Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:15 AM   #1
Neurosis

College Experiences

I am in the process to apply for colleges, and it's beginning to stress me out. I have already taken the SATs (without studying or prior knowledge as to how the test works) and scored a 1300. I'm taking it again in December. Also the rest with applications, fees, financial aid, deadlines, college tours (I'm visiting Hofstra University today), scholarships, on-time recommendations, and all the rest.

I am interested in applying for Columbia University, which is nearby where I live and easier to commute. I do not plan to leave New York, but I will apply to a few out of state colleges, in case if no in-state colleges accept me. It's hard to manage my schedule, since I have extra-curricular activities on the weekends and college credit courses.

Please share your experiences, the simple and the difficult. (even if you are in the process, like I am)

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Draconysius

I'm about to enter college, once I get my driver's license. I don't know much about it, except that it's a place I'm likely to meet people that actually share interests with me. I'm hoping on taking music, art, and philosophy, at least to see how I like them.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:03 AM   #3
Born Again

I'm applying for college soon as well. I have five I'm applying to:

Centre College: Danville, Kentucky
Transylvania University : Lexington, Kentucky
Asbury College: Wilmore, Kentucky
Union College: Barbourville, Kentucky
Cumberland College: Williamsburg, Kentucky

I'll most likely major in psychology.

I have a few guaranteed recommendations, one from a retired New York Times editor, a four star general, my preacher, and an editor that works for Oxford University.

As for tuition, my parents will contribute some....then I'll have to get student loans for the rest.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
MissGracie

Unhappy

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead!

I am also immersed in the pre-college experience. I'm only a Junior, I'll be taking the SAT in May, and right now I'm deciding which colleges to visit. Most days I feel horrible, overwhelmed, anxious, sickened, confused, annoyed, and completely hopeless about it. My biggest problem is that I have no passion for any certain subject and don't particularly relish the idea of having a career. The things I am interested in either do not pay well at all or are things I feel I am incapable of doing (i.e. anything that involves strong interpersonal skills or math).

What I would appreciate is advice, tips, recounts of your own experiences, anything at all really. What college are you planning to/are you attending? How well do you do in your classes, at college and highschool? Are you one of those people with a special talent? Did you know what you wanted to do? How did you deal with stress/problems you had? etc.

I don't know anyone that is in college, so that's why I came here
Being a teenager just really sucks.
MissGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
AngelikDemonik

I've been in college for five years due to the fact I've changed my major several times. First it was Nursing, then it was "IdontknowwhyImheresoIlltakeliberalarts", then it was Elementary Education, now it's back to Nursing, in which I am sticking to. I have an Associate's of Arts degree, and I'll be getting an Associate's of Science in Nursing degree when I'm done.

My best advice--Know what you want to do before you enter college. It will save you years and lots of student loan money. Just based off of my personal experience.

I've gotten straight 4.0's in college since I've been in, by the way.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #6
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGracie
or are things I feel I am incapable of doing (i.e. anything that involves strong interpersonal skills or math).
Have you checked how much those subjects would involve those skills? Maybe they wouldn't be as bad as you think. I'm studying physics, even though I'm not that keen on maths, feels like it was a bad idea sometimes.

University life is great fun though. I'd say make sure you look at what the area would be like to live in (if you're moving away?). Most of the places I looked at, seemed largely the same in terms of the course, so I based on my decision on how much I wanted to live there. Except for one place that came off as being extremely stuck up.

Hmm I don't know how much more advice I can give, things are different here. I have no idea what an SAT is or what 4.0 means.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
Solumina

The SAT is a type of entrance exam that you take as many times as you want (but it is only offered at certain places and times) and you send your best score to schools along with your application (the higher the score the better but every school has its own standard) and a 4.0 is essentially having an A average (btw kudos angelik for having a 4.0)

