Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Batcave

What does belong to Gothic?

Hi!
In advance sorry for my english. I have a question about gothic subculture. I am from Russia, and unfortunatelly the thoughts about the subculture of people there don't correspond with real "gothic" life.
Can you tell me some information (the best variant is to give the links to authoritative sources) about the gothic subculture, to be more concrete, the info that proves that Gothic Metal doesn't belong to the goth's subculture, Does electronic music (darcwave, EBM) refer to it, and if there any world outlook (ideology) of goths?
And please, answer the question, who is goth? Can we call the goth a person, who wears casual clothes?
And what can u say about the words "Gothic is for each person is his/her own"?
Thank you.
Batcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Sir Canvas Corpsey

A Goth is someone who listens to Goth Rock, bands include:

Siouxsie and the Banshees
Sisters of Mercy
Bauhaus
The Cure

I think Joy Division may be one, but I'm never sure.

Plenty of Goths can and do wear casual clothes, trying to doll up like some sort of "uber leather bondage goth thing" generally doesn't look too good at a job interview or while working, not to mention it's kind of ugly.

I'm 99% sure there's no world outlook, it's not some idealogical culture aiming for a certain change in thinking as far as I'm aware.

"Gothic is for each person is his/her own" is bullshit, that's just some feel good crap that people use to try and reinforce their sense of individual identity. Naturally though, everyone will like different bands and songs in the Goth Rock genre, and that's about as far as you can stretch that statement.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Batcave

Sir Canvas Corpsey, thank you. And what is about gothic metal? If the person listens to it, how is it possible to demonstrate, that it is not goth's music? or is goth's?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Ben Lahnger

Okay, Batcave, with only 2 posts and before you go on, you need to do the following:

1) Read For the Newbies!! Yes, that means You!.

2) Introduce yourself properly in the Introductions forum.

3) Read Goth With A Sledgehammer.

If you still have questions after that, then ask them here.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Batcave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I've read it. Still i have questions: about gothic metal and dark electro...
Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Ben Lahnger

Yeah? Then this would be the part where you go ahead and ask those questions ... as I said. Although there is a music forum HERE, but I don't think it matters that much.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
PortraitOfSanity

Dark Electro is terrible. Switch to Agrrotech or something, you'll thank me later.

Gothic Metal is really broad. Everything from the good stuff like My Dying Bride and The Gathering, to new age crap like Evanescence. You'll have to be more specific as to what you're into.

Technically, neither genre is "Gothic" though. Just dark.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Batcave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Okay, Batcave, with only 2 posts and before you go on, you need to do the following:

Read Goth With A Sledgehammer.
As far as i understood from this post a person is not a goth if he doesn't correspond with the statement "You feel the need to spend a lot of time creating things (music, art, poetry, philosophies, stories and the like)".

But, if a person listens to goth rock/post-punk and enjoy it ONLY without desires of creating smth, he or she is not goth?

Why we call people who listen to punk-rock punks, but people who listen to goth-rock not goths only because they have no creativity?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Sinjob

I think you may have to re-phrase that last one, Batcave. I don't know if I understand.

But on a side note, welcome to the boards, fellow Russian goth! haha
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Batcave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
I think you may have to re-phrase that last one, Batcave. I don't know if I understand.
ok, in other words: is it necessary for goth to "..feel the need to spend a lot of time creating things (music, art, poetry, philosophies, stories and the like)"?

And if the person doesn't feel it, but only listens to goth-rock?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Alan

Nah, don't listen to that part you quoted. Someone that only fits into "listens to goth rock" is a goth.
Goth with a Sledgehammer romanticizes what 'goth' is and puts too many qualifiers to being a goth.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batcave View Post

But, if a person listens to goth rock/post-punk and enjoy it ONLY without desires of creating smth, he or she is not goth?

Why we call people who listen to punk-rock punks, but people who listen to goth-rock not goths only because they have no creativity?
A person who listens to Gothic Rock is a Goth, regardless of whether they are creative or not.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
blindNsect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batcave View Post
ok, in other words: is it necessary for goth to "..feel the need to spend a lot of time creating things (music, art, poetry, philosophies, stories and the like)"?

And if the person doesn't feel it, but only listens to goth-rock?
I think the most important thing is to be creative no matter what you do, and what you are.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
A person who listens to Gothic Rock is a Goth, regardless of whether they are creative or not.
Listen to this chick.
She knows her shit.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote