Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
Deadmanwalking_05

The Armed Citizen

http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/

Mississippi: Meat Market Employee Shoots Back
Posted by Clayton

Grenada, Mississippi

From the July 2, 2010 Grenada Star:

In a separate matter, two people have been arrested and charged in an incident from Friday, June 25.
According to Capt. James Carver, chief of detectives, two people he identified as Marquize Tillmon, 19, and Monique Lott, 22, have been arrested and charged with aggravated assault and attempted armed robbery stemming from an incident at Shaw’s Meat Market.
Carver said the two were brought back from Oxford in connection with an attempted robbery incident Friday morning.
According to Carver, an employee was opening Shaw’s Meat Market at about 4:30 a.m. Friday when someone fired shots at him. The employee returned fire and the shooter ran.
“After the incident, we contacted all area hospitals for possible gunshot victims for that day,” he said. “We were contacted by authorities with the Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department that they had a gunshot victim from Grenada.”
Lott was released from the hospital Friday with a minor gunshot wound and brought back to Grenada.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Deadmanwalking_05

I figure this would help others understand the reason behind gun ownership.

and I figured it would piss off an ANTI-Gunner or two.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Deadmanwalking_05

Another example...

Minnesota: Bouncer killed knife-wielding patron

Minneapolis, Minnesota

From the Star Tribune of July 13, 2010

Bouncer killed knife-wielding patron

A man armed with a knife slashed at a bouncer at a northeast Minneapolis bar before the bouncer shot and killed him early Sunday morning, police said.

Tirso Cruz Gomez, 24, of Columbia Heights was found bleeding to death from a gunshot wound when police arrived at Grumpy’s Bar, 2200 NE. 4th St., shortly before 1 a.m.

Police have spoken to the bouncer, who was detained at the scene and later released. The investigation will be passed on to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office, which determines whether charges will be filed.

Minneapolis Police Sgt. William Palmer said, “It does appear from our investigation that the bouncer was attempting to defend himself against an attack with a knife.”

It wasn’t clear why they were fighting. Gomez had apparently been at the bar earlier that evening before the confrontation, a witness said.

The bouncer has a legal permit to carry a pistol, police said, though they declined to make his name public. He tried to take the knife away from Gomez, and he required stitches for hand wounds, Palmer said.

The family of Gomez said his mother wanted only to say that “He was a good kid. That’s what she has to say at this time,” said Nicole Gomez, Gomez’s sister.

Gomez has no criminal record, according to public records searched by the Star Tribune.

A witness to the shooting said Gomez was still alive when police arrived.

“We exited the bar moments after it happened,” said Laura Amarillas, who was at the bar with friends. “What we saw was this young man, whom we had actually befriended that night, on the floor bleeding. There were others at his side trying to stop his bleeding and doing their best to aid him.”

Although the bouncer was armed, it’s not common for police to get called to Grumpy’s, a chain of three neighborhood bars known for things like Hotdish Night and karaoke. The owner of Grumpy’s said he did not want to comment about the shooting, “out of respect for this horrible event.”

The shooting at Grumpy’s occurred shortly after another deadly confrontation in Minneapolis early Sunday.

In the other incident, an 18-year-old St. Paul man has been arrested for a shooting in the 3800 block of Thomas Avenue N. that left one man dead, another critically wounded and a third victim with a non-life- threatening arm wound. The suspect was arrested Sunday afternoon and jailed on suspicion of murder.

The names of the victims have yet to be released.

Police are seeking the public’s help in the case. Anyone with information is asked to call Sgt. Chris Granger at 612-673-2945.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Tam Li Hua

O....kay.

I don't know if this means anything, but when I lived overseas in China, where guns are banned, I never heard of anyone getting robbed at gunpoint. I'm sure someone, somewhere did, but the idea never made its knowledge known to me.

Whether or not guns are allowed, people are going to find ways to physically threaten and hurt each other. However, a knife seems like it would be easier to avoid than a bullet from a gun.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
O....kay.

I don't know if this means anything, but when I lived overseas in China, where guns are banned, I never heard of anyone getting robbed at gunpoint. I'm sure someone, somewhere did, but the idea never made its knowledge known to me.

Whether or not guns are allowed, people are going to find ways to physically threaten and hurt each other. However, a knife seems like it would be easier to avoid than a bullet from a gun.

That's because successful crimes go unreported and unsolved,meaning the victim is too shit scared to say anything about it to authorities or is dead because of it.

Also the crimes probably had more to do with knives,clubs,hammers,ect.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Tam Li Hua

Heh heh. Not sure if that was really the case.

China is...a very weird place. You'd have to visit to understand.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
Deadmanwalking_05

I fail to see where any part of this discussion is a laughing matter.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Tam Li Hua

You are so strange..
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
You are so strange..
Right back at you Tam.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Tam Li Hua

Oh, don't I know it. lol
Old 07-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
Deadmanwalking_05

If the women involved were armed with a pistol instead of only a cellphone...

It would have ended a lot sooner and without the same level of damage.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/2010/...lly-assaulted/

Texas: Carjacking victims sexually assaulted
Posted by David

From the Houston Chronicle of July 5, 2010

Headline

A man suspected of kidnapping two women from a Houston fast food restaurant and sexually assaulting them in a terrifying four-hour ordeal early Monday is in a hospital after he crashed their vehicle in a police chase, the sheriff’s department said.

The women, who are in their mid-20s, were at the drive-thru at 2:30 a.m. when the suspect jumped into their Mustang convertible and held them at gunpoint, Harris County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Christina Garza said.

The suspect, whose name was not immediately released by authorities, forced the women to drive around for several hours, during which time he sexually assaulted them, Garza said.
He also forced them to drive to the apartment of one of the women to try and get money from her. When the suspect couldn’t find any money, they left and went to the other woman’s apartment, Garza said.

But the suspect was instead tricked by one of the women into going to an apartment complex in northwest Houston where her brother lived, Garza said.

There, she was able to call her brother on a cell phone and told him what was happening, Garza said.

“The brother is a concealed weapons permit holder,” she said. The brother confronted the suspect, allowing the second victim to escape. Garza said the brother fired at the suspect but didn’t hit him, and the suspect then took off in the victims’ car.

The suspect lead Harris County Sheriff’s Department deputies on a high speed chase that ended when he crashed the vehicle into parked cars at a body shop in northeast Houston.

The suspect, who was last reported in critical condition, will be charged with evading arrest but could face additional charges, Garza said.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Deadmanwalking_05

The latest from The Armed Citizen

North Carolina: Man at ATM fires back at would-be armed robber
Posted by David

Charlotte, North Carolina

From the Publication of July XX, 2010

Man at ATM fires back at would-be armed robber

Police say a man shot a would-be robber Thursday night at an east Charlotte ATM.

According to police, the man was attempting to use a Cash Points ATM on Eastway Drive at North Tryon Street around 11 p.m. A suspect seemingly saw that as an opportunity and tried to rob the victim at gunpoint.

However, that victim was also armed. He shot the suspect twice in the leg. Police officials report that suspect suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

CMPD officials are no longer interviewing the shooter in the case, who they say did cooperate with detectives in their investigation. No charges are pending against him.

The suspected robber will face charges once that person is released from the hospital.

Thanks to Laurence for sending in this tip!

Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #13
CptSternn

Quote:
Oh, don't I know it. lol
Don't feed the troll. Always remember - guns are for people who have small penises and want to feel important. Most have crappy lives and were abused at some stage of their lives, which is why they buy guns - in an effort to mask their personal shortcomings and give them a sense of control over their otherwise dictated lives.

Challenging their pro-gun attitude only fuels their own personal quest to make the world think they are some sort of unstoppable terminator. The reality is, they are more like a small scared child with a security blanket they clutch in efforts to scare off some imaginary boogie man. Having others believe there is a boogie man out there reinforces their core beliefs and again makes them feel important since they think they have the magic weapon that can protect themselves and whoever else chooses to buy into their diluted fantasy.

I could continue on for pages on these nutters. Most have never had any formal military training, as they physically could not even enter the military. Their gun obsession is a child-hood dream that they were never able to fulfill due to their lacking physique or some type of disability. Owning a gun, and letting the world know, is their way of attempting to show they are not a child but an adult.

And in the end, it does come down to a lot of mommy issues (and a small penis).
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
Deadmanwalking_05

But it's much more mature to take part in a riot that most likely was started by a police provacature throwing bits of brick,right Sternn?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
You must consider all of the important factors to arrive at the true reason:
In China, they execute criminals, quickly. No sitting on death row for 15 years.
This is a good deterrent against robbery.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #16
Deadmanwalking_05

Fresh from local newspaper headlines

Pennsylvania: Victims fight back against armed robber
Posted by David

LeHigh Valley, Pennsylvania

From the Morning Call of July 8, 2010

Victims fight back against armed robber

Two robbery victims turned the tables on their armed mugger early Thursday, beating him up, taking his gun and sending him running for cover, Stroud Area Regional police said.

That’s when police took over, arresting Jairo J. Mugaburu, 22, of Stroudsburg, a short distance away.

Police said the two victims, ages 23 and 21, were walking home at 12:48 a.m. Thursday and going through a cemetery in Stroudsburg when a man stepped out from the darkness and pulled a gun on them.

The man demanded the two men give up the money, but instead the 23-year-old robbery victim lunged at the gunman and they began fighting. The robber dropped his gun and the 21-year-old victim grabbed it, police said. The robber ran off, but not before one of the victims bit him in the right bicep, police said.

Police arrived and scoured the area looking for the suspect. Troopers with the state police’s Swiftwater barracks assisted in the search. Mugaburu was found on N. Sixth Street.

Both victims identified Mugaburu as the person who tried to rob them, police said, and he had a bite mark on his right bicep.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oklahoma: Police Identify Alleged Intruder Shot And Killed In Tulsa Apartment
Posted by David
Tulsa, Oklahoma

From News6 of July 15, 2010

Police Identify Alleged Intruder Shot And Killed In Tulsa Apartment

Tulsa Police say one of two men shot during a violent home invasion early Thursday morning has died. They identified him as 18-year-old Darreon Carter.

Carter was shot in the head and leg. The second suspect, 23-year-old Daniel Holman, remains in critical condition in a Tulsa hospital. He was shot in the head and stomach.

The men were shot by the resident in the apartment in what police say was a case of self-defense.

The incident happened at the Brighton Park Apartments at 51st and Yale shortly after a resident called 911 and said two intruders had been shot during a robbery. Tulsa Police were called to the scene shortly after 4 a.m. where they say a resident in the apartment fought back.

Police say a woman had just entered her apartment when two men forced their way inside and demanded money.

The suspects were armed with screwdrivers and demanded money. After the victim gave them money, they told her to take her clothes off but she refused.

The commotion awoke the woman’s boyfriend who came out of the bedroom and began struggling with the two intruders.

Police say the woman then got a handgun out of her purse and shot both intruders.

Carter died late Thursday morning.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
Deadmanwalking_05

Internet Cencorship begins

BREAKING: The Armed Citizen Among Those Sued in Infringement Witch Hunt

Posted by David

Today, The Armed Citizen received informal notice in the form of a media inquiry about a lawsuit against this website and its owners, David Burnett and Clayton Cramer. The lawsuit, reportedly filed in US District Court on July 20th, alleges that The Armed Citizen and its owners “willfully copied” original source content from the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

According to news reports, Righthaven LLC has reportedly filed lawsuits against 75 other political websites and/or blogs without prior contact or attempt at resolution. The sites include FreeRepublic.com, the Safe and Secure Internet Gambling Initiative and the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

The “offending” entries consist of six stories, some of which were short enough to qualify under the Fair Use Rule, out of nearly 4,700 entries. The six stories are still publicly available on the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s website, to which we linked.

The Armed Citizen has been excerpting articles from newspaper, TV station, and radio station websites for a number of years. If any copyright holders decided that The Armed Citizen had exceeded fair use, they only needed to send us an email. Instead, in a bid to target and intimidate small websites, they have chosen to pursue legal action.

At this time, the future of The Armed Citizen is uncertain, and possibly in jeopardy, thanks to Righthaven LLC and the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Their contact information is listed below.

Las Vegas Review-Journal
1111 W. Bonanza Road
P.O. Box 70
Las Vegas, NV 89125

Main phone number:
702-383-0211
Newspaper office number:
702-383-0264

Copy of Lawsuit (As forwarded by a reporter…The Armed Citizen has received no official notice of pending litigation.)

To e-mail David and Clayton, write to Tips@thearmedcitizen.com

Further information:

Las Vegas newspaper sues websites over use of content

Conservative website among 3 sued over R-J copyrights

LV Review-Journal may be violating law with selective copyright suits

REVIEW-JOURNAL SUES ITS OWN SOURCE

UPDATE: We have removed all postings except this one until such time as we can carefully review each one for compliance with Fair Use–and it is entirely possible that they will never come back. Make you sure thank the Las Vegas Review-Journal for destroying a valuable gun rights resource because they can’t figure out how to run a newspaper, and have to make their money with dozens of lawsuits filed against multiple organizations for unintentional violations of Fair Use.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #18
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Heh heh. Not sure if that was really the case.

China is...a very weird place. You'd have to visit to understand.
Yeah, they legally torture and kill people there for having different beliefs. Not a place I'd ever want to visit.

Sternn, I'm surprised that you would be an anti-gunner after all I've read from you over the years. Different things work in different places. I'm glad that people are too afraid of getting shot to break into people's houses where I live.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
Deadmanwalking_05

Update!

http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/2010/...awsuit-update/

Lawsuit Update

Jul
Posted by David

First things first. Lots of people want to know what’s going to happen, whether we will settle or fight.

We don’t know.

To be honest, neither of us have firmly decided one way or the other. When people start using the law in unorthodox ways to bully or extort from small nonprofit blogs, you don’t want to cave to them. Then you find out just how much it costs to stand on principle. Righthaven knows the breaking point for most people, hence the multiple low-key settlements.

Rest assured, Clayton, David and TheArmedCitizen will cooperate with the law to the fullest extent required. It was never our intent to infringe, and if such an infringement occurred, we will do our best to correct the error.

To clarify from the earlier post, Righthaven’s claim is based on just one article from May 2010. (The filing lists previous articles copied or excerpted from the Review-Journal in the past 7 years of website archives.)

In Our Favor…
For a company that goes around slapping bloggers with lawsuits, Righthaven’s decision to put The Armed Citizen in its sights may be imprudent. The owners hardly get rich off this site, and when the main contributor is a young kid fresh out of college, the financial returns aren’t going to be very handsome.

In short, these are the wrong pockets to pick.

That being said, while The Armed Citizen doesn’t have money, we do have friends. Lots of them. We’ve already received multiple encouraging e-mails and support from loyal readers. We hear you’ve been contacting the Journal-Review, and other allies like the NRA, for which we are extremely grateful. Please, don’t stop.

The publicity of this may be another factor Righthaven neglected. Already, the Review-Journal’s rival paper, the Las Vegas Sun, is running stories on these lawsuits. Wired.com ran a story which was then linked to on the Drudge Report. Reason magazine and World Net Daily are among other popular sources that have run with this story, along with countless bloggers.

More About Righthaven
Righthaven actually secured the copyright in July…or, nearly two months after the article appeared on the website. In other words, Righthaven attorneys preparing their litigious blitzkrieg found the article (likely because we linked back to their website), and in order to pursue statutory damages (as opposed to actual damages, which would be little to none), secured a copyright to the article after the fact.

Wired.com described the dozens of lawsuits as a business plan for gleaning copyright profits. This is hardly unfair, given the number of lawsuits filed.

Click here to read a list of the lawsuits filed by Righthaven since March 2010 (PDF)

This list itself is incomplete because Righthaven files new lawsuits constantly. On July 21, suits were filed against Free Speech Systems LLC and Americans for Democratic Action, Inc. More recently (July 26) suits were filed against Paula Bliss and former mob enforcer Anthony Fiato, both private bloggers. This brings the number of lawsuits from Righthaven to 81.

Click here to track ongoing lawsuits from Righthaven...

Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
Deadmanwalking_05

Continued

In Our Defense
There are several dubious claims made in the lawsuit, among which that we targeted advertising to the residents of Nevada, which is wholly false.

There is also a powerful argument in favor of fair use. According to copyright.gov, “The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission.”

Given the noncommercial and scholarly nature of the website, and the fact that we were collecting thousands of stories for the purposes of a silent-but-deafening commentary on armed self-defense – which recent events prove to be a pivotal issue of debate from both a Constitutional and a societal point of view – may contribute to a strong case for fair use.

Neither Clayton nor David have been served yet, and the case can’t proceed until we have received formal notice.

What Can You Do?

Pay – Every little bit helps. If we wind up having to settle, it will help offset those expenses. If not, then we promise we’ll use it to make the blog bigger and better than ever.

Pray – Most armed citizens know that life is governed by a higher power. We could certainly use your prayers for wisdom, and against the adversaries that have arisen.

Talk – Keep spreading the word about this lawsuit. Blog about it. (Yes, you can reproduce material here, including the image!) Tell your friends. Post it on Facebook. Help guarantee the full story about Righthaven is told on Wikipedia. Tip the news services about it, even the big ones. If you know copyright attorneys (especially in Nevada), send them our way.

Many of you have contacted the Review-Journal and reported back to us. The paper has asked you to direct your inquiries to two people, the managing editor and the chief counsel. Here is their information:

Managing Editor:
Charlie Zobell
czobell@reviewjournal.com.

Corporate Counsel:
Mark Hieneber
702-477-3830

We ask that you be polite, but we do ask you to contact them.

We thank you for your support and assistance. We trust that this matter will be resolved, and The Armed Citizen can return to providing you the content you’ve come to expect.

Sincerely,
David and Clayton

Further links
List of Righthaven-owned or affiliated newspapers to avoid
Does Righthaven’s Founder Have Ties to Obama?