My only advice for you is to go to a school that you feel some connection to (not just one that others have recommended or that your parents like) and to live on campus your freshmen year if you can as that is really how you get to know people and what is going on around the campus
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
The SAT is a type of entrance exam that you take as many times as you want (but it is only offered at certain places and times) and you send your best score to schools along with your application (the higher the score the better but every school has its own standard) and a 4.0 is essentially having an A average (btw kudos angelik for having a 4.0)
Ah, thanks. Yeh its not like that here. Our way is usually to send an application to six universities, with your current qualifications, and then they choose whether or not to accept you. They might ask for an interview but in most cases theres no entrance exam. Of course most people apply before they have their last set of exam results from A Level or collage, so usually even if you get accepted it says "providing your exam results are at least...".
Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Ah, thanks. Yeh its not like that here. Our way is usually to send an application to six universities, with your current qualifications, and then they choose whether or not to accept you. They might ask for an interview but in most cases theres no entrance exam. Of course most people apply before they have their last set of exam results from A Level or collage, so usually even if you get accepted it says "providing your exam results are at least...".
That sounds like a better system as over here once you get accepted you still have about half a year of high school left and most people just stop trying, as long as you still graduate you still get to go the the university, even if you get terrible grades
-Carbon Leaf
Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Learn to love abusing your liver. That is all the advice I have.

Edit to add: Also, if you don't know exactly what you want to do, work on getting your generals out of the way for the first couple of semesters. That way, when you change your mind, you don't wind up with a bunch of classes that won't count for anything. I started nursing, then drifted all over the place until I found outdoor education. I went to school for four years for an AAS, since I was moderately retarded when selected classes.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
MollyMac

^agrees^

I basically took my liver to a cage match and left it in the octagon with Chuck Liddell. Ow.

take generals of course, but cast thine net wide and cover a ton of areas. it's funny what you may ultimately find interesting. I went from Biology/Anat/Phys to Art History and Religion. I ended up in law. *shrugs*
Old 04-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
Duane

...College... you know... lately, I've been wanting to go to college. I just don't know what I want to major in... music, maybe some art thing... I really have no idea.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
MollyMac

have fun with your first year and then start to knuckle down into making what you want to study work for you in the long term...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Duane

Wait... I want to major in... let's see... creative writing! Hell yeah!!!Maybe Greek Mythology! BWU HA HA HA...oh... fuck... I don't think I'll be able to get into any colleges, though. I've had horrible grades all my life.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
MollyMac

Don't sell yourself short, man. You never know what's available until you get the fuck out there.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Duane

Thanks, MollyMac.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
MollyMac

I'll be a reference for you, :P

Seriously, if you don;t think you got the grades, work community/tech college for general ed to build your education resume` up. I'm not a rah-rah, but I can see you're not a fucking idiot or moron. Ya just need to knuckle down and get some of the crap work and classes done and then the sailing will be smoother for what you want.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #18
MissGracie

But I don't want to spend a couple of years just trying to figure out what I want to do. That's a waste of time, money and effort. I think I'm making a little headway with this. Now I just don't know what to believe about college. They say that they actually teach you things and pay attention to you and want to help you, but then again everyone makes it sound so impossible and hardly worth it. There's stress about getting in, about the SAT, about where you go, and then all the work you have to do once you're in. There's also all of the debt people get into, and you might not even get a great job after all that work and money. People make it sound like its just like highschool, but others say it's completely different. The people that go say its a must while people that haven't say its a waste of time, maybe they're the ones that are right, or maybe they are just losers like I think they are. I don't want to go to college, because I don't think I'll get anything out of it, I'm too shy to function, I have no motivation for a career because I don't even want one. I want to get married and never have to work. I'm not lazy or anything, just insecure and old fashioned. Women shouldn't have to work. I hate not knowing anything. I thought I was getting somewhere, but now I don't know. The more I think about it the more confusing everything gets. I wish I could stop thinking. I wish I could be a Stepford wife. That would be really wonderful.

How do you know who's telling you lies and who's telling the truth?

On a side note, I like my liver just the way it is, thank you.
MissGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
Solumina

University is nothing like high school. Yes it is a lot of work but it isn't much harder than high school plus you actually get to learn interesting things, pick topics for yourself, and form bonds with the people teaching you (as long as you actually make the effort to talk to them). Don't spend a few years trying to figure things out, take a wide range of subjects your first two semesters, this would not be a waste of time as you can use these classes for general education or elective credits and it will help you to better understand yourself (I know it sounds corny but it is true). If you really aren't sure if continuing your education is something you want to do then go to the registrar's office at a school near you and see if it would be possible to audit a class (you don't have to pay but you also don't get any credit for being in the class) or you can take a few classes at a community college (it takes about two years to finish an associates degree at a community college and they are substantially less expensive than four-year colleges and universities so this may be a good route for you if you are concerned with time and money)
-Carbon Leaf
Old 04-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
sadistically_romantic

I'm having quite the same amount of difficulties. I've backed out of some of the things I've needed to do to get in it's pathetic. My intentional plan was to open my own bar and grill in Dalton Georgia. There aren't very many and I think that we hae the demand to hold the business here. But the closer it comes down to it, the closer I was to backing down. I thought about not even going at all. Of course I realized that I need to get further education. I live in the carpet capital of the world and those are going down hill fast. So I am either going to go to the community college (which is easier) or I am going to go to Atlanta to persue my future goal. I will be the first one to go to college in my family which adds to the stress of going. I think all the stress will be worth it. So I'm going to try to stick it out. I think you'll never know how you'll handle it until you atleast try.
sadistically_romantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #21
Duane

Ugh... I hate living in a town with no community college of it's own... it doesn't... you can look it up for yourself. West Wendover... closest college would be... meh... I don't know, there's the Uni at Salt Lake, Grand Canyon Uni...
Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #22
Catch

Well I had two college experiences. One I worked and went to school part-time. That one was more fun. I worked as a delivery driver, so I used my tip money to buy boose and hangout with my friends. Put my part-time schedule to the afternoon, went to work and partied. Unfortunately, often I skipped class in order to sleep. My grades where aweful and barely graduated at all. Plus it took longer than usual to graduate. I was stressed about work, friends and life in general after it was all over.

The second experience was going back to college. I had a part-time job taking care of my Mom, who has MS. I had hardly any social life, except, for going to austin to visit friends occassionally on the weekend and hanging out with a couple people around town. I was always broke and stuck at home. It gave me time to study and I did. My number one priority was going to school. I never missed any classes and got A's and B's. I graduated on time, but now my social life is in the crapper. I'm still happier that I'm done and free. Except, now my parents want me to go back and get a Master's Degree.

You know, it would be most helpful if I really knew what I want to do with my life. Frankly, jworking in an office all day isn't appealing at all.

Lately, I've had job offers, then just blow off whomever offered the job.

Yep, I'm living with my grandmother now. She thinks I'm working at Pizza Hut part-time while looking for a real job. Little does she know, I never went. Just blow it off. I also was offered a job as a content writer. First day came and went. Never showed. I was offered a job as a stock consultant for a retirement firm. First day came and went.

I'm so not happy with working anymore. I've stopped working at all. May have gotten offered another job, might be for writing or artwork. They already sent the retainer, but I don't know what the job is for. They were supposed to send an e-mail explaining the check. I haven't deposited the check. I don't know what it is for.

Yep, maybe I'll take this one. Maybe I could just go on Deal or No Deal so atleast while I'm trying to figure things out, I have some money.

Seriously, it is so unhealthy. I feel totally on edge and my credit is getting flushed down the toilette, but here I am now with a degree and no interest in using it.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #23
ThreeEyesOni

The only worthwhile advice that I can give is this:

If you start college, do not under any circumstances take a break or drop out. I made the mistake of taking two semester off and it made me have to spend more money and take more time, not to mention was a royal pain in the ass.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #24
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
The only worthwhile advice that I can give is this:

If you start college, do not under any circumstances take a break or drop out. I made the mistake of taking two semester off and it made me have to spend more money and take more time, not to mention was a royal pain in the ass.
Yes and no, if your school has a limit on how long you can take a break for without getting kicked out then you don't have as much of a problem ending the break and getting back to school in a decent amount of time (with my school it is one semester). But if you do go over that limit then chances are that you aren't going to finish anywhere near on time
-Carbon Leaf
Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #25
Raptor

So new advice:
File your paper!!!
Pretty much everything I've done besides lab work has been on loose paper, and I had it all in a pile since christmas until now. Its taken over 2 hours to sort out, gah.