Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Elysiume

Hair Dying?

So I'm thinking of dying my hair black, preferably temporarily so I can see if I like it. Only my hair has been dyed a lot before. I had light highlights put in (a LONG time ago), but I hated them so I dyed it back to sort of my original colour (med brown) but it still looked horrible, so I got some lowlights and now it looks fine. I'm considering dying it black, but I want something that will just wash out after a few days or weeks and then be back to normal. I asked my friend about this, and she said it might go the wrong colour or not wash out because home dye kits are really unreliable (and I can't afford to get it done proffessionally). Is there a product I can use that will wash out quickly, with no weird side-effects? Preferably something inexpensive, but I'm willing to save for a while for something good quality.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Ryaken

To my knowledge all Manic Panic products are excellent and condition your hair, too. A friend used some and has *Really* Soft hair.
Ryaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
So I'm thinking of dying my hair black, preferably temporarily so I can see if I like it. Only my hair has been dyed a lot before. I had light highlights put in (a LONG time ago), but I hated them so I dyed it back to sort of my original colour (med brown) but it still looked horrible, so I got some lowlights and now it looks fine. I'm considering dying it black, but I want something that will just wash out after a few days or weeks and then be back to normal. I asked my friend about this, and she said it might go the wrong colour or not wash out because home dye kits are really unreliable (and I can't afford to get it done proffessionally). Is there a product I can use that will wash out quickly, with no weird side-effects? Preferably something inexpensive, but I'm willing to save for a while for something good quality.
Temporary blacks can still attach to your hair, especially if you have damaged hair from previous coloring and/or chemical treatments. I'm really not sure what advice to give you other than if you don't like it and it wont come out you can always shave your head.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Malice In Wonderland

If you know anyone that's handy on photoshop you could get them to edit you a picture to see if you like it?
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland
If you know anyone that's handy on photoshop you could get them to edit you a picture to see if you like it?
I could try, if I had a photo.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Elysiume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne
I could try, if I had a photo.
I actually don't have any recent pictures of myself. The most recent was taken almost 6 months ago, when I had a completely different haircut and I was about half an inch shorter...

Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Solumina

The haircut really shouldn't really change whether or not the color would work for you so using an old pic wouldn't be a problem.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
you're actually contemplating dyeing your hair black?

Go back to emo.net
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Helpmann
you're actually contemplating dyeing your hair black?

Go back to emo.net
Are you being sarcastic or do you seriously believe that most Goths are born with black hair?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
Are you being sarcastic or do you seriously believe that most Goths are born with black hair?
No cretin.

I am suggesting that a true goth doesn't think twice about dyeing their hair.

/thread
Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Elysiume

Quote:
No cretin.

/thread
I am not trying to conform to your idea of a "true goth". I wouldn't do anything I didn't want to, just because it's goth. And I don't care whether dyeing my hair is goth. If suicide were considered to be very goth (which it is NOT), would you kill yourself? No, of course you wouldn't. That would just be stupid.

And please stop calling people "cretins". Being crass and obnoxious to everyone who disagrees with you is not the way to win an argument. And it's just plain impolite.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
No cretin.

/thread
Spoken like a true idiot.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Beneath the Shadows

In any case, Elysiume, I suggest using using some of that colored hair gel. It washes right out like regular hair gel and takes the color with it. That way, you can change your hair color and style it the way you want to, and if you decide it's not for you it can be changed back as quickly as your next shower. (I wouldn't know which brand is best, sorry.)

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
I did that when I first started dying my hair black. I've sinced switched to blue-black but that's besides the point.
Natural Instincts has a great Level 2 (28 shampoos) black, and it's like $8 at Wal-Mart.
One thing you need to know about black hair dye is that it can be impossible to lift. Since your hair is a lighter color it may take more than the 28 shampoos to wash out. I know that Level 1's (7-10) shampoos are hard to find but Clairol has a brand called Loving Care that could work for you. Loreal also has a brand called Color Pulse (can't miss it- it's in an orange package) that has a variety of funky colors including black.
http://www.lorealparis.ca/en/haircol...olor_pulse.asp

One thing you can do if your hair is dry or damaged is what I call a "Dry Conditioning Treatment." I always tried hot oil treatments and no matter how many times I washed it out of my hair, there was still oil left behind. So I started doing this. Basically your hair absorbs conditioner like water, so when you condition it when it's wet it's like trying to soak up a spill with a wet towel. When you hair is completely dry, saturate it from root to tip with either a thick and creamy conditioner or a conditioner treatment. This works really well and actually restores health to hair that breaks off. Wrap your hair in a towel and depending on the length/damage of your hair leave it on for 1-3 hours. When you rinse you will notice an immediate difference.
Hope that helps!
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
jack_the_knife

Quote:
No cretin.

/thread
I love the way that you have to poke your own insecurities at others to make yourself feel better. If you do have to use the word "crétin" at least apply the accent.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #16
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
I am not trying to conform to your idea of a "true goth". I wouldn't do anything I didn't want to, just because it's goth. And I don't care whether dyeing my hair is goth. If suicide were considered to be very goth (which it is NOT), would you kill yourself? No, of course you wouldn't. That would just be stupid.

And please stop calling people "cretins". Being crass and obnoxious to everyone who disagrees with you is not the way to win an argument. And it's just plain impolite.
That's so un-goth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Spoken like a true idiot.
*points and laughs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_knife
I love the way that you have to poke your own insecurities at others to make yourself feel better. If you do have to use the word "crétin" at least apply the accent.
I love the way that you have to assume that I have insecurites in order to justify to yourself why I'm an such an utter dick to morons like you.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:38 AM   #17
jack_the_knife

Quote:
I love the way that you have to assume that I have insecurites in order to justify to yourself why I'm an such an utter dick to morons like you.
I don't have to assume that you have insecurities, I choose to believe that you have insecurities. Also, I'm hardly a moron if I can at least spell "insecurities" correctly.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:47 AM   #18
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
I don't have to assume that you have insecurities, I choose to believe that you have insecurities. Also, I'm hardly a moron if I can at least spell "insecurities" correctly.
oh give me a break, I've got a hangover.

And you cannot choose what you want to believe in; a thing is either true or it isn't true.

PS - evidence of your moronic person is to be found in your stupid, third rate hat.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #19
jack_the_knife

I'm hardly going to care that you've got a hangover, It's self inflicted. You're, talking complete bollocks again, of course you can choose what you want to believe, that's what pretty much all religions are about.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #20
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
I'm hardly going to care that you've got a hangover, It's self inflicted. But then again you always are. You're, talking complete bollocks again, of course you can choose what you want to believe, that's what pretty much all religions are about.
Ahem...

"You're, talking complete"

DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GRAMMAR? RETARD! MORON! I WIN!!!

See? Easily done..

Where the fuck did you get religion?

Trying to turn this into a Mansonite/spooky kid rant against religion are we? Are you seriously that vulgar to even attempt to blatently shift to an area where you think you're well versed?

I'd smash you into the ground.

Oh and the hat is retarded; I gather you're from the UK since you used the word bollocks?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 AM   #21
jack_the_knife

Yes, fine by me, you win. I'm far too lazy to argue anymore. I wasn't trying to shift the argument I was just proving that you spout turd. Oh and by the way, I am from the U.K. if you have to know. My hat, on the other hand can probably converse more intelligently than you can. Oh, and thank you for calling me out on the comma, I must watch out in future.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 AM   #22
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Yes, fine by me, you win. I'm far too lazy to argue anymore. I wasn't trying to shift the argument I was just proving that you spout turd. Oh and by the way, I am from the U.K. if you have to know. My hat, on the other hand can probably converse more intelligently than you can. Oh, and thank you for calling me out on the comma, I must watch out in future.
Awwww, gonna go cry are we?

Boo fucking hoo...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #23
jack_the_knife

Quote:
Awwww, gonna go cry are we?

Boo fucking hoo...
Yes, most definitely, I'm off to start an "everybody hates me thread" and an "I'm being victimized" thread as we speak...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:32 AM   #24
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Yes, most definitely, I'm off to start an "everybody hates me thread" and an "I'm being victimized" thread as we speak...
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if you did (even though I know you're trying to be sarcastic).

Firstly, you're a total mediocre with a poor taste in fashion and lacking even the most rudimentary of social skills.

Secondly, you go running with your tail between your legs the moment someone throws your lame excuse for an argument back at you.

That's what makes you an utter dick.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:36 AM   #25
maromi12d3

Sir helpmann why do you hate these people and forum so?
maromi12d3 is offline   Reply With Quote