Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Catch

I Should Take this More Seriously

Someone uploaded the video footage of my performance on "So You Think You Can Dance." I know this is a multi-national site, so now you too can see it. People are leaving the worst comments about me all over the YouTube footage. Oh well, I should just feel so much more awful about everything but I don't.

Here is the high-quality video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHUtO5UgPU

Here is the low-quality video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-GJnIg8iG8

Here is my defense:
http://www.printnpost.com/blogs/4235...ance-2008.html
Old 07-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
gothicusmaximus

This truly is a rare opportunity. Oftentimes, when I find myself watching American Idol or other such talent competition programs, and I bear audience to those auditions considered by the show's producers to be the most abysmally pathetic, I am powerless but to wonder "What the fuck were these people thinking? How have they lived for so long under the delusion that they're qualified to take part in this contest, when the opposite is so unequivocally true?"
So, Catch, I ask you, what the fuck were you thinking? How have you lived for so long under the delusion that you're qualified to take part in that contest, when the opposite is so unequivocally true?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Atom Kat

Good on you. To get up and give it a go deserves congratulations! And to not have fallen to pieces when they came down so hard on you shows great strength of character

How do you know you can do something unless you try. I wish that I had your courage!
Atom Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
JCC

Yeah, it's great to see someone so apathetic that all they do is write a huge blog about it, attempt to justify their position and then go on to forums complaining about it to break their silence.

There's no shame in being pissed off, so don't pretend that you're not, because you evidently are.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
KontanKarite

Woah... Brutal.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
electrosexual

Whoa those judges were cunts.

Well I thought you had great enthusiasm and flow. And kudos to you for standing gallantly in the line of fire of those wankers. They were mean.

Don't give up on your dream.

x x
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Xombie

It was no better than Tom Cruise in Risky Business.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
electrosexual

People stop! The girl gave it a try, gave it her all, and all you have are negative things to say. Focus on the positives!
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Alyss

Okay those people on Youtube are just so mean. Don't mind them really. Something like that happened to me a few times before. Yeah just don't let them get to you.

By the way, you remind me of Carrie Fisher.
Alyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Xombie

I would applaud her if I didn't think that this was just another attempt to be on television. The Paris Hilton show tipped me off (come on, Catch, do you REALLY want to be her "BFF"?), and wasn't she on another show previously?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
Sir Canvas Corpsey

It's always good to try, I plan on trying out when it next comes around, not because I have any illusions of being a good dancer but for fun. Good on you for giving something a shot!
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

People without talent have no reason to go to a talent show, let alone feel martyrs and misunderstood afterwards.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyss
Okay those people on Youtube are just so mean. Don't mind them really. Something like that happened to me a few times before. Yeah just don't let them get to you.
There will always be haters. If one is going to start performing in public, then the sooner you adapt to boos and hisses the sooner you will become thick skinned enough to last until you get your first applause.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
MollyMac

She whored herself out and didn't get paid because she had nothing to sell
Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrosexual
Focus on the positives!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie
I would applaud her
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
It's always good to try
For the love of god, don't you people see what you're doing? You're advancing the same moronic 'everyone gets a trophy for playing', 'just do your best' ethic that caused Catch to suffer embarrassment in the first place. I'm willing to bet the reason she initially believed herself skilled enough to audition for the show is that, all her life, spineless assholes who think Harrison Bergeron is a manual for the perfect society shied from telling her she sucked in order to avoid hurting her feelings. Could Catch be a good dancer, if she have devoted herself to it and practiced diligently as people who qualified for So You Think You Can Dance have? Probably, but she never bothered, because, after all, she has
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
great enthusiasm
right?
Those judges weren't 'cunts'. They were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Showing up and running back and forth across the stage like Catch did is an insult to the contest, to the people competing in that contest, and to dance itself. To do what Catch did is to say 'to me, this art form is a joke.' She wasted their time with a routine she KNEW, unless she's completely retarded, to be of less than professional quality. Wouldn't you be pissed off? I would be.
Catch, you suck. Either work on getting better, or don't bother.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
People without talent have no reason to go to a talent show, let alone feel martyrs and misunderstood afterwards.
Oh I have talent and I can dance (when i'm serious about it) just i'd never make it anywhere far on the show XD

