Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:34 AM   #501
Beneath the Shadows

Can we get a forum dedicated to religion topics? (I have the feeling I asked this before, but I can't remember.)

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #502
Steppenwolf

PLEASE , someone could make here a "Humor" section? In other goth forums they can enjoy it right now ...
Old 10-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #503
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
PLEASE , someone could make here a "Humor" section? In other goth forums they can enjoy it right now ...
Tell us a joke, and if it's funny, then maybe...
Old 10-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #504
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net
Tell us a joke, and if it's funny, then maybe...
A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks, "Why the long face?"

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 10-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #505
Cyntrox

I laughed at your signature, Gothic.net, ironically xD
Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #506
Steppenwolf

...I should have know , my fault ...

Was bts joke funny enough?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #507
Corpsey

I know a few terrible jokes I learned while working at a horror themed maze.. Wanna hear a few, completely non-related to horror?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #508
Beneath the Shadows

Sure, let's hear.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #509
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Can we get a forum dedicated to religion topics? (I have the feeling I asked this before, but I can't remember.)
I'd enjoy that as well. The people here seem a bit more intelligent than on other forums, and I'd love to learn what other people think when it comes to religion.
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #510
Rosie

PMs for the non uber-posters. I should need to make hundreds of posts just to contact people I used to talk to on the forum way back when. Surely it's enough I'm an oldbie?
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #511
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
PMs for the non uber-posters. I should need to make hundreds of posts just to contact people I used to talk to on the forum way back when. Surely it's enough I'm an oldbie?
Would be nice, oh lord gnet...
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #512
drewsilla

I don't know if this has been posted, but I would LOVE to see spellcheck.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #513
Underwater Ophelia

I wouldn't. Helps tell the difference between those who are good in English, and those who aren't.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #514
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

Be cool to have image signatures...
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
~Angel_Of_Darkness~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 AM   #515
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsilla
I don't know if this has been posted, but I would LOVE to see spellcheck.
If you use Firefox (and turn on the built-in dictionary) you will have spellcheck everywhere you go on the net.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #516
Delkaetre

Information on the criteria required to get your PM privileges and who you may then contact with them (and if they may contact you)
-How many posts total required
-how many posts per day/week required or how many hours on G.Net per day/week required
-who you may contact if you fulfil the above
-who will be able to reply to you, if you contact them

Not all of us can be very active, and personally I often prefer to watch threads until there's something I want to say rather than just jumping in and spraying speech to get my activity and post count up. If we go missing for over a week (say, on holiday?), would that cause our activity to go down again and thus our PM privileges to be revoked?
People keep saying that Private Messaging has been restored. I just want to know precisely which conditions it's been restored to us under.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #517
Methadrine

I could answer that one for you but only based on my own little calculations, but I'm not sure the admins would like users to describe how the forum software works from "the other side".

...and yes, a revised FAQ that mirrors the changes would be appreciated.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #518
Delkaetre

This is the thing- as you say, you can offer your own theories based on your personal observations. But I've seen suggestions that you need anything between 200 and 600 posts to use PMs, and similarly that the recipient needs at least that many if you're to send them anything. As you suggest- a single, codified, updated FAQ would be appreciated indeed.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #519
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
If you use Firefox (and turn on the built-in dictionary) you will have spellcheck everywhere you go on the net.
I use that all the time. It's a really great feature.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #520
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Information on the criteria required ...
We'd really like to encourage normal good conversation, as well as provide extra features for regular contributing participatory members. Certainly an argument for clarity in post count goals (or whatever the criteria is) and such could be made, but the theory is that if we stated that someone needed 157 posts to have access to PMs, they would simply blather out 157 nearly meaningless posts to get through that gate. If you put a number out there, people naturally drive to surpass it. Maybe it's ignorant and/or short sighted on our part, but we're just not convinced outlining the criteria, or setting it in stone, is more likely to encourage the sort of participation we want.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #521
Delkaetre

However, if you do not tell us when our PMing rights have been returned and at what point they have been, what's the point in returning them? Are we supposed to send a test-message every 20-odd posts, just in case? How are we to know who we may send messages to?
Perhaps you could consider implementing a system whereby those who become eligible for use of the PM system are notified via PM- thus it is not a public post, and notifies only the members who are affected by it, as they become affected. Admittedly this has failings in that it does not notify anyone of who they may now contact, but it's better than nothing, or the 'test message' idea.
Refusal to outline the necessary post number required to use PMs strikes me as a rather inefficient way of limiting spam posts. Some people, if unable to PM but aware that they may with more posts, will just spam anyway. And many will spam regardless of the post count required. The refusal to offer a clear number suggests that you do not trust your members, is insulting to those members of enough integrity not to spam just for an extra privilege that will rarely be used, and will likely have little effect on those who would spam the forums with meaningless posts anyway.
I apologise if my manner is rather sharp- it's 5.47am here, and I've not slept yet. I'm taking a brief break from work for some online communications.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #522
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net
We'd really like to encourage normal good conversation, as well as provide extra features for regular contributing participatory members. Certainly an argument for clarity in post count goals (or whatever the criteria is) and such could be made, but the theory is that if we stated that someone needed 157 posts to have access to PMs, they would simply blather out 157 nearly meaningless posts to get through that gate. If you put a number out there, people naturally drive to surpass it. Maybe it's ignorant and/or short sighted on our part, but we're just not convinced outlining the criteria, or setting it in stone, is more likely to encourage the sort of participation we want.
But if you don't give a number, soon enough you're going to get people who spam until they get it anyway, if they really want it. I've been posting a lot of meanginless posts because I REALLY want PM. Clearly your plan isn't working. Though, if you were to grant me and the other sin this thread PM rights I'd 1) Stop Bitching, 2) Contribute much better.

It doesn't work like that. It's best to just give people PMs 1 day after their first post that way they're not just random bots joining up to spam people, or something like that.

Most forums allow PMs from the get go. Very, very few forums have any real PM restrictions. It really isn't in people's best interest, as it forces all relations out in the public which can be very daunting for newbies who may want to get to know a few people personally.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #523
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
This is the thing- as you say, you can offer your own theories based on your personal observations. But I've seen suggestions that you need anything between 200 and 600 posts to use PMs, and similarly that the recipient needs at least that many if you're to send them anything. As you suggest- a single, codified, updated FAQ would be appreciated indeed.
OOI, do you have PMs?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #524
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
But if you don't give a number, soon enough you're going to get people who spam until they get it anyway, if they really want it. I've been posting a lot of meanginless posts because I REALLY want PM. Clearly your plan isn't working. Though, if you were to grant me and the other sin this thread PM rights I'd 1) Stop Bitching, 2) Contribute much better.

It doesn't work like that. It's best to just give people PMs 1 day after their first post that way they're not just random bots joining up to spam people, or something like that.

Most forums allow PMs from the get go. Very, very few forums have any real PM restrictions. It really isn't in people's best interest, as it forces all relations out in the public which can be very daunting for newbies who may want to get to know a few people personally.
Why is it that you're respectful only to people who give you things?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #525
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Why is it that you're respectful only to people who give you things?
I never said that. You're purposely trying to make me out to be selfish based on my views on one thing. You have no interest in who's wrong or right, only what clever little trites you can shoot out to make yourself feel more justified. GTFO is that's all you're in this thread to do. I was told to appeal in a more respectful manner so that's what I'm dong. But I still think the restrictions on PMs are insanely stupid.