Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Haex

Human Bone Smuggling

Was going to post about this when the article came out, but got sidetracked... It's still pretty new, so fuqkit...

The export of human remains was banned in India during the '80s when questions were raised about how they were procured. Seems that one way is when poorer people cremate their dead, they can't afford enough wood to turn all the remains to ash, so they dump the bones into the river where tradition dictates the ash would be thrown.

The bones go mainly to medical students and practitioners of Tibetan Buddhism, where the femurs and skulls are used as blow-horns and drinking vessels, respectively. I'm too lazy/lack proper resources(the wikipedia article doesn't include it), so does anybody know more about how and why they are used in Tibetan Buddhist ceremonies?

Reuters Article(had to break it up since the forum won't let me post links, apparently since I qualify as a "new member", my account being only a year old and all...):
reuters. - com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSDEL10463220070619
Haex is offline   Reply With Quote