Gothicus, if people didn't try new things they'd never figure out what they were good and what they were not. I only watched the video and I just saw a woman seeing if she still had the groove, I in no way, believe that everyone will get prize or should get one.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

This is the equivalent of finding a "poem" in the literature section entitled "My Heart Is Dark"
Or the creation of a new pop punk song called "Sk8er 4evr" by Avril Lavigne.

Why is the lack of talent, creativity, uniqueness, progressiveness, or art not compensated in those cases by "effort"?

Why do you not encourage these cases just as you did Catch?

The most probable reason is because you yourselves can't dance and don't see an art to it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
Gothicus, if people didn't try new things they'd never figure out what they were good and what they were not. I only watched the video and I just saw a woman seeing if she still had the groove, I in no way, believe that everyone will get prize or should get one.
This makes no fucking sense.
Why would someone seeking to 'try something new' do that by auditioning for a dance competition? If I'm an out of shape high school student looking to learn how to play football, I don't do that by trying out for varsity. If Catch wanted to see if she 'still had the groove' (though I doubt she ever had it) she could have done so in, say, her living room. All she had to do to determine that she was not up to par was watch the show once.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #19
MollyMac

And the thing with dance is that while it is an art, there is a fuckton of science and training behind it to make it look easy especially when it is hardest. Seeing someone muddle through what looked like an afterthought of a grapevine, all the while looking as if she is chewing gum... it's an insult to people who spend their lives perfecting pointe, turnout, leaps and lands.

Dance is emotive, but emotion without technique and skill is just a hippie waving her arms
Old 07-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
Xombie

When I said I would applaud her, I meant I might give her a pat on the back for being brave enough to throw herself out there with potential embarrassment on a TV show, but as I said, it's not the first time she's done it. No, Gothicus, I did not mean to say that I actually enjoyed her performance, nor do I think she should ever dance in public. Did you miss my Risky Business comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
If Catch wanted to see if she 'still had the groove' (though I doubt she ever had it) she could have done so in, say, her living room.
She already tried this in her Paris Hilton video, which was just as bad. :[
Old 07-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #21
Sir Canvas Corpsey

You don't do it, but the world isn't made of people like you so that just ends that argument I hope. Also this story seems like the beginnings of another teenage movie about some youth overcoming odds (that aren't really that great)

Now question; for my solo for my 2nd half of final year of school should I do contemporary with Kabuki influences or just go full bore Kabuki? It's a story based dance rather than technical so i'm leaning to the latter, but any suggestions would be nice.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #22
Alyss

The remarks were inevitable, I gotta admit. Maybe it's time to think what's next for her. It's either she quits or strives harder. And well, remarks like those may actually prove to be helpful to people who really want to be better. If she got that ticket to Vegas, I'm afraid it would be a slap in the face for those who really deserve it at that time.
Alyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #23
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie
When I said I would applaud her, I meant I might give her a pat on the back for being brave enough to throw herself out there with potential embarrassment on a TV show, but as I said, it's not the first time she's done it. No, Gothicus, I did not mean to say that I actually enjoyed her performance, nor do I think she should ever dance in public. Did you miss my Risky Business comment?

She already tried this in her Paris Hilton video, which was just as bad. :[
I just haphazardly picked some quotes that seemed to express the sentiment I was criticizing. Sorry if I threw you in with jackasses when doing so wasn't warranted.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #24
Tristanna

Sorry, that was cringey to watch, i felt embarressed for you .

I understand what people are saying about give it a go but if you had been my friend before id have told you tha truth not to do it.
Tristanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #25
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I hate to say it but Molly is in a position to critique as she is trains long and hard in dancing. I got applause tap dancing at the Disneyland hotel on stage when I was 11 but it took me several years of lessons and twice/weekly practice to achieve that.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote