Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Tall One In Black

Show your work

I looked for a thread like this but didn't see one. I thought it would be nice to share our recent projects.

Here are some fuzzy slippers I made. They have claws.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
The Minister Saint-Fond

Those are lovely, TOIB. You seem awfully crafty. I wish I was handy with a needle and thread for something other than sewing buttons back on to shirt cuffs.

You know what they say, "Idle hands spend time at the genitals. And we all know how much God hates that!" ;^)

How did you get started in fashion? Did you learn from a family member or a book?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
rockandrose

GORGEOUS slippers!! I want them!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
NightwishCobain

they are so cool i loves them you are so lucky! lol
NightwishCobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minister Saint-Fond
How did you get started in fashion? Did you learn from a family member or a book?
My mom sewed when I was growing up. I picked up a lot just by watching her. I've also read a few books.

I got the idea for the slippers from a Scary Godmother book. The ones I made are sort of a prototype but they turned out okay. Now that I worked out the kinks in the process, I might make another, better pair.

I've been toying with the idea of selling some of the crafts and clothes I make. My main problem is that I don't think they're good enough. Having feedback helps me refine things; maybe I'll eventually have enough confidence to sell some things. I'll post in "shill" when that happens.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
NyQuil of Doom

If you go to General and find my Halloween pics in the Picture Post... I made the cloak I was wearing. It's really the only impressive thing I've managed to take a picture of.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
slipshodsally

Those slippers are so cute!!!!
I sew a lot too. A good place to get new project ideas is craftster.org, it's down today for changing servers, but it will be up again soon!
slipshodsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
Auriane

Cute slippers ^_^

Here's a picture of a skirt I made myself, It's not all that visible, I know. I made it mostly because I didn't have any other skirt wide enought to fall nicely when worn over my hoop skirt.

http://www.auriane.be/pic12.htm
Auriane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
rockandrose

Aurine is pretty. I thought so when she first arrived.

Is there any wiring underneath the skirt?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:58 AM   #10
Auriane

I was wearin a petticoat underneat the skirt (this one).

It was taken at a festival in Germany. It's called M'era Luna, lasts two days, has about 40 bands performing, and has a giant market with at least 50 shops selling gothy clothes and accesories. I love it!
Festivals are very much a European thing, I guess. Here in Belgium there are at least ten every weekend, as long as the weather is good. Very little are gothic, of course, but there's at least one metal festival every weekend, which is almost as good.
Auriane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #11
winged_dreams

Lucky! I would love to go to a goth festival (although I would have nothing to wear XD). It would be so much fun and I could meet awesome people. ^^

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
succubus,queenofvampires

Nice slippers,TOIB.You're really creative.I want a pair of them...
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
Betrothed2Death

I'm afraid to post stuff that I've made because.. well.. yeah let's just say my seamstress skills aren't exactly up to par yet. Aheh. But I'd be more than willing to post some sketches of my designs I really do want to improve in the sewing department so I could actually make some of my clothes. But until I can sew in a straight line... I guess I'll just have to sketch... *sigh*
Betrothed2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
Betrothed2Death

By the way, Auriane, LOVE THE AVATAR!! Yes, we're rocking the Mana-love-ness :P
Betrothed2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
Corpus_Draconis

I want to get good enough to make one of those coats that the guys wore in all the rococo paintings, the ones that are reasonably fitted on top but flare really nicely below the waist. I love those! *dreams* There's also a shirt that I saw in Vogue or something and it's got a reall nice corsetesque body, and the sleeves are huge, pleated, gathered, and have giant cuffs, which are absolutely stunning. But... price tag was 1700$... Dammit I wanna be able to sew!!!

I do have to make a textile project for sculpture... though that would be stupidly complicated to do in two weeks, and I'd need to find an idea/something behind it... Ahhh.....
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #16
bunnicula

Hahahaha! Corpus Draconius, I love your site: Tampons- For Blood! It made me laugh.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #17
Corpus_Draconis

Someone was complaining about tampon marketing and said that would be a good idea for a tampon box, so I drew it. I kinda feel bad cuz the gun caused my mother to flip out, but then again, she took it out of context...

*is excited* I went to the fabric store today and got some lace and this really cool material

which I am going to make some pants out of at some point. There's only 2.2 metres of it tho... If I can't get long pants, I'll just have to make them short. It was on sale for 3$/metre.

The lace is for a 3$ black cane umbrella that I also bought. I'm sewing the lace onto it to make it into a parasol. Unfortunately, I didn't get enough of the big lace to go around the outside (it covered all but 2 sections of the umbrella . ) so I'm gonna have to get some more tomorrow. I'm not done yet though; I'm going to sew thinner lace in 2 or 3 rows farther up. Even with just the lace on the outside it looks really spiffy. The lace was 5 metres for 99 cents. *flaps arms* I'm so happy!!

Another thing I want to do is take a plain, clear umbrella (perhaps colourless, perhaps not...) and sew fishnet under it, then use it for rainy days. Ideally, I would rip the clear stuff of it's umbrella and put it on my current one, which opens AND closes automatically (I don't like the fabric that's on it right now).
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #18
Corpus_Draconis

I pinned together a skirt this morning. It's crepe-back satin with black lacy-ish-but-not-really-stuff over it.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #19
[dark matter]

Thats really cool material Corpus. It'll make some interesting pants. I like your parosel too. ^^
[dark matter] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
Corpus_Draconis

Thanx I only hope no one throws it away "by accident."
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
end.of.eternity

Corpus, very nice! I like it could wear it myself.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #22
Iriacynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus_Draconis
The lace was 5 metres for 99 cents. *flaps arms* I'm so happy!!
I'm SO moving to wherever you live. In my town, the cheapest lace you can find is like 5 dollars for one metre. Unfortunately, I can't sew very good, and I'm afraid to try new things because I don't want to spend lots of money on materials that I might have to throw away if my ideas don't work out. It's often cheaper to buy clothes in a not-so-good-store than to sew them, so I usually take the lazy option.

That parasol looks pretty wow-y!
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote