, in the rain (the forecast said "100% chance of rain" the night before on weather.com (which is owned by Bain Capital btw). in the middle of winter, in a commuter-city with a LARGE percentage of 1%ers I think we did really well.

The things which stood out to me:

1) This movement is still not nearly radical enough. Folks are getting there, but once again, most occupiers just want a kinder, gentler capitalism. Which isn't possible. The media is currently treating us as radicals, so I say we should just own it and BE radicals. However, we are much MORE radical than when we marched on #N17 and shut down downtown Manhattan.

2) seriously, KUDOS to the DC police. Unlike the NYPD, they were professional, and their tactics were effective. They showed up in normal police uniforms, not riot-gear. There were WAY less of them than in NYC (The usual ratio in NY is 1 police officer to every 1 protester, sometimes more in the case of smaller protests). There were only 4 arrests the whole time, which surprised the hell out of me. And their crowd control tactics were much more humane. If this had been New York we'd have had busted skulls, or kids hit by cops on motorcycles, or people pepper-sprayed for little to no reason. As is - no one got hurt as a result of police brutality, and the crowd was far less violent and angry as a result. Police forces around the country could really learn from the Capitol police's tactics. These guys know their shit.

3) Occupy DC has their shit together. Of course, This is largely because they're allowed to have their shit together, but MAN is their encampment nice. Large, evenly spaced tents. Generators, mess and aid tents, and porta-johns. Overall, I really approve, and hope to do more in DC. NYC is still the heart of the movement, but DC is giving us a run for our money in terms of organization.

So, yeah. That's about it. I had a blast and I feel like we got some really constructive shit done. You guys have any questions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Solumina

That's pretty awesome, I'm glad things turned out so well. I have to say from my own experiences that the Capitol Police really are a fair bunch, some of the individuals may be pricks but as an organization they seem pretty professional and reasonable, I mean if you are out of line they will come down on you with an iron fist but if you have your shit together, or are at least making an effort to have your shit together they can be downright helpful, even for protestors.

It is a shame that there weren't more people but Northern Virginians really don't seem to handle rain very well (seriously I think they drive better with snow and ice than a drizzle) and so I'm sure a fair number of people who were planning on going didn't want to risk life and limb on the beltway.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Saya

I think a lower than expected turn out isn't necessarily bad; its hard for a lot of people to get the funds to go or to take the time off. So, you're really not going to get everybody who'd like to be there.

Also, re: radicalism. In any large group you're going to have people who just want to reform (I went to a peace and demilitarization thingy once and people were like DEMILITARIZE? DISSOLVE THE POLICE? ARE YOU SERIOUS? I JUST WANT REFORM! Uh, what did you think this was going to be about?) but a ton of people don't read up much on issues or aren't very aware. While national gatherings are awesome, because of previously mentioned barriers to travel, local action and education is far more accessible.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote